Few woodwork bits (carved)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Braidsta

Forager
Jul 29, 2013
Essex
500px.com
Hi all,

Been away for a bit but still keeping up with my hobbies, I thought I'd link here to the pics of some carving I done lately as I sit here in my office wishing I wasn't!

English Walnut spoon, carved for a first date (did the trick ;) I now have a quota to meet!)
photo

http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=17963636

Olivewood elephant for my dad's birthday - he's got a few Cagiva Elefant, Dakar Ralley type bikes
photo

http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=17963644

The collection will grow, currently working on a Walnut lovespoon for a mate and a Tulipwood bowl / ashtray for another.
http://photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=1078034

I'm having loads of fun with carving, still very primitive but proud of my efforts!

Hope they're enjoyed, have a lovely day all

Last edited:

Braidsta

Forager
Jul 29, 2013
Essex
500px.com
Thanks guys, really appreciate it! I'm finding so much joy in this stuff I wish I'd started in time for my grandad to see, but all my life I never saw what was in wood like he did. I don't know why but soon as he was gone I started understanding it. Ah well!
Plenty more to come, thanks again :)

Braidsta

Forager
Jul 29, 2013
Essex
500px.com
Nice body of work, just need more!
When you "see" things in the wood, does it make the carving easier?

Haha tis true! I'll be sure to link future projects!

It does mate, lots easier. The elephant took a while and the whole way I could see it, exactly what it was meant to be. It was only towards the end anyone else could, I was pointing out the ears, the legs, the trunk - hardly anyone could see it. I found it strange as I've not much experience with this and think I'm too inexperienced to have a magic eye just yet!

I've tried going to patterns drawn on the wood and just don't get anywhere, they soon deviate - I think this may be down to me not understanding how the wood will "let me cut it" if you get me.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Good, you're quite alright. Best to take advantage of what you see. Experience has very little to do with it.
I was quite rattled the first time that my grandmother's prediction came true. Now, I enjoy the revelations.
It means that there are 6-8 carvings in various stages of completion in my shop, I start them as I see them.
I can't pound a pattern into a piece of wood, either.

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
Thanks guys, really appreciate it! I'm finding so much joy in this stuff I wish I'd started in time for my grandad to see, but all my life I never saw what was in wood like he did. I don't know why but soon as he was gone I started understanding it. Ah well!
Plenty more to come, thanks again :)

That's a nice story, I like it when there is meaning behind peoples work. (never used to be very sentimental till I had my little boy???)

I like the walnut spoon especially.

Braidsta

Forager
Jul 29, 2013
Essex
500px.com
Good, you're quite alright. Best to take advantage of what you see. Experience has very little to do with it.
I was quite rattled the first time that my grandmother's prediction came true. Now, I enjoy the revelations.
It means that there are 6-8 carvings in various stages of completion in my shop, I start them as I see them.
I can't pound a pattern into a piece of wood, either.

Haha, I daren't let myself have so many hanging around - one or two for me as I know the unfinished stage will eat at me after a time!

Thanks for the lovely comments guys, proper pleased they're enjoyed :)

Braidsta

Forager
Jul 29, 2013
Essex
500px.com
Rar such lovely comments! I admire the work from you guys and others on here so much, the leatherwork from Hamish, your woodspirits, Woodspirits! It means a lot!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE