Farriers rasp knife

juttle

Nomad
Feb 27, 2012
Devon
This is my first try at one of these!

Inspired by several Michael Morris YouTube offerings, I though, "what the hell", and came up with this. The original rasp was tempered down to between 60 and 65 Rockwell, according to my hardness files, and from there on it was grinding, shaping, more grinding, more shaping, you get the idea! The final grind was carried out on a slow running whetstone at approx 1000 grit to avoid any chance of overheating and messing up the temper.

The final dimensions are: overall length 250mm, the blade at its widest 36mm, 5mm thick tapering to the point, sharp bit 120mm, handle 130mm, pommel, or end cap, pewter, bolster, buffalo with stainless spacer and pin.

Sheath is dyed veg tan, 3mm, stitched with artificial sinew. The whole lot is finished with Ren Wax.

As you've probably guessed, I like the Wharncliffe blade type, and this one is shaving sharp!

So, what do you think?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

juttle

Nomad
Feb 27, 2012
Devon
Well!

Thanks for all your good words, guys, I'm pleased you like it!

Maybe I've hit on something! (Well, not me, but Mr Morris, thanks for all the ideas, if you happen to read this)

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Very nice, I wasn't expecting that blade profile from the first sheathed pic. I really like that, great transormation of a rasp!

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
That knife has really nice lines, I like lambsfoot blades and that one is superb :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE