Figure 4 deadfall vs Pauite ( sp?) deafall.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
TIME%20FOR%20A%20BREW.JPG

Mar 1, 2011
Fife, Scotland
The peg deadfall for me was always something that was very fast but was very prone to failure and was a nightmare to set. It's nice if you can get it right but i found it was more hassle than a figure 4 is to make.

No knife i would use a piaute
Had a knife i'd use figure 4

AussieVic

Forager
Jan 24, 2011
Victoria, Australia
The peg deadfall for me was always something that was very fast but was very prone to failure and was a nightmare to set. It's nice if you can get it right but i found it was more hassle than a figure 4 is to make.

No knife i would use a piaute
Had a knife i'd use figure 4

Well this thread has wandered around a little but here’s my 2c worth:

I’ve only ever built traps as an exercise, but if I was ever stuck I’d like to be able to build a good one, quickly.

I like the fig 4 trap because of the “bushcraft” involved in setting one ie the carving and balancing. A great task to set for anyone.

The Pauite deadfall is quicker and easier for me to make than the fig 4, so in that sense it’s a “better” trap,

however the Promontory Peg Deadfall looks like it may be even more quick and efficient to set up; so I’m keen to give it a go for comparison.

My understanding of trapping is that its quantity of traps that really counts, better to have 10 or 15 than 2 or 3 ?

Mar 1, 2011
Fife, Scotland
Well this thread has wandered around a little but here’s my 2c worth:

I’ve only ever built traps as an exercise, but if I was ever stuck I’d like to be able to build a good one, quickly.

I like the fig 4 trap because of the “bushcraft” involved in setting one ie the carving and balancing. A great task to set for anyone.

The Pauite deadfall is quicker and easier for me to make than the fig 4, so in that sense it’s a “better” trap,

however the Promontory Peg Deadfall looks like it may be even more quick and efficient to set up; so I’m keen to give it a go for comparison.

My understanding of trapping is that its quantity of traps that really counts, better to have 10 or 15 than 2 or 3 ?

Awesome mate. For anthing the more traps the better, 500 traps is not over kill.

I am not a fan of either. The Figure 4 trap take three hands to set up and it is unstable once set. The Paiute trap takes cordage which is easy enough to make in the woods but your cordage will have quite a lot of your scent on it since you had to reverse wrap it.
The bent stick trap is a modified Figure 4 that I learned from an old trapper from Alaska. It uses three stick just like the Figre 4 but you can hold it intact with just one hand which leaves your other hand free to manage the deadfall.

video

AussieVic

Forager
Jan 24, 2011
Victoria, Australia
I am not a fan of either. The Figure 4 trap take three hands to set up and it is unstable once set. The Paiute trap takes cordage which is easy enough to make in the woods but your cordage will have quite a lot of your scent on it since you had to reverse wrap it.
The bent stick trap is a modified Figure 4 that I learned from an old trapper from Alaska. It uses three stick just like the Figre 4 but you can hold it intact with just one hand which leaves your other hand free to manage the deadfall.

video

Can you point me in the direction of a diagram ? I tried to do some searches and I can't find a clear image or instruction - there are a few traps which are described as "bent stick traps" !
Thanks

Mar 1, 2011
Fife, Scotland
The figure four can be set with one hand. Think about it the downward pressure of the deadfall locks it in place, just use one hand to hold the 45 degree piece locked while you replace it with the deadfall.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE