Fenix LD15 Review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
I have been on the lookout for a “key-ring” size flashlight for a while; I had to be Fenix as I have had the L1D and a L2D for the past two years and quite simply love the build quality and as far as the reliability goes, they have never had a problem.

Following a couple of emails to Fenix the LD15 arrived.

The first thing that grabs you is the sheer size of the LD15, just 30.5mm longer and 2.5mm wider than the AA battery that powers it, I would go as far as saying that I doubt if Fenix could have made it any smaller if they tried!

It is a two piece flashlight comprising of the battery tube and the light head, both are lightly, but perfectly knurled and allow a good grip. The switch action is tight enough not to allow accidental operation, but light enough to allow one handed use. It has two modes and is operated by tightening the light head, which selects the most powerful light mode first of 117 lumens, switch off and then back on again within 1.5 seconds and you have the lower output mode of 8 lumens. These modes give a claimed 1.5 hrs and 39 hrs of light respectively using a 2500mah Ni-mh cell. I did conduct my own test using a same capacity cell and achieved very similar results; the difference is probably down to the manufacturer of the cells.

IMG_0394.jpg

In this pic you can see the reverse polarity protection from the rubber washer attached to the light head, the head is of solid brass which provides extremely good heat dissipation.

The bottom of the battery tube is the three connectors and a spring-loaded rubber covered plate. When the light head is tightened, the plate is depressed and connection is made with the three brass tags. This spring loaded rubber covered design eliminates battery rattle very effectively.

S8004967.jpg

The light coverage is more than adequate for its intended use. It throws a wide and complete blamket of light in both modes. Both pics taken at 5 meters. 117 and 8 lumens respectivly.

IMG_0413.jpg

IMG_0417.jpg

Conclusion

All in all this a great little flash light perfectly bright enough for EDC.
Excellent build quality which oozes reliability, with very robust anodising which is typical of Fenix. At the time of taking the photo’s this has been kicking around on my car keys and not a mark on the light.
If you are thinking of buying a flash light of this size I would suggest that you take in to consideration the greater power output and extended run time of the AA powered light especially when it is only fractionally larger than a AAA powered version.

Manufacturers Spec

• Cree XP-G LED (R4) with lifespan of 50,000 hours
• Two modes of output:High (117 lumens, 1.5hrs) ->
Low (8 lumens, 39hrs)
(Tested with Ni-mh battery with actual capacity 2500mAh)
• Stable current regulated circuit, stable brightness
• Uses one 1.5V AA battery (ni-mh, alkaline)
• 80mm (Length) X 16.6mm (Diameter)
• 21-gram weight (excluding batteries)
• Made of durable aircraft-grade aluminum
• Premium Type III hard-anodized anti-abrasive finish
• Waterproof to IPX-8 Standard
• Toughened double ultra-clear glass lens
• Reliable twist switch
• Candle mode (Capable of standing up securely on a flat
surface to serve as a candle)
• Accessories: key ring, lanyard

For further info: www.thephotonshop.co.uk or www.fenixlight.com

No connection, just a happy customer. :)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE