Fallkniven Battle for my blood

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
That would be the short answer, hollowdweller, I dare say Red could expand on your summary, at length, but has sworn not to, ever again, on another thread :D

Best regards,
Paul.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
British Red said:
You could always buy my F1 (with both dangler and flap top sheaths). Absolutely mint on the basis I think its the most 'orrible knife ever made. I really mean that by the way. I hate it so much I've debated binning it since I don't like passing on a "bad blade". But if you are determined to buy one anyway........

Red
You don't have a Mora then?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
No mate I don't have "a" Mora :D.

Still, I'd take em all over a Northstar ;)

HD, I've become boring on the F1 so I'll hold my tongue, suffice it to say I actually do like the fact that there are sheath options - but thats it

Red

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
Of all of the knives I've seen here, the design I like the most, regardless of it's 'prettiness', is the one pictured below. I wouldn't mind something like that in D2 tool steel with ugly grey micarta handles.

Anyone know who made that knife?

DSC02152.JPG

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
mrostov said:
Of all of the knives I've seen here, the design I like the most, regardless of it's 'prettiness', is the one pictured below. I wouldn't mind something like that in D2 tool steel with ugly grey micarta handles.

Anyone know who made that knife?

[image removed]

I wouldn’t bother, mrostov. Alan Wood is the guy who makes the ‘potato peeler’ for ‘The Doughnut King’ :)

Best regards,
Paul.

leon-1

British Red said:
You could always buy my F1 (with both dangler and flap top sheaths). Absolutely mint on the basis I think its the most 'orrible knife ever made. I really mean that by the way. I hate it so much I've debated binning it since I don't like passing on a "bad blade". But if you are determined to buy one anyway........

Red

That's a shame Red, I was seriously thinking about getting in touch with you, probably beginning of March (when I have cleared my backlog) to speak about re-handling and reprofiling it for you.

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
TheGreenMan said:
I wouldn’t bother, mrostov. Alan Wood is the guy who makes the ‘potato peeler’ for ‘The Doughnut King’ :)

Best regards,
Paul.

Yeah, but that knife is a much better designed wilderness knife than the The Doughnut King's preferred potato peeler. The grind is one I prefer more and the knife is better designed for a good grip and for 'choking up' on for close in work. That knife actually has something approaching a realistic fingerguard in it's design.

Here's another example of Alan Wood's work which I like qute a bit, though not quite as much as the aforementioned blade. A REALLY good field knife would be the first blade with the handle and primary fingerguard design of that knife,

ALANWOOD.jpg

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
mrostov said:
Yeah, but that knife is a much better designed wilderness knife than the The Doughnut King's preferred potato peeler. The grind is one I prefer more and the knife is better designed for a good grip and for 'choking up' on for close in work. That knife actually has something approaching a realistic fingerguard in it's design.

Here's another example of Alan Wood's work which I like qute a bit, though not quite as much as the aforementioned blade. A REALLY good field knife would be the first blade with the handle and primary fingerguard design of that knife,...

From the above text:

'...is a much better designed wilderness knife...'

'...is one I prefer more...'

'...the knife is better designed for a good grip and for 'choking up'... '

'...which I like qute a bit...'

'...A REALLY good field knife would be...'

With knives it's all personal preference, personal need, cultural tradition, and subjective opinion (see highlighted text above).

There is rarely anything objective in the debate of a blade. This is something I learned a long time ago. There is no subject so contentious as knife choice and blade grind. I rarely bother discussing blades, other than to exchange, objective, technically based information with others. I would never say that one knife is better than another, I would only suggest that one knife may be better suited to one's purpose, than another.

I hope this makes my position clear, I'm really not looking for conflict with you or anyone else, or to persuade anyone that they are wrong and I am right (although I usually am – kidding! :lmao: ) . I'm only interested in information. I like to learn, I do not like not to be 'brainwashed' with biased opinion.

And, boy do I wish we had the kind of terrain you have over there! I'm seriously envious of you :)

All the very best to you,
Paul.

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
TheGreenMan said:
From the above text:
I hope this makes my position clear, I'm really not looking for conflict with you or anyone else, or to persuade anyone that they are wrong and I am right (although I usually am – kidding! :lmao: ) . I'm only interested in information. I like to learn, I do not like not to be 'brainwashed' with biased opinion.
Paul.

I'm just stating my own opinions on knives, not trying to 'brainwash' anyone. I often do have reasons for what I prefer, though. But, even those who I share my traditional stomping grounds with, there is a LOT of variation on who likes what.

I kind of prefer the more traditional, older style knives like you'd find in the hands of a backwoodsman in N. America 50 or 100 years ago. Some of my tastes are influenced by terrain. For example, I've spent a LOT of time knocking about the Sonora Desert. IMHO two of the best hand tools for the Sonora are a 6" Rapala (Scandinavian style) filet knife and a pair of steel barbecue tongs. Barbecue tongs are essential desert survival tools in the Sonora (the Injuns used to make their tongs out of wood and twine).

Yet, a huge number of Americans seem to be obsessed with 'tacti-cool' blades. There are a lot of 'survival' knives sold that verge from fantasy creations to knives who's design is purely for a combat situation. IMHO, a tanto style blade is not the best you can have for livining in the wilderness. For living in the wilderness I'd rather have Mear's potato peeler than a tanto style knife.

Too many people over here will obsess endlessly on their arsenal of firearms, but will mostly neglect their basic cutting tools.

I think that is one area where a lot of Brits have it together is that though they may have their own tastes and fads on the matter, at least the Brits I've seen who are serious about this will use are well built knives, not some made in China piece of junk that looked cool at Walmart and was only $10.

TheGreenMan said:
From the above text:
And, boy do I wish we had the kind of terrain you have over there! I'm seriously envious of you.
All the very best to you,
Paul.

That is true, we do have some wild terrain, and a lot of it. Want an 800m shooting range in Arizona? Just drive till you don't see houses anymore, and so long as it's not an Indian reservation you're good to go.

One of my Arizona properties is up past Show Low (a town named after a 19th Century card game played over who would control the town). It's about one mile above sea level. One night while driving between Show Low and the nearest town to the east, called Springerville, I counted over 50 elk grazing in the ditch along the 45 mile drive, and that was just what I could see in the headlights.

America has it's problems, mostly social (the US has an increasingly unstable social structure) but the country's biggest saving grace, IMHO, there is still a vast amount of wilderness to retreat to.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Nice post.

mrostov said:
I'm just stating my own opinions on knives, not trying to 'brainwash' anyone...

Sorry, mrostov, I didn’t mean to imply that you in particular, were trying to ‘brainwash’ anyone, it was intended as an attempt to describe a certain attitude (and my frustration with it) that one encounters from time to time on various forums. You may know the kind of thing, where unsubstantiated opinion outweighs the objective information. But then again, I’m not discouraging discussion, after all that’s what forums are intended for.

mrostov said:
...I often do have reasons for what I prefer, though. But, even those who I share my traditional stomping grounds with, there is a LOT of variation on who likes what...

I quite understand.

mrostov said:
...I kind of prefer the more traditional, older style knives like you'd find in the hands of a backwoodsman in N. America 50 or 100 years...

Yep, I just bought a couple of really inexpensive knifes from a company that have been making knives in ‘your neck of the woods’ since 1800. Real old-timer’s style.

mrostov said:
...I've spent a LOT of time knocking about the Sonora Desert. IMHO two of the best hand tools for the Sonora are a 6" Rapala (Scandinavian style) filet knife and a pair of steel barbecue tongs. Barbecue tongs are essential desert survival tools in the Sonora (the Injuns used to make their tongs out of wood and twine)...

Very intesting.

mrostov said:
...Yet, a huge number of Americans seem to be obsessed with 'tacti-cool' blades. There are a lot of 'survival' knives sold that verge from fantasy creations to knives who's design is purely for a combat situation....

I know the 'syndrome' you speak of.

mrostov said:
...Too many people over here will obsess endlessly on their arsenal of firearms....

The opportunity to do that would be a fine thing, and very welcome at this end :)

mrostov said:
...Want an 800m shooting range in Arizona?... .

YES! :D

mrostov said:
...One of my Arizona properties is up past Show Low (a town named after a 19th Century card game played over who would control the town). It's about one mile above sea level. One night while driving between Show Low and the nearest town to the east, called Springerville, I counted over 50 elk grazing in the ditch along the 45 mile drive, and that was just what I could see in the headlights...

...but the country's biggest saving grace, IMHO, there is still a vast amount of wilderness to retreat to.

Oh boy, you’re doing it again mrostov, I’m just going insane with envy. I can’t take much more of this kind of information about the terrain with out letting out a ‘primal scream’ :D

I’m with you in the Sonora, mrostov, if only ‘in spirit’.

All the very best,
Paul.

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
TheGreenMan said:
Yep, I just bought a couple of really inexpensive knifes from a company that have been making knives in ‘your neck of the woods’ since 1800. Real old-timer’s style.

Ontario's Old Hickory brand?

mrostov said:
...I've spent a LOT of time knocking about the Sonora Desert. IMHO two of the best hand tools for the Sonora are a 6" Rapala (Scandinavian style) filet knife and a pair of steel barbecue tongs. Barbecue tongs are essential desert survival tools in the Sonora (the Injuns used to make their tongs out of wood and twine)...
TheGreenMan said:
Very intesting.Paul.

The Sonora, as harsh as it looks, is actually one of the world's most edible ecosystems, with at least 485 known edible species of plants. It's one the few environments outside of the tropics where a person can live most of the year on wild edible plants. A lot of it is an acquired taste, though some of it is quite tasty, such as the fruit of the pear cactus, a very common Sonoran food that tastes like a raspberry.

Very few plants in the Sonora are toxic. But, as a defense, most are protected with spines of some sort. So, in order to harvest this food source, you do it just like the Indians did.

You get a bowl, cook pot, or pail of some sort, your very handy steel barbecue tongs, and your Finnish made, razor sharp 6" filet knife, and you collect the produce into the container. You really need the 6" knife because you need to keep a distance between you and those spines.

To use the produce, you need ot de-spine them. You do NOT scrape them as Les Stroud tried to do in Survivorman (and he was picking them out of his tongue as a result). You start a small fire, and with your tongs or a sharpened stick you touch the harvested item to the flames, with a quick going over to burn off the spines. Usually the spines will flash off readily. You then put it on a rock or something to cool, then you either peel it or slice it open. Large cactus pads are often best utilized when you filet them much as you would a fish. Most of the plant food in the Sonora can be eaten raw. Some, like the all important staple food of mesquite beans, do need some preparation.

The mesquite is so important to human life in the desert that it was one of the few natural, wild things in the local environment that the Indians would consider private property.

There is a ton of wildlife in the Sonora also, including a species of deer, and there are a surprising number of lakes, rivers, and streams. There are a lot of rattlesnakes (11 species, IIRC, of which the Western Diamondback is the most common and the rare Mojave Green is the most deadly), and rattlesnakes are good eating, as are the quail and the javelina. The Sonoran Toad is one of the few truly toxic lifeforms in the desert. It's skin secretes a toxin that can sometimes kill a dog that tries to chew on it. They grow to about 7" long and are big enough that they eat mice as part of their diet.

Everything eats the tons and tons of rodents in the desert, but these are often best avoided. If you have to kill a rodent for food, use your steel tongs (like I said, they are extremely handy) and toss the critter onto a fire whole. The same can be said of eating mammilian predators that feed upon rodents.

Rodents in the US are notorious for carrying diseases like bubonic plague and hanta. In at least one case I know of, a rancher died of the plague after skinning an infected coyote which had probably eaten an infected rodent. In just the mouse population alone about 1 in every 9 mice in the US carries hanta, and the US has a varient of the Korean strain of hanta which is very deadly. For example, if you have to shelter in a spot where you know that lots of mice have been living, you had best do something to either find another spot of sterilize that spot.

Anyway, I digress. Went off on a tangent there. That is why I recommend a thin, 6" filet knife as an additional knife for use in the Sonoran Desert. The Finnish made Rapalas are common and plentiful over here.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
mrostov said:
Ontario's Old Hickory brand?...

Well, I’ve had my eye on some of their butchers knives for a while, and I bought a couple of their 12” machetes a few weeks ago (my turn to digress, now), as a comparison to the British Army Golok No2 (made by Ralph Martindale) that I bought through a Group Buy on the British Blades forums.

Convexing the blade, with hand tools, of the Golok is my first major knife modification project. Somewhat ambitious for a person with no engineering/metal working experience, but a great learning opportunity – and fun!

The Golok is a very different animal to the Ontario machete (by the way, the Golok is virtually impossible to buy here in the UK, despite it being made in the UK – quite a few can be found offered for sale from UK online retailers, but those retailers never have one in stock, nor can they seem to supply one – I’ve had one on back-order for around five months from a UK retailer, and had been trying to obtain one for around a year before the Group Buy came together).

The Golok is a heavy stiff knife (for heavy, woody vegetation, I’m guessing) and the Ontario is something like a big Mora, more suited to clearing light vegetation on a slightly overgrown trail perhaps (I doubt if it would be suitable to clear a portage in virgin country in somewhere like the Yukon [Hmm…I’m slipping back into fantasy mode again], where as the Golok might be more suited to that).

I ordered the machetes from the Brigade Quartermasters site, because I knew that the service to the UK was very efficient, but unfortunately they didn’t have the Ontario CT1 for sale, so I've had to make do with the lighter weight LC12. I’ll be trying to source a couple of the heavier bladed 12” machetes at sometime in the future (I’m a little burnt-out on sourcing machetes after the protracted efforts to source the Golok).

Anyway, the knives I previously mentioned weren’t Ontario, but J. Russell Green River, established 1834, and not 1800, as I previously mentioned (very similar to the Old Hickory range, as you may know). I did look for some Ontario Red River (?) knives after they were mentioned by the esteemed Old Jimbo, a while back, but drew a blank.

http://www.thefurtrapper.com/fur_trappers.htm (couple of Green Rivers illustrated on this page).

mrostov said:
...The Sonora, as harsh as it looks, is actually one of the world's most edible ecosystems...

The Sonora sounds like a staggeringly rich environment (and I’ve wanted to eat rattle snake meat ever since I read some of the Carlos Castaneda books over 20 years ago). Thanks for all that wonderful information, mrostov. Sounds like a great life you have going there!

EDIT: Correction – It was a Cold Steel Red River Knife not an Ontario Red River Knife, as I mention above, that Old Jimbo posted about.

Apologies to all for the ‘bum steer’.

Best regards,
Paul.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE