fancy a tomahawk

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

singe1986

Forager
Feb 3, 2013
thirsk
As title really, I fancy trying out a tomahawk but have no idea which keep looking at cold steel but keep hearing horror stories anyway im not after out flash just something decent to try the erganomics on any suggestions are most welcome cheers

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
It must be almost Biker Hawk season.
Keep an eye out for one of his take-down hawks.
Heavily modded French axe heads with good heavy
hardwood handles & good for your first go at a hawk.
If you find you don't like it you will not lose money as
they are much sought after on this forum.I got back
what I paid Biker for mine as it didn't suit me.
Cheers , Simon

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Another vote for recycled boot sale finds from Aaron (Biker of this parish). I have two of his tomahawks and a couple of small axes. :)

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
I have a cold steel pipe hawk, I ditched the screw, got rid of the paint on the head and I stained the handle. I also gave it a thinner edge. Now it's better at chopping than my SFA but it's no good at splitting.

*Dusty*

Tenderfoot
Oct 21, 2011
N Ireland
I have a SOG Fast hawk which I like a lot, sheath is a bit crap but the hawk itsself is quite good at splitting down kindling. It'll go through an arm thickness branch or whatever in no time, will take on something thicker as well but I would say you'll break a sweat.......

singe1986

Forager
Feb 3, 2013
thirsk
Thats pretty much it nonsuch, it is more of a curosity I mainly use big knives and a mid sized fiskars axe for heavier work and they suit me fine and some would say if aint broke dont fix it but me im more of a dont knock till youve tried it type of guy. I must admit the stories ive heard are mainly about the qc but I suppose for the price cant really grumble and after reading modding thread seems abit of fun making it my own lol, now which design to go for will be hard part thank you for the input guys

SteveW

Forager
Dec 10, 2006
Launceston,Cornwall
I have a cold steel trail hawk, it my main user now as I can't honestly see much point in carrying anything heavier unless I plan to build a full on log cabin. There is a modding thread somewhere, take a look. Having said that, I have a hankering to get a CS pipe hawk to have a play with.

BJJJ

Native
Sep 3, 2010
North Shropshire
I have a cold steel trail hawk, it my main user now as I can't honestly see much point in carrying anything heavier unless I plan to build a full on log cabin. There is a modding thread somewhere, take a look. Having said that, I have a hankering to get a CS pipe hawk to have a play with.

+1 I have got rid of the screw and the black coating and it holds an edge very well for carving.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE