F1 and the Eggen

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
British Red said:
Jon,

I think we need a ref. I'm happy to agree to Sean (even though he's biased and in the convex camp) unless BB is neutral in your eyes?

Red
Ref is a good idea and I have no probs with BB as ref......Sean as well if you like.... When is it going to be staged then...?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Jon, heres a thought - why not widen it out? Sean with a BRKT, throw in a Mora of course and maybe one or two others - a real challenge and a set of tests!

What do you say?

Red

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
British Red said:
Jon, heres a thought - why not widen it out? Sean with a BRKT, throw in a Mora of course and maybe one or two others - a real challenge and a set of tests!

What do you say?

Red
Whatever mate, I still say my f1 will come out tops overall...... ;)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well, you call it - 1 on 1 or a field of entrants?

Singteck to ref and a bottle of malt on the outcome (article for Tony in it too)

If you can do a day back end of May (when the PFK will be ready) we'll pencil it in!

Red

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
British Red said:
Well, you call it - 1 on 1 or a field of entrants?

Singteck to ref and a bottle of malt on the outcome (article for Tony in it too)

If you can do a day back end of May (when the PFK will be ready) we'll pencil it in!

Red
Well I would like to say a 1 on 1, but yes we could open it up if others want to join in the fun.....
I like the bottle of malt idea too......I will have to bring my hammock down...

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
British Red said:
Okay - sometime late May (cue the Clint Eastwood musical watch music)

Red
Late may should be fine, will check me diary, that gives me plenty of time to re profile my f1..... :joke: .....I think we should start a new thread too, sort of taken over this one...Sorry Lionheart.....

leon-1

lionheart said:
Im sure this has been discussed before, but im unsure whether to get the helle eggen or the fallkniven F1, the problem i have is i hate both the sheaths, i prefer the helle as a knife but am leaning to the F1 as the belt sheaths in the 'woodlore' style with the firesteel holders for these knives are widely availiable, does anyone out there know if i can get the same style sheath for the eggen, i think i saw one on here for sale whilst searching for the eggen for £25, this sheath was perfect and i fell in love, so if anyone can point me in the direction of one for around the same price i would be eternally grateful.

cheers

Tom

Tom, either knife will serve you well, Red has already made plain his dislike for the F1, well I have made a few and I don't really have any problem with the F1 as a user and I have been using one for quite a while now.

Johan's suggestion of try one out is a good idea, before the thread got hijacked, blade choice is very much a case of one man's meat is another man's poison so other people's opinions mean little. In the end you could feel comfortable and happy with a meat cleaver, if it works for you then fair play to you.

Quite a few of us have many different knives, I have blades made by Gene Ingram, Alan Blade and allsorts including Helle and yet I still rate the frosts clipper as one of the best Knives that I own.

Recently I had been using a knife by Dave Budd that I would class a a very good tool (Dave my sincerest apologies I will get the combo back to you ASP).

If you buy the Helle and don't like the sheath you could always add another string to your bow and make a new sheath yourself. If you buy the F1 and are not happy with the grind then re-profile it (it's hard work, but worth it), but obviously you will know better with knife in hand which you would prefer.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE