Field Test for Homemade Canvas/Leather Pack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Got a chance to take my new pack (Here) out into the woods yesterday for a typical bushy day out - i.e. a bit of a walk, a brew, a bit of tree spotting, foraging, tracking and whatever, another brew, taking some photos, a brew... you get the idea. I thought I'd write a review/test since I know lots of folks are contemplating making their own.

To start, a couple of pics of the pack in its natural environment:

pack1.jpg

As you can see, it was a cracking day in the Forest of Dean, with low sunlight and someone had kindly run in front of me sprinkling icing sugar everywhere.

pack2n.jpg

I wanted to look at, in particular, capacity, comfort and practicality and compare this to my usual pack for such a jaunt - a Karrimor Sabre 30. Such a comparison seemed fair as the capacity of my pack is around 30 litre (without the pockets).

Capacity:
I have redone the calculations and still I get 30 litres as the size of my pack but it fits in MUCH more stuff than the Sabre 30 - so much so that I was chucking extra stuff in and still it was not full to capacity. This implies for me that the Sabre's 30 litres is a generous description. I managed to carry:
DSLR in its bag, tripod, cookset, bushbuddy tinder and firesteel, Lunch and snacks, down gilet, basha/poncho, mora, laplander, 2xcups (in case I meet someone...) FAK, waterproof trousers and jacket, 12m paracord, journal, 1L water bottle groundsheet, sitmat, preMac water filter, Binoculars, map, GPS, compass; and still had room for more:

pack3.jpg

pack4.jpg

Only downside is you tend to want to fill the space available and end up carrying too much stuff. On the other hand, I reckon that, with the pockets added and more judicious selection of kit, this pack could well do for a summer overnighter.

Comfort
Most of the time I forgot I was "testing" the pack and just enjoyed the walk - this indicates that it must have been comfortable. It sat very firmly on my back with no movement - a good thing since retro-fitting a hipbelt would be difficult (I'm not a big fan of hipbelts on smaller packs as, if your are fairly tall, they become bellybelts and are not so useful). Even crashing through the undergrowth, it felt stable. The only exception to the general level of comfort was the shoulder straps. I had been worried that unpadded straps would hurt my shoulders but this was no problem whatsoever. The issue was where these straps passed under my armpits. No problem during "normal" walking but whenever I brought my arms together (e.g. to read the map, take a photo) they dug into my pits painfully. I think I have made the wide part of the strap overlong but, before I cut them and try again, I am going to wait until the leather softens a little as it ages as this may be a less radical solution.

Practicality
Having a single large compartment is a disadvantage compared with the Sabre. The Sabre has a lid compartment which is really useful for the stuff you want to lay your hands on quickly. Otherwise it does all you expect it to.

As yet, I don't know how it will stand up to the test of time and there are things I would like to improve: the shoulder straps, maybe the lid is a tad too large, use 3/4 inch buckles and straps instead of 5/8 inch. But , generally, I am delighted with the outcome. I am going to make a smaller one for EDC since it does rather swallow my sarnies when I take it to work...:)

Finally:
The X factor
I am biased. But this sort of traditional homemade kit has it in spades! If you are considering having a go at one - what are you waiting for?

Last edited:

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
I said it before(in your original post) but i will say it again that's a fantastic looking pack,
it looks every bit as good a pro built one,and for a 30l pack you can get alot it in.
, very nice.

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
thats a great bit of kit you have made there mate. Very impressed.

Looks very comfortable and when you see the amount of kit that goes in it shows it of perfect.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Looks good. As to the single compartment problem; I have a leather day pack with the same problem, and after 25 years I can't bring myself to retrofit an outside pocket (I use small stuff sacks to organize tings).

For everyday use mine contains a lapdog^Wlaptop.; I have made a protective case for it out of a spare foam pad and some canvas; gives plenty of protection and has an open top for slipping the machine in and out.

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Hi Kerne, That pack of yours is TOPS goodjob mate.
As to (the lid is a tad too large) i have played with that , and i think i've overcome that on mine .

Cheers Topknot

fergus77

Tenderfoot
Mar 5, 2006
Portreath, Cornwall
lovely pack there dude, very nicely made and wouldn't look out of place beside a Duluth or Frost River.

I find the same sort of problem with my Frost, after switching from a Sabre 45. One big compartment seems to swallow every little bit of kit up, and you can never get to something quickly. But then again, tradional canvas packs are just lush to use and look at.

Any plans to make any more??

PRKL

Nomad
Jan 27, 2010
Finland
I think its so awful that only i could use it,please send it to me and youll never have to be embaressed for carrying sack like that again.:goodnight:

No,actually its superb and i can only wish i could do or have one like yours.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE