Fallkniven Battle for my blood

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

xairbourne

Jan 10, 2006
Pontypool
www.youtube.com
Please help…Ok im looking to get a new knife, I was looking at the Fallkniven F1 but now the S1 has been thrown into the equation.

Let the battle begin the victorious knife will probably get to cut me!

leon-1

xairbourne said:
Nice but I have made my mind up...nearly

As Joe said, if you think they are a bit ugly there is a perfect solution, buy the blank and make one yourself.

The only thing I did not really like about the F1 was the handle and that is easy enough to sort out if you buy a blade blank, make the handle to fit you.

That's one piece of advice that I think could go with pretty much all of the Fallkniven range working from the WM1, F1, H1, S1 and the A1.

leon-1

Squidders said:
do the blade blanks have the same handle as the complete knife?

Blade blanks are blade only Squidders, no sheath, no bolts, no liners and no scale material.

The first Fallkniven that I bought was the H1 and the handle wasn't quite big enough for my hand (it was long enough, just not wide enough), the production run F1 was the same and having used one that Neil1 had re-handled I thought that was the way to go when I bought the F1.

It works out more expensive than a production run knife, but in the long run it saved me money as I had thought about buying one of the Micarta versions, but I found the handle on that was a bit small for my hand also.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
Squidders said:
Actually, I checked out the place I got my Helle from and saw this... http://www.jls-wednesbury.org/id52.html bargain I thought... just thought I'd add even more confusion... the F1 and S1 are great knives without a doubt... do you not think they're a little ugly though?? :p

That knife is a real bargain, if I wasn't going to attempt to make my own thats what i'd buy. Dribble.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
leon-1 said:
Blade blanks are blade only Squidders, no sheath, no bolts, no liners and no scale material.

The first Fallkniven that I bought was the H1 and the handle wasn't quite big enough for my hand (it was long enough, just not wide enough), the production run F1 was the same and having used one that Neil1 had re-handled I thought that was the way to go when I bought the F1.

It works out more expensive than a production run knife, but in the long run it saved me money as I had thought about buying one of the Micarta versions, but I found the handle on that was a bit small for my hand also.

Cheers Leon, for some reason, I thought the tang wasn't the same... going mad again.

leon-1

Squidders said:
Cheers Leon, for some reason, I thought the tang wasn't the same... going mad again.

You're right on that as well, the handle on a production run is morticed so the tang is narrower than that which you find on on a full blade blank.

The holes in the tang of a blade blank are 7/32 (5.5mm) for the pins and 1/4 (6.3mm) inch for the lanyard loop, whereas there are only 2 holes in the tang of a production run model, one is for the lanyard and the other is small and about a centimeter away.

ColdIron

Jun 27, 2004
Odense, Denmark
Got both S1 and F1.
(and the A1, WM1, TK2 and U2)

Handles' almost the same.
(and yes they are on the 'slim' side)

S1 feels like a much larger knife imo.
Almost to large for daily tasks.
IMHO, if your looking for a heavy duty survival knife go for the S1.
If your looking for an (almost) edc, buy the F1

If I was to chose one, and one only, I would chose the F1, hands down, everytime!

Yours
Erik

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You could always buy my F1 (with both dangler and flap top sheaths). Absolutely mint on the basis I think its the most 'orrible knife ever made. I really mean that by the way. I hate it so much I've debated binning it since I don't like passing on a "bad blade". But if you are determined to buy one anyway........

Red

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I bought an F1 a few months ago, and have to say it is really growing on me, it is solid enough for tough work and I have done some small scale carving with good success. It also cuts veg quite well too and is very easy to sharpen...
Ok, a wooden handle would look nicer, but at least I will never break the plastic handle and its got a good grip on it....

hollowdweller

Forager
Mar 3, 2006
appalachia
British Red said:
You could always buy my F1 (with both dangler and flap top sheaths). Absolutely mint on the basis I think its the most 'orrible knife ever made. I really mean that by the way. I hate it so much I've debated binning it since I don't like passing on a "bad blade". But if you are determined to buy one anyway........

Red

I hate stainless, thick blades, and rubber handles but I really love my F1.

Red,

What is it you don't like about it? I'd be interested to know.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
If I understand Red correctly, hollowdweller, the sheath is the only thing Red likes about the F1 (the dangler, not the Politically Correct one with the closed top).

Red is/was infamous for his dislike of the F1. Initially I found his profuse objections a little irritating, but with time, came to enjoy his ‘banging on’ about how awful the F1 is.

I can’t help feeling a twinge of regret now that the ‘banging on’ will be at an end <sigh> :)

Best regards,
Paul.

Reactions: British Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE