Favorite ways to brew either at camp or home

andythecelt

Nomad
May 11, 2009
Planet Earth
You can buy Greek coffee that you use this way. A friend gave me a pack once but I've seen it in supermarkets. I can't remember the brand but it came in a green pack.

I've been experimenting on how to make the perfect camp coffee with

minimal equipment, and this is it:

Our local roastery has a commercial grinder, so I requested half a pound to be ground to the finest powder possible;
then I just use it as if it were instant coffee--no filters,percs, screens,
the fine silt sinks very quickly and stays at the bottom---
makes delicious strong real coffee.....

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I've been experimenting on how to make the perfect camp coffee with

minimal equipment, and this is it:

Our local roastery has a commercial grinder, so I requested half a pound to be ground to the finest powder possible;
then I just use it as if it were instant coffee--no filters,percs, screens,
the fine silt sinks very quickly and stays at the bottom---
makes delicious strong real coffee.....

Best to add the coffee in at the beginning with cold water, the fine grounds sink easier. I used to make a lot of Greek coffee when I lived on Cyprus and still do for me and my daughter now, but its too strong for the wife and son.

http://greekfood.about.com/od/mezethesdrinks/ss/htgreekcoffee.htm

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
I LIKE your little stove mate - tell me a bit about it?

Dom.

The stove is a petrol Optimus Hiker, long tried, tested and very reliable, or at least mine was until it was nicked. They are a tad on the heavy side though, due to the hinged outer casing.

Optimus is a Swedish company and the stove in the photo is still in production.

Last edited:
sorry i use Kenco 3 in one sachets but at least its a step up from Rat pack coffee:rolleyes:
heat water with what ever is avalible from Hobo with wood or gas or hexi or meths or green heat and a 12cm billy or Crusader mug

or just crusader and its cooker and green heat if ive just got the day pack

ATB

Duncan

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
one of these ways:

74514209.jpg

smartcafe cafetiere mug

or

camping_perk.jpg

although mine has a bail over the top for hanging and a d ring at the bottom for tipping

although at work the other day, i had neither so i used a filterpaper and a bog standard funnel.... paper in funnel, funnel in mug..... instant filter coffee

Same here SmartCafe cups are brilliant.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
In a camp where the car / truck is sitting right there and weight is not a problem i'll go for Percolator coffee. Folgers will do just fine. If I'm out in the woods and weight is a factor, I'll take tea bags as they are very light and I like tea every bit as much as coffee.

I usually take some "poncy" earl grey, or English breakfast tea along or possibly some green tea. And if all else fails just some plain old fashioned Lipton.

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
coffee all the way and if its just me and i want more than one cup

its bong water and coffee in kelly kettle and allow to boil pour in to cup add to heaped tea spoon of suger and stir 4 times right round the cup no more no less then bobs your uncle fannys your ant and ricks your best friend and coffee is down your neck

now please its nescafe instant gold blend

drew

ps and tea please i would rather drink used car oil i cant even stand the smell of it

EdS

tea - boil water, leave to just come of the boil add tea leaves or bags at a push.

coffee - add heap of coffee and sugar plus optional cardamon pod to ibrik, bring to roling boil, remove from heat for a short while then repeat x2. allow to settle and into cup.

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK
Mystery Science Coffee 3000!
1. At home spoon equal amounts of instant and sugar into bag.
2. When required, jiggle bag and insert spoon.
3. Put mixture in cup and add hot water.
4. Drink.

A surprise every time.

Rich^uk

Feb 4, 2010
England
When using real coffee ground up it's best not to boil the water first. It burns to coffee and makes it taste very bitter. (it's annoying being a barista as coffee rarely lives upto my expectations)

Now i only really drink tea. put it into my canteen and add boiling water. mmmmmmmm

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE