File or saw blade knife.

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Hi guys, I'm looking for a bit of advice about knife making.
I've already ordered some knife blades which I'm gonna make some nice handles for, I'm pretty confident I can get them bob on. However. I'm after advice on making them from scratch. Unfortunately at the moment I don't have time to look into a furnaces and go down the hammer and anvil route (I'd love to though, maybe something I'll get into) but I've seen plenty of folk using good files and saw blades as the knife blade, and grinding these into shape to finish with files.
My question is, wouldn't using a grinder on these materials soften them, so they'd need re hardening and tempering anyway. I know there are some great minds on here.
Thanks in advance.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
in a word.....YES basically. but if your very careful with the grinder on the cutting edge side go very slowly and do a very small bit at a time, and dunk the blade in cold water between grinding, it is possible to not re heat, bear in mind this is hardened steel so might ruin your files a bit, you could just use a sharpening stone to put the bevils on though....

heat treating is not so hard to do once you get the hang of it, no furnace is needed, a simple BBQ can be used with charcoal, which is best to be used anyway...

if you have enough charcoal to build up over the blade you dont even need any forced air, even a normal fire can be used...

hope this helps, any questions just ask...:)

regards.

chris.

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Thank you Chris. I will definitely be having a go before long.
I like the sound of knives in a BBQ, the only problem is my sausages always get burnt on my BBQ, I'd be worried about the steel lol.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
lol.....you will be reat mate, if you have a problem at first dont bit it, just put it back into the fire and try again, when it comes to the HT (heat treating) give me a pm and i will talk you through it...:)

get grinding...;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE