Farmer sprays cyclist wild camper.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
According to my watch sunset to sunrise is about 6 hours 50 minutes. I believe the last time I camped on lowland, farmland it was about this same time of year on a tour of the Lakes. It was getting quite dark when we pitched up, three small tents. We left shortly after sunrise.

It was in a livestock field without livestock in it, they were a couple of fields away. We were also in a dip, below the main field height just above a stream with trees on about 3 sides iirc. It was a horrible midge fest so we went straight to sleep. We all got up and packed in maybe the half hour before sunrise. We had packed up just after sunrise and moved on to have breakfast and a brew later on.

Basically we used a bit of common sense in that we were pitched significantly away from a likely direction a farmer would pass, very discrete location and we were pretty much packed up and mobile when it was daylight. No road nearby to be seen by passing farmers or farming community members. Even far away from gates accessing the field.

There was no campsite on our route for several miles and hiking not cycling meant we couldn't easily travel to a campsite. Unlike the slurry camper who it seems was easily noticed and was very close to commercial campsites. The argument of the site being too expensive doesn't give you any rights to camp on farmland so that's a non-argument. If you can't or don't want to pay for what you want to do then don't do it. In this slurry campers case if he cycled past commercial campsites because he didn't want to pay for a legal stay well that's just another point against him imho.

Still, no need to spray slurry. Two wrongs don't make a right.

On one side there's an inconsiderate, self entitled cheapskate and on the other is a farmer with questionable judgement and possibly anger or control issues. Nobody comes out great here.

The only positive here is if even just one wildcamper learns about and uses the principle of pitch up late and move on early to avoid conflict in future. And another farmer thinks twice before direct action against a wildcamper.

mikehill

Settler
Nov 25, 2014
Warrington
Yup … if you wild camp then it is illegal and you take your chances. If I was a farmer then it would annoy me. But it was over the top.

High ground wild camping seems much more acceptable

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Is there no woods in Devon to camp in, instead of camping on farmland?
If the story happened as described then the farmer is in the wrong. Something doesn't seem quite right about it though.

If it is true then at least the farmer saw the camper, I've almost had a tractor and slurry tanker run into my car as the farmer was half asleep.

As for woods, I think I've mentioned before, the woods I own and around me have more than one whole large round bale of hayledge or straw in the bottom of the valley. Rolled down the field, strait through a fence and through a few hundred yards or wood. You wouldn't want to be sleeping in them.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
A landowner has the right to use reasonable force to remove a trespasser that doesn’t cooperate. Cow muck reasonable force? Only for a court to decide :)

Who in this day and age wants to roll the dice and find the vast difference between one considers reasonable force and potentially what the police or other parties lawyer considers reasonable force?

Dec 29, 2022
East Suffolk
The thing is, it's not always easy to ask for permission, especially if you are on the move and just looking to get your head down for a few hours in unfamiliar territory.
Either way though, that's pretty low behaviour from the farmer and the whole thing seemed a bit cowardly.

Reactions: Chris

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
The thing is, it's not always easy to ask for permission, especially if you are on the move and just looking to get your head down for a few hours in unfamiliar territory.
Either way though, that's pretty low behaviour from the farmer and the whole thing seemed a bit cowardly.

Whilst I agree - I believe someone mentioned there were two official campsite very close to this?

I'm not defending the farmer - but if there were no campsite in the immediate vicinity maybe the farmer would have been different.

Not clever of the farmer , not clever of the camper.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Some lessons learned are hard to eradicate, The Sargent Corps was quite insistent: "Thou shall not camp in sight."

Dec 29, 2022
East Suffolk
Whilst I agree - I believe someone mentioned there were two official campsite very close to this?

I'm not defending the farmer - but if there were no campsite in the immediate vicinity maybe the farmer would have been different.

Not clever of the farmer , not clever of the camper.
Yeah, true. But who knows the details. Maybe he didn't know about the campsites, or maybe he did. But regardless of the rights or wrongs, I just found the whole thing a bit distasteful and verging on the bullyish/cowardice side of things. I would have had more respect for the farmer had he actually got out and told him to leave.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE