Fake paypal mail

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Just like to remind folks that fake mails are still to the fore.
I received one today supposedly from paypal, it would be very easy to click on the links if you were busy checking your inbox.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I get them all the time...

Easy to tell the difference as the genuine ones are addressed to you personally within the email as opposed to 'Dear Customer' and the like :rolleyes:

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Remember also, as we keep telling our users, if you hover the mouse over a link in an email, or on a web site, you will normally get a 'speech bubble' or some other display of the actual address it is pointing to. If that doesn't tally with what is displayed on screen - ALARRRM!

We also keep telling them that if you aren't sure, then type in the URL for your bank, etc., directly, rather than clkcking on the link.

Geoff

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I get them all the time...

Easy to tell the difference as the genuine ones are addressed to you personally within the email as opposed to 'Dear Customer' and the like :rolleyes:

Aye, i called paypal just to make sure,i'm not very computer savvy.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Along the same vein- I have recently setup online banking with an account, during a little look at what goes in and comes out I found a Direct Debit setup by paypal to take out 8 pounds half yearly. I cannot remember why this was setup [under my understanding there are no charges of this type associated with paypal].

After a little digging I've learnt that paypal takes all it's transactions with you as a Direct Debit, but only a one off. There seemed to be a spate of these, or some sort of glitch [quite a while ago if the dates from the postings from websites/ forums are reliable], where some folks last order through e-bay was put through as a MONTHLY Direct Debit by paypal. So some unfortunate people who had ordered say 100 quid worth of stuff found themselves forking out 100 quid a month until they realised something was up - [pretty quickly if it was me and 100 quid a month]

I however have missed 8 pounds twice a year [the last withdraw from this DD was 01 aug] I need to check how many in the past have come out...

So I suppose it is good practice to really look through statements - I however have been a bit lax at this:(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE