Fallkniven F1 opinions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

davidpingu

Forager
Nov 3, 2012
Cwmbran
I've had a read around and watched some YouTube videos but wanted to ask again for some fresh opinions. What's people's experience?
My current knife is a stainless Mora 2010 Bushcraft knife and I've never been that impressed. I've had 2 other people have a try and sharpen it and although I can get it to cut reasonably well I've never got it to shave hair like I've seen some do with their knives.

I don't want to open a huge scandi vs convex debate but I'm tempted to try a convex for a change.

I've never managed to sharpen a scandi well so am I to be trusted with convex? Was thinking of just using a strop and some compound.

Blade on the F1 looks a nice size and I like the fact it's meant to use a good quality Japanese steel. I'm quite partial to Japanese quality.

Main things I've seen people not like is the handle which some feel is not all that comfortable?

NoName

Settler
Apr 9, 2012
the Pro also has also a much better geometry, I does not look so convex as before, so it will perform better in cutting operations.
but the pro seems so expensive...just crazy...don't do it

I have a Larson Forge and Finis boot knife, custom, convex
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Larson-Forg...boot-knife-5160-Mexican-Chechen-/271594400701
hand made 5mm spine, superb! 5160 spring steel

http://www.larsonforgeandfinish.com/images/BOOT_SLAB_C.JPG

ps also try a Morakniv bushcraft black, 1/8 price or less, 27 degrees scandi (increased) with micro bevel (mora then the 2000) 3.2 mm spine
My favorite all round
there is no better steel then carbon steel. Just Iron and Carbon, best egde retention (no rolling or chipping) and sharpness, just keep it clean and put Camelia oil on it now and then.

Last edited:

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I've had a read around and watched some YouTube videos but wanted to ask again for some fresh opinions. What's people's experience?
My current knife is a stainless Mora 2010 Bushcraft knife and I've never been that impressed. I've had 2 other people have a try and sharpen it and although I can get it to cut reasonably well I've never got it to shave hair like I've seen some do with their knives.

I believe the Mora is 12c27 and there's nothing wrong with that. Almost all the Victorinox and EKA/Nordic blades (at least a dozen) I have are the same steel.
12c27 is designed for razor blades, so you should be able to get a razor sharp edge on it fairly easily if the blade hasn't been abused.

The F1 was designed for specific purposes. I'm not sure that it's what you want.

I don't want to open a huge scandi vs convex debate but I'm tempted to try a convex for a change.

Noted, but if you're not used to a convex edge I'd recommend spending less than 200 quid on your first one. :)

I've never managed to sharpen a scandi well so am I to be trusted with convex? Was thinking of just using a strop and some compound.

A convex edge is supposed to be a tougher geometry than a scandi as there's more metal to back up the edge. But if you can't sharpen a scandi well then I don't imagine that a convex will be any easier.
Work on your technique instead. In my experience more or less any good blade steel responds well to careful stropping. Do you use a flexible strop or a hard backed one?
I'd recommend a hard backing such as plywood or a mechanical tensioning arrangement such as I have on some old, small, portable razor strops and which I both like and use a lot.
Using Autosol as the abrasive I use them to sharpen some of the more difficult steels, with good results.

Blade on the F1 looks a nice size and I like the fact it's meant to use a good quality Japanese steel. I'm quite partial to Japanese quality.

I'm not a fan of abuse of the word 'quality'. To me, good quality means what it means to manufacturers - ISO9000 - as opposed to for example salesmen, who generally have no idea what it means.
Good quality means to the customer more or less that he gets what was designed (and what he ordered) and it's free of significant defects so that it doesn't fall to bits the first time he uses it.
It might not be designed to be used twice but that doesn't necessarily mean poor quality.
As well as good examples, I've seen some poor examples of quality from Japan.

Main things I've seen people not like is the handle which some feel is not all that comfortable?

The list of changes to the Pro version on the Heinnie Website doesn't mention the handle, but it's obviously different in some ways because it has a stainless cross guard (which for me would be a big put-off for cold weather use - I wonder how much they've thought about that).
The handle on the F1 is something of a compromise. It's never going to be as comfortable for extended use as something more ergonomic.
I like the F1 for its light weight, small size and corrosion resistance, but I would never batton with any laminated blade so if I carry mine it's unlikely to be the only blade I carry.

A convex blade is definitely an acquired taste, but if you do acquire it you might feel more at home with it than with a scandi.
Most of the time I could be happy with either, although I might choose one over the other for any particular job.
In any case I mostly use something more akin to either a full flat or a high sabre grind, generally with a bevel.
I like a convex grind on choppers like my axes, Malaysian parangs, etc. which is IMO where the convex geometry comes into its own.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
My opinion of the F1 is that its an absolute horror of a knife. Too thick for its length, crudely convexed with one of the worst handle designs I've ever encountered. I hated it so much that I auctioned mine for charity since I couldn't bear to accept money for such an inferior tool.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
If you definitely want to go down the Survival knife alley, it would be worth seeking out the knives made for the Finnish Army (I think!) by J-P Peltonen. They're pretty good and significantly less expensive than the Fallkniven F1, even with shipping from Scandinavia.

Sep 11, 2014
Maidstone, KENT
If you definitely want to go down the Survival knife alley, it would be worth seeking out the knives made for the Finnish Army (I think!) by J-P Peltonen. They're pretty good and significantly less expensive than the Fallkniven F1, even with shipping from Scandinavia.

I dithered too long on one of these - showing 'temporarily out of stock' :(

https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/j-p-peltonen-sissipuukko/11824

These are available though :

https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/terava-jaakaripuukko-110-w-leather-sheath/33531

The Skarma bushtool also gets excellent reviews :

https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/terava-skrama-bush-knife-carbon-w-leather-sheath/30189

No affiliations etc...

davidpingu

Forager
Nov 3, 2012
Cwmbran
Thanks for everybody's comments, you've all succeeded at putting me off :lmao:
It's way more than I've ever spent on a knife so I wanted it to be something I'd be happy with.
I think I need to spend more time working on the mora and getting a decent edge on that as well as getting maybe a second mora in carbon variant and get more experience with these first.
Just watched a really good video:
http://youtu.be/s4G0Iym_moA

It tells me I maybe need to stick with scandi, at least for time being for the wider angles it affords for wood carving. Will get another cheapy mora in carbon this time (the one in the vid) and put some of the money saved towards more sharpening stuff like the kit in the vid :)

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
By the looks if that, its far less of a knife than it was. Much lower grind, whilst adding .5mm to the steel thickness, means much thicker behind the edge, means much poorer cutting performance. They've made a mess of it totally, more comfortable to hold in exchange for terrible cutting performance...... no thanks.

Fallkniven just beefed up some older versions of the F1, S1 and A1, think they changed the handle thickness 

http://www.fallkniven.com/sv/shop/details/626/7/new-products/f1pro

I sold my F1 years ago but I come to realise that I miss its stainless and batonning capabilities, going to order the new F1 pro as it also has a better guard this time.

Last edited:

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Erm, what? By lowering the grind to half way down the blade, adding .5 mm of thickness, and still using a convex means the knife is FAR more convex than before.

the Pro also has also a much better geometry, I does not look so convex as before, so it will perform better in cutting operations.

Last edited:

NoName

Settler
Apr 9, 2012
Erm, what? By lowering the grind to half way down the blade, adding .5 mm of thickness, and still using a convex means the knife is FAR more convex than before.

Actually the grind on the pro is higher up the blade, so the fist section where cutting the angle is lower.
But as I stated before do not buy it. So short and thick n convex no not for bushcraft

Ger has very good points. Good advice.
I also like homesick steve's second knife advice.
Please also consider the mora bushcraft black. With the money spent buy a king sharpening stobe set ��

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
With all the respect i can muster..... have you gone mental?

The F1 grind went pretty much to the spine.....

http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/.../fallkniven-f1-pilots-survival-knife-72-p.jpg

The spine was 4.5mm, the grind came to the spine..... the angle of the grind, which goes from edge to spine..... was far far finer, than one which is 5mm stock and starts halfway down the blade.

Actually the grind on the pro is higher up the blade, so the fist section where cutting the angle is lower.
But as I stated before do not buy it. So short and thick n convex no not for bushcraft

Ger has very good points. Good advice.
I also like homesick steve's second knife advice.
Please also consider the mora bushcraft black. With the money spent buy a king sharpening stobe set ��

NoName

Settler
Apr 9, 2012
I had a f1 for 6 years
The grind did not go up the spine.
I have to draw it to explain it.
But the normal f1 has a strange profile. First high convex angle til 1/5 to 1/4 then gradualy ( not visual on your picture) a new lower convex curve till the spine.
There is also a youtube video by virtuovice where he also states this crap geometry.
The New pro f1 has a higher grind/ lower initual concex shape : The makers state it is a refined convex shape with better cutting performance.
The one who calls someone stuff that 99% of the time refers to the one who states that.
But actually that's your karma so you probably know or will get to know.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I make knives for a living dude. Also had an F1 for years. Still wear a nice scar from it.

The original F1 has a much finer grind than the new, can't argue with mathematics, the numbers speak for themselves.
Fist one actually has a flat grind until a certain point, which reduces the steel thickness by half, and then around 8 mm from the edge the convex starts properly. Meaning that the steel, for quite a way, is thinner than the steel behind the edge, than on the new one.
Ps, also said pretty much to the spine, not quite all the way, but nearly. as in, within 5mm on a poorly ground one.

And again, a pic for you......See there bit where the grind stops.... either at the spine or very near to, depending on quality control.....
http://www.x-plane.org/home/urf/knives/fallkniven/f1_both.jpg

Here's one more....
http://s426.photobucket.com/user/zagabul/media/DSC_0586.jpg.html

Last edited:

NoName

Settler
Apr 9, 2012
Not finer on the first part of the blade.
Or is the Fallkniven site lying ?
Yes the pro has bigger shoulders and thicker spine but has a finer cutting profile on the first part, the cutting part.

Anyway it is a bad combi, very thick spine and more fine cutting profile I think the pro knife maker and This ultra simple Wood dweller can agree upon ?

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
There was nothing wrong with the original F1..... but it was never a bushcraft knife.... it was never intended to be. This new one...... pfft..... its worse than the original. Cant really thicken the blade, lower the grind, keep it convex and call it a finer cutting edge... you could if it was hollow ground, but as it aint..........

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
I agree with all of the comments with regard to the F1, it posess zero finesse as a cutting tool in it's factory guise, and I cannot see the new 'pro' version being much of an improvement, the blade stock is just too beefy.
If you say that you are fancying trying a convex grind, why not get a pro to make one up to your specs?
The beauty of this would be, that the geometry will be bang on, and a good convex grind is a doddle to maintain using a hard backed strop & compound.
You may be surprised that you dob't have to spend much more than the price of a new F1, and possibly less.

NoName

Settler
Apr 9, 2012
agreed Silverback
a nice custom with a very high grind, one shallow natural convex from 0 to spine, without big micro secondairy or short and big secondairy convex shapes is very nice indeed . The F1 pro does not have this either.Better go for a custom or totally regrind a hardened factory knife, as Virtuovice does (on YouTube) (not easy and takes lots of time)

@Hillbill
The point I am trying to make which differs from yours:
the Original F1 has lets say 3 convex shapes, so not 1 (one) all the way to the spine (as you stated before). I am saying:
old F1: - Microbevel- big convex shape till 1/5th of the blade, graduating (not seen on photo) to the convex shape which you point out runst to the spine-spine
probalbe the new F1: - micro bevel- shallow convex all the way beyond halfway the with (lets say til 3/5th) - very flat convex-spine-

so the old F1 is much beefier/thicker, broader shoulders the first 1/5th of the blade. so more cutting resistance. so Fallkniven calls the pro improved convex better cutting?
If this forum did not require a link a would now post a foto of a drawing.

to further back up my point and prove you are not right:
quote:
""With all the respect i can muster..... have you gone mental?

The F1 grind went pretty much to the spine.....""

: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSHRPW3Pma8 from 1:04
I do take apologies Hillbill

:)

Last edited:

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Im assuming you know what a plunge line is? The bit, that on an F1, comes to the spine?

Which in my opinion at least, shows just where the grind goes to?

The knife shown in the video...... looks weird... its hollow ground on the first side you see it, and flat on the second.....

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE