Votes: 53 77.9%

• Total voters

Warrigal

Nov 11, 2006
Brisbane Australia
File to profile,
Stone to touch up,
but I strop.
And I do take the effort when I'm doing the major re-finish to 240, 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1200 wet and dry then polish the cutting edge ( back the best part of 2inches from the edge) with metal polishing paste and a cork sanding block (apply the polish straight on the block)
But it has been suggested may have a OCD issue with sharpening.
I do my bush sharpening with a Fallkie DC4
Carl

Rumcajs

Forager
Nov 13, 2009
Kielce, PL
www.jbohac.net
As a kid, when I spent better part of my summer time chopping wood for winter I only used file. There were some stones but they were used to sharpen scythes. My uncle would probably kill me if I used them on the axe.
Right now I would use both file, for rough work, and stone to finish it off.

ickyan

Forager
Jun 26, 2009
shropshire
I use a home-made stone (found a flat pebel and rubbed it on a concrete slab to smooth it off)

for ruff work I use a small diamond stone

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
Both.
It's a non-question.
Sharpening anything is the act of abrading the face to remove material until it's sharp
the file and the stone both do the same thing, only at different rates, as do all sharpening systems.
The file will be far more aggressive than the stone, and will not give as good results.

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
When I got one I got there stone when I got on of there hatchets and its great!

Its a combi stone and put a really nice edge on it. It's also great for sharpening larger blades too, it brings up my RAT-II shaving sharp. Its also really easy to clean off the build up you get on them too, just a drop of water and wipe with a finger then let it dry, good as new. It also comes in rubber so only take the cover off the hard of smooth side you want so you get some protection from cutting yourself too.

I also strop my axe's after sharpening.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
Pretty much anything abrasive will sharpen a blade.
For an axe, I'd go with wet 'n dry and a mouse mat personally, stropped on a loaded belt.
Just about as cheap a sharpening system as you'll get, and with results to match even the most expensive.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Both.
It's a non-question.

Yep. Actually all three - mill double cut for serious damage. Second cut or diamond file for dinks and stone or wet n dry for a touch up. All three may be needed, some more frequently than others

Red

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
An axe file costs more.
Any decent tool shop will sell you good quality metalworking files.
they come in different grades depending on how much metal they remove in one stroke
Generally, Dead Smooth, Smooth, 2nd cut, *******, coarse, rough.
you also get mill cut (parallel teeth), and double cut (perpendicular teeth).

And yes, you can use a normal metalworking file to sharpen an axe.

Sharpening is just the act of filing a bit of metal until it's pointy.
An awful lot is talked about sharpening, there are many misconceptions about what equipment you need.

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Whilst a file is a file, I do find a shorter file very handy. A monster 10" job is harder to control. You only need a short job. A nice wide 4" mill cut, a similar second cut and a small pack of 6" diamond pads on plastic does the job nicely. A lick on wet and dry or a strop if you are bothered at the end.

Red

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
When I sharpen the axe that I use all winter to chop and split firewood, all I ever use is a normal smooth file. This brings it up to an edge that can shave my leather work gloves into thin strips of suede.
I sharpen my outdoor axes with a stone to get them shaving sharp. I was very impressed with the DC4 though: It's all I brought over to Sweden with me, and it easily sorted out a ding in my wildlife hatchet.

Cheers, Michael.

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
When I sharpen the axe that I use all winter to chop and split firewood, all I ever use is a normal smooth file. This brings it up to an edge that can shave my leather work gloves into thin strips of suede.
I sharpen my outdoor axes with a stone to get them shaving sharp. I was very impressed with the DC4 though: It's all I brought over to Sweden with me, and it easily sorted out a ding in my wildlife hatchet.

Cheers, Michael.

I normally use my DC3 for sharpening. Thanks for confirming it will work:D

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
just a bit of a heads up,
if you want good smooth mill files do a search for chainsaw files. not the round files for sharpening the cutters but the flat files used to adjust the depth gages of the chain. they are lightweight 6 inch files, perfect for long trips and only cost £2 :)

pete

Warrigal

Nov 11, 2006
Brisbane Australia
You gotta love automatic censorship
Graham S was trying to give a list of the names of the types of teeth on files the one blanked out is the common word for a child of unmarried parents.
LOL
Showing off I have used the ( unglazed) bottom of a coffee cup to sharpen. Anything I mean anything that is abrasive or harder than the material your trying to remove. Can be used to sharpen.
Carl

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE