Favourite Bannock recipe and cooking method?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

marky0283

Tenderfoot
Apr 24, 2014
Nr Buckingham
Hi all,

Being pretty new to this bushcraft malarky I wanted to try making a bannock bread for the first time over the weekend. What are your favourite recipes and methods of cooking it with fire? I am looking for a simple way of making it that I can learn and then do when I go out camping.

Cheers,

Mark

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
My favourite bread for making when camping is a flat bread, base dough is wholemeal flour and half as much water and a small amount of oil per person, mix flour, oil and water and form a dough and kneed it a bit in the bowl you are making it in, cover it and rest it 30 whilst you do other food stuffs at the fire, each bread takes 2 mins to cook and can be done on a grill over the coals, a hot rock or a dry pan or even direct on the hot coals if you don't mind a bit of ash, when you are ready for breads and your cook surface hot, take a golf ball sized piece of dough and flatten into a patty about 3ml thick cook on heat 2-3 mins each side, i usually have some seeds or oats or polenta or some other thing like that what i roll the golf ball sized dough ball in before flattening it and cooking it, if you want a sweet bread this can easy be raisins, crushed nuts, choc chips or whatever you got, i'm planning next time i go out to have some pre flavoured oils in small bottles in my food kit, one chilli and garlic, one rosemary and honey and the other i haven't worked out yet.

Here is my last chip butty around the fire

20140420_165053.jpg

I'll be interested in any bread recipes posted also, just thought i'd share mine as it is so easy

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
it will cook on any hot surface or suspended over heat, like a cleaned flat rock that was in the edge of the fire, if your tin had a good size and you made your patties small enough to be inside it flat and about 3ml thick it will work no problem, the oil in the dough helps with not sticking

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
if you want per person style measurements it is all off the cuff but i go at roughly 2 lightly heaped tablespoons of flour per person and that is around 4 level tablespoons of water with a teaspoon of oil to make the dough per person, this makes a 10 inch diameter flatbread 3ml thick or 2 smaller, after the dough is rested 30 mins it grows in size by about 50%.

your dough wants to be smooth and crack free after needing but not sticky, if it's sticky you add a bit more flour and if its cracked when you make it a ball when needing it it needs a little more water, sometimes it is a splash of water or a hand dusted in flour to make the difference but it is easy to tell, good thing is it is easy to practice at home and ingredients are cheap and non perishable in your pack, a 300g bag of flour is gonna make loads of breads, you can use the fat from cooking meats for your oil and all that kind of goodness, i'm salivating here

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE