Favorite ferro rod

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
Hello guys I want to purchase a good ferro rod. I have 4, but cheap ones. now I want to buy a good one , which one would you suggest?
I am thinking about light my fire ,Exotac or Bear grylls fire starter

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
You may well be better off getting a rod of ferrocerium online and handling it yourself. That way you can have what you want. I got one from hammockman and its superb (cheers paddy use it all the time!) I've never found a huge difference in the rods themselves it's more handle shape that changes

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
Light my fire army 2.0

+1 its one of these I have, I've never used anything else but this works well for me...

13494119074_f07b4452be_m.jpg

Light my fire Swedish fire steel 2.0 Army model in Coco Shell. Comes with an emergency whistle which isn't up to much IMHO...

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
There is definitely a difference in the performance of different ferro rods (not always dependant on cost)….There is however a much bigger difference in the performance of the striker used. Some of the cheapest ferro rods work absolutely fine if you use a good striker, the little bit of hacksaw blade covered in Red or Green paint is not a particularly good one, nor is the spine of many a knife. The best strikers I have found (and they will work fine with the cheapest of ferro rods) is a good piece of glass or glazed pottery even a nice sharp piece of flint.

DB

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
There is definitely a difference in the performance of different ferro rods (not always dependant on cost)….There is however a much bigger difference in the performance of the striker used. Some of the cheapest ferro rods work absolutely fine if you use a good striker, the little bit of hacksaw blade covered in Red or Green paint is not a particularly good one, nor is the spine of many a knife. The best strikers I have found (and they will work fine with the cheapest of ferro rods) is a good piece of glass or glazed pottery even a nice sharp piece of flint.

DB

Yes I found that is true , I used glass with a cheap ferro rod and it worked great

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
'91 sir thanks for the comment.
Gcckoka would you like me to make you one with an antler handle? (gratis)

Last edited:

Pitkin

Life Member
Jul 26, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Hemlocks Padauk fire steels really are a very good investment, they really are extremely good quality and very practical to use because of their 'chunkiness'
however, the offer of a beautiful hand made deer antler one produced by a fellow BCUK bro would be a nice keepsake.

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
I am ordering now a bunch of stuff so I will save a few bucks if i buy light my fire , can you tell me which one should i take army or army 2.0 or is there no difference ratheter than handle shape?

Last edited:

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
The 2.0 has an emergency whistle incorporated into the striker handle, at first it seems crap but once you get the hang of using it you can make it scream a really high pitched tone, when i first blew threw it i sounded like a child trying to whistle through it's fingers

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
ok guys thank you all for your advices I ordered the army 2.0 , I will post an update when I'll receive it and try it out.
thanks

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
Such a generous offer Mr. Hammock.

I wonder if 'Gratis' doesn't translate easily into Georgian ?
{ free of charge - უფასო }

I didn't knew that word , I heard it the first time , wow why not , I would be very thankful Mr. Hammock

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE