Figure 4 deadfall vs Pauite ( sp?) deafall.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 1, 2011
Fife, Scotland
What are peoples experiences of the two? Pro's and cons etc.

From playing around with the two today that i think i have finally mastered :D

Assuming we only had our knife.

Figure 4 Pros;

Does not require cordage
Easier to blance a weight on than the Pauite.

Cons

Harder to make
Is more likely to trip from one side than the other
Needs slightly more pressure to trip than Pauite.

Pauite deadfall

Pros; Does not take much to set it off
Requires less carving ability

Cons

Higher possibilty of failure due to the cord being hung up
Require cordage
Harder to balance
Harder to get trigger stick to hold.

These are my findings but obviously both have been used throughout history and from my readings a lot of cultures preferred the Pauite.

Any advice or info appreciated.

Thanks

Mar 1, 2011
Fife, Scotland
Anyone?

If anyone knows an approximate wieght to put on this that will kill the target.

I have read from a few sources that say to use 5 times the wieght of the animal to kill.

Anyone with empirical knowledge of this would be of high value to me.

Mar 1, 2011
Fife, Scotland
Okay no problem mate.

I was asking under the assumption that somoene who is experienced in trapping may possibly know the approximate wieght of the species they catch.

It doesn't seem like a silly question but i don't think it is.

I used to work as a fishmonger and provided it was a species of fish i had worked with previously i was able to pretty accuretly gauge it's approximate wieght just by looking at it, i'm just assuming the same is true for trappers.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
forget both of them, this trap is way much faster to make and works way much better. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31_g_EQNXuM

if link doesnt work look up Promontory Peg Deadfall Trap. You can make it as big to hold trees to kill deer and bear or as small to kill mice.

youtube videos don't work overly well on my computer but from what i could see that's exactly the same as a figure 4 deadfall, have i missed something?

stuart

armie

Life Member
Jul 10, 2009
The Netherlands
youtube videos don't work overly well on my computer but from what i could see that's exactly the same as a figure 4 deadfall, have i missed something?

stuart

He starts with showing a figure 4 deadfall, but then proceeds to explain the Promontory peg version at 00:49.

leahcim

Tenderfoot
Aug 2, 2011
USA
the rock log weight is the same, but the Peg Dead fall is very simple to make. I can literally make 25 traps in less than 5 minutes. They have only 2 working parts and the parts can be made from one green stick, which makes two traps at the same time when split. The trigger is more senstive and so works a lot faster. the trap is way much better, and once you learn it, you will ditch the figure 4 all together. Try and look it up, if not you can skype me some day and I will make one in front of you, so you can see how easily it really is. I a days time, I can set 50 traps along a creek bed, and other likely spots. Try that with a figure 4 and you might get 4 or 5 traps set in a day, before you wear out.

leahcim

Tenderfoot
Aug 2, 2011
USA
you needed to see the rest of video, he was trying to explain figure 4 first to compare it with the peg deadfall trap. it is no way the same. Once you learn this trap, you can make them to hold trees to bring down grizszly bears, but you will need help lifting logs up big enough to kill a bear. same trap and be set on deer trails with a line or a stick deer brush aside, which triggers the log peg making a back breaking deer trap. but start with birds, and squirrels first. you can add trap in front of burrows as well, so when animals come out of hole they have to push tick out of the way to exit, thus crushing their heads.

leahcim

Tenderfoot
Aug 2, 2011
USA
not sure what you are asking southery, but the bottom sharp peg is the bait stick, just stick bait on the sharp point. and add little bait outside the trap to attract the animals through sight, or you will be waiting longer. raccoons and opssums come with smell, so any fish guts, calms, oysters, mussels, and gut waste works wonders. I like to dig hole in a bank of a creek to set the trap so coons will have to enter the hole with no chance to escape, like a bucket raccon trap.

leahcim

Tenderfoot
Aug 2, 2011
USA
there is another eaier trap deadfall that is only one stick, but the animal must tug on the bait to set it off. merely it is the same set up, but you place a sharp end of a stick on the ground like a rick base as not to sink into soil, but the sharp end part is pinning the bait to the ground. so as a coyote, raccoon, etc tugs on the bait, it pulls the stick down then rock or log sashes the head. this trap in better in a trench, so animal must enter the trench. if stake is around the 3/4 point of the rock or log then they have to go under log or rock with no chance of escape as the trench acts like a wall to hold them in place and the only way out is backwards, which is why the bait needs to be 3/4 in. you can stick bait stick out longer if you use a stick with a tiny branch. the tiny branch sticking inward is the bait stick that you lash on thebait so animal must pull on stick to release the bait. that is the one stick peg deadfall trap.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
not sure what you are asking southery, but the bottom sharp peg is the bait stick, just stick bait on the sharp point. and add little bait outside the trap to attract the animals through sight, or you will be waiting longer. raccoons and opssums come with smell, so any fish guts, calms, oysters, mussels, and gut waste works wonders. I like to dig hole in a bank of a creek to set the trap so coons will have to enter the hole with no chance to escape, like a bucket raccon trap.

I'd be eating the clams, oysters and mussels rather than use them as bait! :)

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
one of the main advantages of the paiute deadfall trigger, is that it's fairly resource light.
You don't need a knife to carve notches as with the fig4 type, a fulcrum point can be quickly made by rubbing the top stick on a rock.
If travelling, the cordage triggers are all you need to carry, the other components can be easily scavenged in the area you stop to trap, unlike the fig4, which takes a lot more room and preparation.

leahcim

Tenderfoot
Aug 2, 2011
USA
hope yall enjoy the peg deadfall. It has become a time saver for me for sure, and every minute counts in my life. I seriously count on wild gae and wild edible to eat mainly. I got no time for games, in my world it is very serious, I trap, I catch and I eat or I literally die trying.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Try digging a snare into a river bank here and the bailiff's will have you, or the fishermen will :)
Traps must be species specific enough *not* to trap other wildlife, i.e. otters, watervole, etc.,

cheers,
Toddy

leahcim

Tenderfoot
Aug 2, 2011
USA
most trapping in America is illegal unless you use conibear traps and footholds, and spend tons of money to do it their way. sometimes you just got to do what you got to do. It is illegal to fish with electrical poles and handgranades but some reason that doesnt stop our local police and natural resources guys from doing it themselves. - screw te kings fish and deer, I am robin hood and need to eat.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE