Falkniven F1 vs Woodlore Clone

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
Edge retention: fallkniven
Blade profile (subjective); fallkniven
Control with fine carving: Woodlore
Handle comfort: Woodlore
Prettiness: Woodlore.

Hope this helps!

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
thanks :D I like your prettiness category!!! There is a possibilty that I would just buy the blade- and do the handle myself- so I appreciate the thoughts on the blade most :)

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
I would put one of my woodlore clones up against a F1 any day! As a 'survival knife' (bomb and idiot proof) the F1 wins but as a woodsmans tool the woodie is a far more versatile tool.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Edge retention: fallkniven
Blade profile (subjective); fallkniven
Control with fine carving: Woodlore
Handle comfort: Woodlore
Prettiness: Woodlore.

Hope this helps!

Nicely put!
But the man said "Woodlore CLONE" - not all of those are as nicely made/pretty as the originals (some are even better) so I guess that depends on the clone :)
Also, if the blade is "home handled" the F1 could end up even prettier :D
As to the blade control...again it depends on the clone - I have done fine carving with my F1 that one of my Woody clones (with short grinds) just was not happy with.
I have some nice clones - I have used some poor clones - and I am not a big fan of the original!
I like my F1, but it aint ideal for everything, and I realy like some of my clones, but the versitility of the clone depends on just how much of a true clone it is!
Longer grinds/convex edge clones work better (for me) than the originals I have tried.

rawshak

Forager
Jan 11, 2009
Cornwall
I'm a huge fan of the F1 over the Woodlore clone. It's few shortcomings (carving etc.), are easily overcome with a bit of practice. No knife is ideal for everything, which is why the knife is such a diverse tool, but the F1 ticks an awful lot of bushcrafty type boxes for me, and the steel and edge retention are top notch. It's the knife I reach for nine times out of ten if I need an all-rounder.

Ph34r

Settler
Feb 2, 2010
Oxfordshire, England
I just got my F1 today, and in the wet weather, it has so far been great. The handle clings to your hand like a newborn baby, and it is almost as sharp as my wit. In terms of carving control though, i would have said a good woodlore clone could outperform. Keep in mind that the F1 is meant to be a survival knife, not a bushcraft knife - so is not designed to carve etc.

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
thanks for the replies so far gents they are much appreciated. How would things look if I threw a bernie garland bird and trout blade in the mix???? I must say I have just been on his site there was a slight bit of druel protruding from the corner of my mouth.

I would be using the knife for a lot of bushy tasks, battoning carving (not particularly detailed mind) gutting/prepping game etc for use in the uk not for long trips or anything too heavy.

rawshak

Forager
Jan 11, 2009
Cornwall
thanks for the replies so far gents they are much appreciated. How would things look if I threw a bernie garland bird and trout blade in the mix???? I must say I have just been on his site there was a slight bit of druel protruding from the corner of my mouth.

I would be using the knife for a lot of bushy tasks, battoning carving (not particularly detailed mind) gutting/prepping game etc for use in the uk not for long trips or anything too heavy.

Still the F1 for me, far superior blade.

rawshak

Forager
Jan 11, 2009
Cornwall
I have a couple of Woodlore clones, have used a couple of BG's, and I use an F1 on a daily basis at work as my knife of choice.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
What suits other folks may not suit you. If you can get to a member who has either and test them out, you'll know right away whats for you.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
*I* detest the F1. The standard handle is - in my opinion - very poorly designed, the blade is insanely thick, the convex grind as supplied is too obtuse and so on. To me its a very crude tool designed for heavy use / abuse in a survival situation. In axe terms its a maul not a forest axe.

Others like it and I have seen Jon Pickett (who I respect a great deal) do good work with one. I disliked it so much I auctioned mine off for charity as I couldn't bear to take money for it.

As in many things - its personal taste

Red

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
cheers BR- whats your preference for a knife for such tasks that I have described?

cheers

That'll be this beauty:

smitchell-020.jpg

smitchell-008.jpg

smitchell-011.jpg

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
:)

That's the one

Although I have two others I use frequently. The puukko that Shinken made me and my "Nessie" from JoJo.

I don't feel "under equipped" with any of those three

CIMG4145.jpg

DSCN0783.jpg

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE