Fallkniven A-1

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
A short while back I acquired a Fallkniven A-1 in a trade with a friend for some various pieces of camping supplies. While it was a trade the knife came directly to me new in the box from Knives Ship Free dot com and I have to say the service was excellent. All questions were promptly answered and the knife came very quickly.

These shots are from the day I got it. Over all the knife is 11.125" (roughly 28.5 cm), the blade is 6.25" (16cm) long, 0.25" (6mm) thick, and 1.6" (3.4cm) wide at the widest point, and made of laminated VG10 Steel. It has a molded kraton handle with an extended tang. It came with an amazing edge.

IMG_7821.jpg

IMG_7822.jpg

IMG_7819.jpg

IMG_7818.jpg

A few days back I took it out on a photo shoot with me and played around a bit with it. I liked this shot.

IMG_7977.jpg

I found some hard seasoned Dogwood to test the edge with. The edge did wonderfully, but the coating seems to wear off fast.

IMG_7987.jpg

IMG_7988.jpg

IMG_7989.jpg

IMG_7991.jpg

Today between rains...we're having some violent thunder storms today...I took it out to test it out a little more with some seasoned Black Walnut. I did a little batoning and whittling.

IMG_8113.jpg

This piece is rather knotty and you can see how the coating is wearing off fairly quickly.

IMG_8114.jpg

But even driven through knots the only wear I see is in the coating, the blade itself shows no damage all all even though I was only striking about a half inch or so of the tip that was sticking out on the other side.

IMG_8116.jpg

I split off a few flat pieces that I could have used for hearth boards, cutting boards, fire bases, shingles, or "plates". On the last one I only split down to a very hard knot and then pried off the piece. The knife handled beautifully, and other than the coating is no worse for the wear.

IMG_8117.jpg

IMG_8122.jpg

IMG_8124.jpg

IMG_8125.jpg

The edge seems to be doing just fine so far.

IMG_8127.jpg

The sheath is a little different that what I am used to. It is molded Zytel with a webbing belt loop, and a webbing retention strap with a snap fastener.

IMG_8139.jpg

It has a "flap" molded into the side of the sheath that via a raised surface on the inside works to help hold the knife in place without the retention strap engaged and as a temporary holder for the knife when carried in a tip-up manor. It isn't strong enough to secure the knife in place in tip-up carry but will hold it in place plenty long enough to engage the retention strap...as long as you're not running or jumping at the same time.

IMG_8137.jpg

IMG_8138.jpg

IMG_8140.jpg

I'm thinking I can tighten this secondary retention system a bit with the use of some inner tube. Even if I get it really tight there is a good "thumb-push" on the sheath for drawing the knife.

IMG_8136.jpg

I do have one issue with the tang extension but that may be a personal thing. I'm not crazy about the slant.

IMG_8118.jpg

All in all I really like the knife and expect it to fill its intended role quite well. I like the ergonomics, edge grind, weight, and weight distribution a great deal. I think Fallkniven just made a new fan.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Nice review!
Have you given the Falky S1 forest knife for a run out?
It is one of my personal favs on the (rare ) occasions that I take
a knive out with me that is larger than 4"
Cheers.
Chris.

I did a little fire starting under very wet conditions today in my front yard during a break between storms. As you can see the wood is soaking wet because I broke one of the cardinal rules of fire starting just to prove a point about the value of fatwood under adverse conditions. I collected all of my fuel from the wet ground and from pools of water.

IMG_8174.jpg

The piece of bark I used for a base was also soaking wet after being out in the rain for days.

IMG_8175.jpg

I used Fatwood for tinder.

IMG_8176.jpg

I'm still working with a factory edge that is doing really well.

IMG_8179.jpg

The spine throws great sparks. There are a lot of marks in the coating but no damage at all to the knife itself.

IMG_8164.jpg

IMG_8165.jpg

This is the video I shot. Ignition happens at about 2min or so...the other 8 minutes is the fatwood catching the wet wood on fire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4xwpceZGBQ

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE