Fantasy wilderness trip

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
When someone posted recently asking for advice about leaders of wilderness trips, I got to musing about who I would sign up with should I ever win the lottery and have enough for a canoe trip in Canada: my own dream adventure. I think I know the answer to my own question here, but I'm not about to reveal who I'd ask so as not to embarrass anyone! I'd be curious to know who other members may choose though. What is your "trip of a lifetime" and who would you sign up with if money was no object?

This got me to thinking about those stirring tales of adventure and exploration that we all- come on confess it- read on winter night by the fireside. Nessmuk, Grey Owl, Sturt or whoever. You know, the sort of mythical figures that Ray Mears makes programmes about. The story that probably stirs me most is the Lewis and Clark expedition. All the way across the US through spectacular scenery in the days when there was plenty of land for everyone and co-operation not competition was the watchword. The expedition members were not volunteers, just regular soldiers detailed off for a rather odd operation. And what a feat. Lewis and Clarke got their squad from one side of the US to the other, over wintering and living off the land. They didn't have much in the way of maps- indeed they made maps as they went. All this for the loss of only one man who died from appendicitis not long after starting out, and in the 19th century he would probably have died of this in barracks. What a high level of bushcraft skills they must have had. I love to think I would have been up to their standard if fate had put me in that position. And I'd have loved to have met that Sacagawea- what a girl and with a new-born baby too!

What past expedition would you like to have been part of ? What stirring account can you recommend to read during the rest of the winter and whet the appetite for adventure in the year ahead?

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
The Brendan Voyage, the most recent or the Dark Age one.
3985479442_98c08b898a.jpg

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Why go into the wilds when you can journey throuugh the wilds to a marvelous civilisation?

And when you get back, your adventures were so fantastic no one believes you?

I choose Marco Polo as my fellow traveller.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Far too many to list them all. Just a few:
-The above mentioned Lewis & Clark expedition
-Stanley and Livingston
-Alexander The Great and his conquest of Asia
-Daniel Boone and the Cumberlands

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Across Canada? None other than Simon Fraser.
Exploring the Pacific Northwest? The early anthropologist Franz Boas with no doubt.

Marco Polo did do one thing: he dropped the news about the origin of spices which had been traded along the Silk Road.
Not only do you need to put boats in the water but you have to be good enough navigators to get home with the loot.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Latitude of where you left from, latitude of where you arrived. Easy to navigate back. At the moment I am researching old style navigation, again, fascinating subject not least because of published researchers knocking spots off each other for their assorted theories. Much the same with earlier explorers, "Black Swans! Really!"

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Latitude of where you left from, latitude of where you arrived. Easy to navigate back. At the moment I am researching old style navigation, again, fascinating subject not least because of published researchers knocking spots off each other for their assorted theories. Much the same with earlier explorers, "Black Swans! Really!"

Have you got a Sun Stone?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE