Few flowered leak

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have been weeding those blasted things out of the garden for the past three weeks.
There are only so many you can eat.
They set wee bulbs at their roots, and from the flowers, and they happily and cheerfully spread them everywhere.

They're quite tasty though if you slice them up and stir fry them quickly in a little butter.
Good with beaten eggs poured over and allowed to set like an omelette or frittata.

Just really, really invasive.
Even growing them in a pot didn't work, one flower head of wee bulbils bumped over the edge and scattered. They come up like tiny little chives the first year, next year they bloom and you've got thousands.

I thought I'd be clever, and guerilla garden them elsewhere. That worked and now there's a huge patch alongside the burn, thankfully they kind of die back a bit because it's the same patch where the wild strawberries ....another kind of take over everything....happily ramble too :) The bluebells come up in the same place in my garden and they kind of overwhelm the leeks in a few weeks from now. The bluebells aren't in bloom just now. It does mean though that I need to be careful with just exactly what I'm picking.

Reactions: demographic

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
Nice. My garden started life as a patch of wasteland and is now a combination of planted stuff and selected naturally occuring wildflowers. I let the edible things grow; dandelions, red dead nettles, jack by the hedge, wood avens, bittercresses etc. Even a sly patch of lesser celendine (disclaimer: toxic if not properly prepared. I don't eat this) and the odd thistle. I just let them grow and like having them there.
I've never had luck transplanting seeds though. I tried honesty and pendulous sedge with no luck. Wouldn't mind trying to plant a burdock. The only really prolific things in my garden are aphids, pigeons and daisies in my lawn.

Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:)
Your garden sounds interesting :)
I do much the same with useful things.

Pendulous rush is another pest that overwhelms if given a chance. Same with the wood millet. I was pulling out nettles this morning. Fine having some but, they do rather spread.
So does the meadowsweet.
They're all good things though, all usefuls :D

If you really want the leeks, try a few of those wee yellow bulbs in a pot with gravel on the top. Like the pignuts they'll happily grow among the stones and come up again next year.
The pignuts escaped their pot though and now they're growing next to the flagstones set in the gravel in the back garden.
Could be worse things to have :)

M

Reactions: Suffolkrafter

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
We grow a huge number of "wild" alliums, few-flowered leek, wild garlic, Bebington's leek and three cornered leek to name a few. They offer very welcome early fresh onions & garlic when the stored winter alliums are past their best. You can see a few here

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
We grow a huge number of "wild" alliums, few-flowered leek, wild garlic, Bebington's leek and three cornered leek to name a few. They offer very welcome early fresh onions & garlic when the stored winter alliums are past their best. You can see a few here

That's a lot of Alliums. What a great YouTube channel! I've subbed. Loads of material on there to work my way through :)

Disabled Preppers

Apr 3, 2023
west midlands
I found treasure! A patch of few flowered leak Allium paradoxum not far away. Would have preferred wild garlic, but I'll settle for this. Not much Allium around me.

Hi Suffol just jumping on this thread as right now i have the dehydrator running doing wild garlic leaf that i wthen put in the coffee grinder to make much like parsley , we have huge amounts of wild garlic as we planted some by the house in a damp spot it took over the whole bed but we also sweep the seed up year year and throw in the backs of flower beds and under the silver birch trees and any spot we can lol i love the wild garlic , not to the point of jumping on come the end of the flowering after the seed set and they start popping i can sweep up a large amount of seed it you want it to throw in your garden , ours is now coming up everywhere as i say rockery in there even ground throuch cracks in the concrete lol

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE