Favourite Mountain

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Yesterday we went up to the highest point in south east England, which is Leith hill. Someone once built a tower on it to take it up to 1000 feet. Anyway it got me thinking of mountains. I don't get to them anywhere near as much as I would like to, but I love to scramble up mountains. This one is my favourite
allsorts714large3mu.jpg

It is Buachaille Etive Mor and guards the entrance to Glen Coe.
The reason it is my favourite is that it was my first Munro. We went up the easy route, Coire na Tulaich, but I will always remember the views over Rannock Moor from the top. I have since climbed it again, going up via Curved ridge and that was pretty scary to say the least, big on exposure. I have been up loads of the mountains around the Fort William area, but the Bookle still remains my favourite.
What is your favourite mountain and why................Jon
Appologies to our Netherland friends for this thread

Angus Og

Nov 6, 2004
Glasgow
I will be passing the mountain tomorrow on my way to stay in Kinlochleven for the New Year.

Here’s a picture I took in June this year from the kingshouse.

polesremovedcopy17iw.jpg

I still get excited when I see it at any time of year.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Iain..........Yes its is a good feeling you get when you first see it driving up the A82. Have a good time up at Kinlochleven, I envy you.
Toddy........That is a great link............Jon

Angus Og

Nov 6, 2004
Glasgow
Jon Pickett said:
Iain..........Yes its is a good feeling you get when you first see it driving up the A82. Have a good time up at Kinlochleven, I envy you.

I will do, been going up there for New Year since 1991. Got to get out and about more this time.

Here’s another view of the Buachaille Etive Mor whole length. Taken from the Blackwater Reservoir taken in end of April 04

img015614wj.jpg

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
Toddy said:
Ben A'an, :) doesn't kill me getting up it :rolleyes: and stunning views all round from it too. Used to climb it carrying the boys in baby rucsacs, no improved footpaths in those days,.....good memories :) It's mobbed now, though.
http://www.incallander.co.uk/panoramas/benaanpan.htm

Cheers,
Toddy

Great little mountain in miniature Toddy - been up it a hundred times or more (I used to live near there).

My favourite UK hill is still Ben Lui in winter. Got to be the best grade one climb in the UK straight up central gully all the way to the top.

Pic of central gully here http://www.allanbrown.fsnet.co.uk/lui.htm

george

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
An easy one! - Tryfan in North Wales. I've lost count of the times I have been up it. I've seen / not seen the view from the top in all weathers. If there is a mountain I could say I know like th back of my hand it is this one (we regularly use it for Assesing Scout Mountain Leaders navigation and mountain skills and it is perfect!)

I've climbed far bigger tops (even seen a view from the top of some of them ;) ) but this is my favourate by far....

915t75.jpg

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Not quite a mountain but at 661 metres Carrock fell is the one I like best.

I used to live just beside it when I was a nipper and had a great view of it from my bedroom window, I used to play in amonst the huge rocks at the bottom of it and when I was older and into climbing I used them for bouldering practice.

I remember being about 8 years old and sleeping in the caravan that we had in the yard and there was a lightning storm, Carrock fell got hit a few times by lightning.
Made my night, seeing that.

Two of my older brothers worked down Carrock mine (a Tungsten mine that closed down in the early 80s) which was just round the back of it and ontop of the fell theres a pre-Roman hillfort.

Not far from the peak theres also a wooden bothy (Lingey hut) that I have spent a few winter nights in also.

I was a few hunderd yards from the top when me and a mate saw a golden eagle so for me even though it's only 661 metres high it stands head and shoulders above it's taller bretherin.

Its the one with the twin peaks in this picture and not at all far away from Skiddaw..
carrock_fell_modern_stone.jpg

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Ben A'an is indeed fantastic. It has the sort of view that is way out of proportion to the (relatively trivial) effort involved getting there. Go early and you can still have the summit to yourself. Also, like Suilven, it looks impossible from some angles but has a very straightforward path. I took my son Ross there as his first real hill walking trip.

Think I like Suilven best. It's not even a Munro. I spent 3 weeks in Lochinver as a locum and I like the area very much.

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
Jon Pickett said:
What is your favourite mountain and why................Jon
Appologies to our Netherland friends for this thread

No need to apologize to the dutchies. We just get our kicks elsewere. This is my favorite playground near our cabin in the Austrian Alps. The Inntal near the Italian/Swiss border to be exact. In the picture you see the GamsKopf (left) and the Feichtener Karlspitze a bit behind. I climbed most of the tops within a days distance of the cabin.

alm_at_down.JPG

The picture was taken while enroute to another top, the Rother Schrofen. Here is a view from its top:

top_roter_schrofen.JPG

-Emile

Greenpete

Tenderfoot
Jan 20, 2004
Oxfordshire
www.greenpete.co.uk
g4ghb said:
An easy one! - Tryfan in North Wales. I've lost count of the times I have been up it. I've seen / not seen the view from the top in all weathers. If there is a mountain I could say I know like th back of my hand it is this one (we regularly use it for Assesing Scout Mountain Leaders navigation and mountain skills and it is perfect!)

I've climbed far bigger tops (even seen a view from the top of some of them ;) ) but this is my favourate by far....

915t75.jpg

I love that mountain too. I have fond memories of climbing and walking up it!
I can't remember the name of the easy multi pitch climb but it's poetry to climb, it seems so long ago now that I was there :sigh:

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Can't make me mind up.......part of it is in the journey for me......either Hellvelyn via Striding Edge....or..... Great Gable from Honister Pass ....or ....Scafell Pike from Seathwaite...or....High Street via Rigindale Ridge, then again Skiddaw or Blencathra or Snowdon via Crib Goch......I'll settle on Great Gable.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
falcon said:
Can't make me mind up.......part of it is in the journey for me......either Hellvelyn via Striding Edge....or..... Great Gable from Honister Pass ....or ....Scafell Pike from Seathwaite...or....High Street via Rigindale Ridge, then again Skiddaw or Blencathra or Snowdon via Crib Goch......I'll settle on Great Gable.

A few mates and I have ran down the screes on Great Gable, was quite an experience but there are some sections that have some fairly big stones among the small stuff :eek:

I set off first and as I went down I hit a bad bit, shouted behind me "Don't go there" as I continued on down...

My mates thought I said "Go there" :rolleyes: and all went down trhe dodgy bit.

Only one of them fell and he was OK (ish).

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
For me it's either the Buachaille Etive Mor or Tryfan......... hmmm
its got to be Tryfan and the Ogwen valley I love it there it was one of the first places i climbed as i teenager and i a place i got to know very well over the years i never get bored of it its just beautiful.

James

Rod

On a new journey
Snowdon in fully winter conditions with a summit bivvy is not bad ;) (Not for the faint hearted - decent was in whiteout conditions). Hey - I lived!

Y Lliwedd - the climbers route - 750 +/- ft of fantastically exposed climbing :eek:

You guys need to get to the Gredos Mountains of Spain - their best kept secret. High mountain trekking, stunning scenery, great wildlife etc etc etc

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE