Fenix L1D or Nitecore D10

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Okay. I lost my torch on the Moor this weekend (don't ask!)

Need to order one tonight.

Choice is down to:

Fenix L1D Q5 Premuim
Nitecore D10 Q5 Standard

I can't see much difference to be honest. Very similar spec. Fenix is £5 cheaper and has a Premium Q5.

Thoughts anyone?

LBL

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Hi,

So (now you have me thinking), why do you prefer the NDI over the D10?

Well it's largely down to personal taste - I think they are both superb bits of kit and it's the D10 that is in my pocket right now. When I say I prefer the NDI, it's for quite subtle differences. I'll try and explain...

I like the piston switching system on the D10, it feels robust and well machined, but for me it has some shortcomings over a regular clickie switch.

With a regular clickie, you can have momentary or lock on/off just by varying your thumb pressure. A light press for momentary, a firm press for click on. It's simple, intuitive and I like it. With the PD system, you get lock on - if you want momentary, you have to turn the light on, rotate the bezel (2 hands required) till it goes off, then you have momentary. But now you have lost lock on, unless you turn the bezel back - in which case you loose momentary again. I much prefer being able to choose between momentary and click on just by varying my thumb pressure, especially if I only have one hand free to hold the torch. NDI wins for me.

Variable output: Both the NDI and D10 have variable output and remember the last used setting. However the NDI allows you to select between full bright and memory by a slight turn of the bezel. This means you can select which one you want before you turn the torch on. With the D10, if you last used minimum, that what you get when you turn the torch on. If you last used max, then that's what you get when you turn the torch on. You can only vary the brightness with the torch turned on. This can bugger your night vision if your last remembered setting was maximum and all you want is minimum, as you have to fire up the torch and then dim it down. NDI wins again for me.

The machining and construction on both torches is superb. I very much like the ability to stand the D10 on it's tail and this really should be a feature of the NDI also. Here's hoping they release an alternate tailcap which does this in the future. I also like the anti-roll flats machined into the NDI - but I'm not a big fan of the crenelated bezel.

The D10 has no strobe mode. So what I hear you say - well (dubious) tactical applications aside, this can be a useful signaling feature, especially if used with one of these...

redLantern.jpg
fenix-diffuser.jpg

I have the red and white Fenix diffuser and while the fit on the Nitecores isn't perfect, they are usable. They are a great idea. The white diffuser turns the D10/NDI into something approximating a small fluorescent area light - very cool. Use the red diffuser as a nightvision preserving "submarine" light. Stick the NDI onto strobe and use the red diffuser and you have a very useful, rapidly flashing red signal wand. Nitecore should think about making diffusers like this specifically to fit the D10/NDI IMO - they are great.

NDI on strobe with red fenix diffuser...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RWI5cXvDYM

Something interesting I just noted, I ran a battery (energizer lithium) flat in the D10 to test runtime and after it was flat, I stuck it in a Zebralight H50 to see if there was any juice left in it. Nada. Then I put it in the NDI and to my surprise, I got another 10 minutes of useful light. Dunno what's going on there, but the NDI wins again.

I like em both, but for me, the NDI is the slightly more versatile and useful tool. The D10 is fine as a general duty utility torch, but for camping and such, the NDI's simpler, more versatile, more intuitive interface is better. But both are superb, either would be fine and both are better than anything I've seen from anyone else.

I have to stress that these are very small points, in practice there is not that much to choose between em, they are very similar torches.

Here are a couple of superb youtube reviews...

Nitcore D10:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irqhuV8Xo_A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruYgBHzxSVI&feature=related

Nitecore Defender Infinity:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daFqQjRYgMs

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Hi,
I have the Fenix L1D. well what can i say i switch it on and it comes on till i switch it off, sweet!
its the Q5 premium what ever that means but it is bright i think it is an improvement on a maglite but i suppose its horses for courses, i dont think that you would go wrong with either!

Lou

Big Bad Stu

Nomad
Jul 18, 2006
Shropshire
I have just bought a Fenix L1D for the wife's birthday. It is excellent. Nice and light and great value. It ticks the boxes for me!

Stewey.:D

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Thanks Martyn - went and ordered an NDI today. Useful comments. Thanks.

LBL

Well it's largely down to personal taste - I think they are both superb bits of kit and it's the D10 that is in my pocket right now. When I say I prefer the NDI, it's for quite subtle differences. I'll try and explain...

I like the piston switching system on the D10, it feels robust and well machined, but for me it has some shortcomings over a regular clickie switch.

With a regular clickie, you can have momentary or lock on/off just by varying your thumb pressure. A light press for momentary, a firm press for click on. It's simple, intuitive and I like it. With the PD system, you get lock on - if you want momentary, you have to turn the light on, rotate the bezel (2 hands required) till it goes off, then you have momentary. But now you have lost lock on, unless you turn the bezel back - in which case you loose momentary again. I much prefer being able to choose between momentary and click on just by varying my thumb pressure, especially if I only have one hand free to hold the torch. NDI wins for me.

Variable output: Both the NDI and D10 have variable output and remember the last used setting. However the NDI allows you to select between full bright and memory by a slight turn of the bezel. This means you can select which one you want before you turn the torch on. With the D10, if you last used minimum, that what you get when you turn the torch on. If you last used max, then that's what you get when you turn the torch on. You can only vary the brightness with the torch turned on. This can bugger your night vision if your last remembered setting was maximum and all you want is minimum, as you have to fire up the torch and then dim it down. NDI wins again for me.

The machining and construction on both torches is superb. I very much like the ability to stand the D10 on it's tail and this really should be a feature of the NDI also. Here's hoping they release an alternate tailcap which does this in the future. I also like the anti-roll flats machined into the NDI - but I'm not a big fan of the crenelated bezel.

The D10 has no strobe mode. So what I hear you say - well (dubious) tactical applications aside, this can be a useful signaling feature, especially if used with one of these...

redLantern.jpg
fenix-diffuser.jpg

I have the red and white Fenix diffuser and while the fit on the Nitecores isn't perfect, they are usable. They are a great idea. The white diffuser turns the D10/NDI into something approximating a small fluorescent area light - very cool. Use the red diffuser as a nightvision preserving "submarine" light. Stick the NDI onto strobe and use the red diffuser and you have a very useful, rapidly flashing red signal wand. Nitecore should think about making diffusers like this specifically to fit the D10/NDI IMO - they are great.

NDI on strobe with red fenix diffuser...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RWI5cXvDYM

Something interesting I just noted, I ran a battery (energizer lithium) flat in the D10 to test runtime and after it was flat, I stuck it in a Zebralight H50 to see if there was any juice left in it. Nada. Then I put it in the NDI and to my surprise, I got another 10 minutes of useful light. Dunno what's going on there, but the NDI wins again.

I like em both, but for me, the NDI is the slightly more versatile and useful tool. The D10 is fine as a general duty utility torch, but for camping and such, the NDI's simpler, more versatile, more intuitive interface is better. But both are superb, either would be fine and both are better than anything I've seen from anyone else.

I have to stress that these are very small points, in practice there is not that much to choose between em, they are very similar torches.

Here are a couple of superb youtube reviews...

Nitcore D10:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irqhuV8Xo_A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruYgBHzxSVI&feature=related

Nitecore Defender Infinity:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daFqQjRYgMs

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Great. Arrived this morning. Good service. I opted for the Osram Golden Dragon Plus LED rather than the Cree WC Q5.

Very bright.
Slight high-pitched wine in operation
Took an hour for me to figure out the variable lighting (but I am quite dim)!

Lovely piece of kit though. Thumbs up

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
Great. Arrived this morning. Good service. I opted for the Osram Golden Dragon Plus LED rather than the Cree WC Q5.

Very bright.
Slight high-pitched wine in operation
Took an hour for me to figure out the variable lighting (but I am quite dim)!

Lovely piece of kit though. Thumbs up

As new to all this whats the difference between the two LBG cheers.

Bernie

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
From their site:

NiteCore releases OSRAM's Golden Dragon Plus LED light. We use this new light source for all NiteCore models now.
Heat sink design

What are the advantages of OSRAM GDP?
1. Its very beautiful and soft beam pattern.
2. Lower VF vlaue, nominal 3.3V versus the CREE's 3.8V, which improves the efficiency of the circuit in some sort.
3. Higher Color Rendering Index (CRI), 80 versus CREE's 75, which means a more accurate representation of colors.

Piccies on Nitecore's .com home page: www.nitecore.com

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
From their site:

NiteCore releases OSRAM's Golden Dragon Plus LED light. We use this new light source for all NiteCore models now.
Heat sink design

What are the advantages of OSRAM GDP?
1. Its very beautiful and soft beam pattern.
2. Lower VF vlaue, nominal 3.3V versus the CREE's 3.8V, which improves the efficiency of the circuit in some sort.
3. Higher Color Rendering Index (CRI), 80 versus CREE's 75, which means a more accurate representation of colors.

Piccies on Nitecore's .com home page: www.nitecore.com

I'll take your word for it LBG gets abit to technical for me thanks.

Bernie

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
I would like to add that I have purchased (in the last week) a Nitecore HDI and a D-10 (both with Osram Golden Dragon Plus LEDs) from www.nitecore.co.uk (same co. as flashaholics) and have been impressed by the level of service and also the torches. Whilst I found the NDI too complicated for me to operate (but I am a little bit thick) it is a top quality piece of kit and as bright as the sun. For the Pros I think there would be little better. However, for the laymen (me) I find the D-10 a super bit of kit. Easier for my thick fingers and brain to operate. I would highly recommend both the service and the products.

LBL

Aug 17, 2008
Hampshire
I've just received a Nitecore NDI (great service from Nitecore.co.uk, but the usual hopeless effort by the BFPO, who sent it via Naples!). It's superb - and I do have a use for the tactical strobe. However, I think I'll order a D10 next - well, you can never have too many torches, can you?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE