Fallkniven F1 opinions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi Guys!

There's always one in a crowd. And I guess this time it's me. :)

I can't speak to the new design. But I have owned an F1 for many years and love the knife. I've used mine to baton and process wood for making fire and building shelters, to carve bow-drill sets, to harvest and process wild edible and medicinal plants, and for food preparation around camp. I have also used it to build traps and snares.

The thickness of the blade and the convex grind made it a bit trickier for me to control when doing fine carving. But my primary application is wilderness survival. And for this it excels. The blade has always been sharp, reliable, and resilient for me.

Good luck in your search for a knife!

- Woodsorrel

Ruud

Jun 29, 2012
Belgium
www.rudecheers.wordpress.com
You just need to make out what it is that you need.
A knife for all kinds of crafts/chores in camp, carving spoons etcetera: Bushcraft knife : Scandi
A knife you need to be able to depend on in winter : Survival knife : Convex

That's the difference I make for myself. I just don't have the time to whittle sticks or carve spoons in winter, and I don't want to check my edge every time I pry my knife through a stubborn piece of wood. That's why the F1 Pro ticks boxes for me, the more pronounced guard might do a better job not letting my gloves slip over it (which happened more than once with the original one). For foodprep and delicate carving I just pop out my SAK. (I will handle the F1 Pro before buying it, there is ofcourse a chance that it doesn't feel right)

I sometimes feel we want our knives to do a lot of different tasks with excellence, which just is never going to happen.

As for the comment on the stainless guard and cold: If it is too cold to touch the guard, you are probably wearing gloves.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
This is a wonderfully comforting thread as I now realise how much more complicated might be the weakness that is my passion for knives were it required to consider the technicalities in addition to the aesthetic.

K

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I had an f1 for a few years. I'd say unless you already know exactly what the f1 is and what it does/doesn't do well. Or you just want one for the sake of it, then its probably not the knife for you

Its a thick, clumsy thing with a too thin handle and a weak tip imo

NoName

Settler
Apr 9, 2012
Im assuming you know what a plunge line is? The bit, that on an F1, comes to the spine?

Which in my opinion at least, shows just where the grind goes to?

We can probably agree ��

Soms Nice points for a convex edge here

As for convex winter knives:
A Nice suggestion may be the Bark River Bravo 1.5 rampless in A1. Better handle and longer blade.
De f1 is compact and flat because it is designed for ejecting pilots.

Hi Guys!

There's always one in a crowd. And I guess this time it's me. :)

I can't speak to the new design. But I have owned an F1 for many years and love the knife. I've used mine to baton and process wood for making fire and building shelters, to carve bow-drill sets, to harvest and process wild edible and medicinal plants, and for food preparation around camp. I have also used it to build traps and snares.

The thickness of the blade and the convex grind made it a bit trickier for me to control when doing fine carving. But my primary application is wilderness survival. And for this it excels. The blade has always been sharp, reliable, and resilient for me.

Good luck in your search for a knife!

- Woodsorrel

that would make it two- i recently got an [older] F1 as a gift and i like it. i*m not using knives for batoning other than splitting small-sized timber/bamboo lengthwise- using my hand as a **baton** as i believe in using axes/natas/parangs for splitting and saws for cutting larger pieces of timber [everyone to their own liking...], but i use mine [almost] daily for all sorts of cutting chores-- and so far i have no complaints about the performance. [i have not tried to carve a spoon with it- for that i use my kiridashi- but when out in the forest or up on the mountain i do*nt carve/whittle spoons....]
and the stainless steel is a bonus in wet/humid conditions....

when i look at fallknivens website i can see both the old and the new version....

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE