A few Small Spoons (Bog Oak, Spalded Larch & Beech)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Androo

Nomad
Dec 8, 2010
NW UK
I was generously gifted a few pieces of wood from a couple of members here.

plastic-ninja gifted me some lovely small blocks of Bog Oak which came from the batch he made these from. And the spalded Larch was kindly sent to me by Harvestman - with which he had produced a couple of lovely spoons for his stall.

First up, my very first Bog Oak spoon, carved with a Mora 120 and a couple of tiny gouges. As I free carved the spoon I ended up with a square block on the end of the handle and suggestions ranged from chess pieces to mini wood spirits, I ended up going for a ring-and-sphere (what's the correct term for this?) terminal. I had trouble carving out the bowl, so I left it as best my cheap mini-gouges could manage. This has left me with a bowl that I'm not very happy with at all. The terminal hasn't lined up squarely, but if ya look at it from the right angle... ;O)

dsc06308n.jpg

dsc06309e.jpg

The handle is a bit more balanced than it looks in pic 1, and I know there are some chatterings and rough sanding. I don't want to keep working this piece as it shows me my flaws and is a reminder to me of where I need to focus. Generally, I'm 80% happy with this one.

The next Bog Oak spoon is a Work-in-progress, and it's roughed out, waiting for more inspiration to carve some detail into the fish-tail handle terminal and smooth out the bowl inner and outer.

dsc06349g.jpg

dsc06352n.jpg

dsc06355z.jpg

I need to work a lot more on balance and symmetry, but that aside, this Bog Oak is a pleasure to carve - even if it is rock hard and loves to dull my blade!
Thanks for the Oak plastic-ninja, not a patch on your work though!

Next up we have the Spalded Larch. Harvestman made a couple of simply styled spoons that I began simulating, but upon carving the wood, I noticed how brittle and dry it was, and inadvertently snapped a piece off here and there :( so ended up having to revise designs and came up with much smaller spoons that I wanted! The spalding is gorgeous as hoped, but I feel I didn't do the wood justice. Lessons learnt.
dsc06324nl.jpg

Superior spaldage!:
dsc06365w.jpg

I seem to be making my spoons with a 'sharp' handle ridge bottom or top...
dsc06366lk.jpg

So thanks for the Larch Harvestman, very kind of you.

When out hammocking with my son the other weekend, I found a lovely large piece of Beech which I began to hack a spoon out of, only for it to end up on the fire... I took a few small pieces home and have fashioned one of these:

dsc06345uo.jpg

dsc06336y.jpg

dsc06347u.jpg

It developed a crack at the front of the bowl, so I decided to shave that off and have ended up with some kind of mini-scoop. It was sanded down with 80, 40 and 0 grit sandpaper and is lovely and smooth, it's currently soaking up some linseed oil to attempt to ward off the second crack appearing towards the front of the bowl (The dark circular line in the above photo) :(

And a last family shot:

dsc06333l.jpg

I'm having real trouble getting the bowls smooth and rounded with just mini-gouges. Anyone fancy swapping a 6 pointed Red Deer antler for a decent (Orford) spoonie? *whistles innocently*

Last edited:

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Hey Androo that is some pretty impressive spoonage. I like the bog oak a lot, but that beech spoon is lovely. Shame about the crack. I might have to try some beech.

I told you that larch of mine was rubbish wood :rolleyes:. Looks nice, but pretty ropey. You've done a lovely job with those bits I gave you.

Androo

Nomad
Dec 8, 2010
NW UK
Hey Androo that is some pretty impressive spoonage. I like the bog oak a lot, but that beech spoon is lovely. Shame about the crack. I might have to try some beech.

I told you that larch of mine was rubbish wood :rolleyes:. Looks nice, but pretty ropey. You've done a lovely job with those bits I gave you.

:blush: too kind....
I've never carved Beech before, but it takes such a lovely edge - I think us in the west of the UK get Beech that is faster grown (due to moisture) than the east. Beech from the east may be even more pleasureable to carve with an assumed tighter grain.
And I think that with supersharp blades (and a good oiling), that Larch stacks up OK. Still, it's a lovely spalding, I hope I find some, and will be in touch if I do!
Thanks for the positive comments :)

Androo

Nomad
Dec 8, 2010
NW UK
Those are really very good. Love the spalted ones the most, but then I love anything spalted like that. And that bog oak looks amazing!

Well done. I have yet to even start on carving my second spoon. The first one looks like a roughly shaped piece of wood, not a spoon.

Cheers :) But I expect better of myself.
Yea, spalded wood is amazing looking stuff if it's caught before the rot gets too much of a hold, looks as though the Larch was juuuuust on the wrong wide of the perfect spald-to-integrity balance. I have some semi-spalded Silver Birch I'm drying ready for a crazy woodspirit (shhh!)

Hah, and you should see my first spoon, it's PANTS. But hey, learning curves are curved for a reason ;O)

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Nice to see that you made good use of that Bogoak mate.
Very nice spoonage I should say.I think the fishtail on the Oak spoon looks rather good.
If you turn it the other way up it should look a bit like a whale!
Cheers , Simon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE