File Knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

woodwalker1987

Tenderfoot
Feb 4, 2010
essex
Hi Chaps

Relatively new here i haven't made a knife beforealthough i have re-handled a few, i fancy giving a file knife a go...any advice on type of file , method etc would be most helpful...

cheers

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Hi mate -

files make pretty damn good knives. made a few myself.

are you going to be grinding it or forging?

there is a lot of file snobbery around saying you need to find an old english or american file but i read recently a content analysis for a cheap Indian made file and it was rather close to a "good" file.

get down to your local market and buy a few old ones.

start by putting it into a fire or the forge to soak. get it red hot then shut it all down and allow to cool over night.
this softens the steel and makes it workable. - after that is done you can shape your knife how you like.

once you have done all the shaping and drilling you need - you then need to anneal it again - this removes any stresses that may have built up while you were working it. - exactly the same as the first process - nice and hot then leave to cool slowly.
then you need to harden it - get it nice and hot again - approx cherry red and non-magnetic - dip it onto a pot of oil - this quenches the blade and makes it hard again.
be sure to dip straight down - with no swishing or sideways movement as this will warp the blade.

once cool enough to handle wrap in foil and stick it into an oven (kitchen oven is fine) at about 220 degrees C for an hour then turn off the oven.

take it out after a few hours and you will have a straw yellow knife ready to be sharpened and handled.

there are better guides over on britishblades.com

andy

Last edited:

woodwalker1987

Tenderfoot
Feb 4, 2010
essex
Cheers mate that seems good to me!

I was planning to grind this one, can i jump straight in on the grinder or do i have to do the methods listed below? (i am more than happy not to rush even if i do sound keen!)

am assuming i'm looking for a file about 4mm as will lose thickness in the process of turning it into a knife?! and is there a preference over a wood or metal file?

may sound silly but bowmaking is my comfort zone and metal work is new to me!

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Cheers mate that seems good to me!

I was planning to grind this one, can i jump straight in on the grinder or do i have to do the methods listed below? (i am more than happy not to rush even if i do sound keen!)

am assuming i'm looking for a file about 4mm as will lose thickness in the process of turning it into a knife?! and is there a preference over a wood or metal file?

may sound silly but bowmaking is my comfort zone and metal work is new to me!

not at all mate - we all ask the same questions when we start out.

the type of file doesn't matter. and yes around 4mm of thickness is a good place to start but again not much of an issue.

you can jump straight in yes - but it will be a B****** to grind - soften it first and it will be easier.

all the best
andy

woodwalker1987

Tenderfoot
Feb 4, 2010
essex
Cheers Mac sounds good to me will have to give it a go! another thing to go on the list now! Finish the sycamore flatbow, tidy up the shilleglagh and then make a knife! haha its all go! roll on summer!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE