F-A-K- Realistic Carry

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
So I have plenty of First Aids items , too much in fact , and I tend to struggle with what gets included in the smallest kit to carry on what i would call a 'daily' basis , thats so say to carry for small trips out , casual 'safe' day hikes , dog walking etc etc not expedition or Car Emergency kit.

So what is the input of this community to what to carry?

I've thought in the past its important to carry items to cover the every day basic comforts and a few items to cover a serious life threatening event.

The struggle I find is to balance the kit so thats its small enough to pack and carry but effective enough for its size and weight constraints - I'm not intending to become paranoid enough to carry when just traveling to the shops and back! but a kit small enough to carry when dog walking in new rural areas.

Over to you guys , what would be the 1st Ten items you would want included ( included non-prescription meds ) in a small F-A-K??

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
1. Superglue
2. Rubbing alcohol
3. Sterile bandage
4. Bite and sting relieve (waspease is brilliant)
5. Piriton
6. A sling
7. Compression bandage
8. Cocodomol
9. Forceps
10. Plasters

I would also include the most important 11. Knowledge of how to use them. I studied medicine at uni and that's what I would carry as it can a dress most likely situations. People will claim that regular superglue is different to medical glue, it is, medical glue contains a dye called methelene blue to show where it is on skin and nothing more, it's all cyanoacrylate. I also carry sutures but if you don't know how to suture it's pointless. I'm not massive on carrying big kits day to day, obviously on larger outings I take one. As for painkillers and antihistamines carry whatever works for you, and remember that antihistamines are also useful for bites and stings. If you aren't comfortable with wound closure using glue then butterfly clips will do. But once you've seen severe bleeding or total exsanguination up close you realise how important closure and forceps can be!

EddieP

Forager
Nov 7, 2013
Liverpool
1. Superglue
2. Rubbing alcohol
3. Sterile bandage
4. Bite and sting relieve (waspease is brilliant)
5. Piriton
6. A sling
7. Compression bandage
8. Cocodomol
9. Forceps
10. Plasters

I would also include the most important 11. Knowledge of how to use them. I studied medicine at uni and that's what I would carry as it can a dress most likely situations. People will claim that regular superglue is different to medical glue, it is, medical glue contains a dye called methelene blue to show where it is on skin and nothing more, it's all cyanoacrylate. I also carry sutures but if you don't know how to suture it's pointless. I'm not massive on carrying big kits day to day, obviously on larger outings I take one. As for painkillers and antihistamines carry whatever works for you, and remember that antihistamines are also useful for bites and stings. If you aren't comfortable with wound closure using glue then butterfly clips will do. But once you've seen severe bleeding or total exsanguination up close you realise how important closure and forceps can be!

Do you carry forceps as artery clamps?

You say you studied medicine at uni, are you now a Dr or did you go a different direction after graduation?

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
As a multi use item in honesty. They will work well as blood vessel clamps assuming they lock but are also useful for removing gravel etc.
I am legally a doctor and was practicing in a hospital locally but moved into occupational health as I am busy writing my PhD thesis and the hours are much better

May I add that any cut deep enough to cause arterial bleeding is very unlikely but can happen. They're more for removing thorns and glass from dogs paws for me

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
It depends if this dog walk involves an axe.

I would not take any mesdication.

1 adhesive backed strip (plaster roll)
2 wound dressing pad
3 surgical spirit
4 Cotton wool
5 antiseptic cream
6 bandage and fasteners
7 gauze bandage
8 scissors

And that's all really

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
It all depends on what you are expecting to happen, your acceptable level of risk, and if you are willing to butcher what you are wearing if needed.

I carry the following in the small pocket on my packs belt:

- IDF Small Dressing
- Selection of plasters in a ziplock bag
- [thread=127274]Selection of meds in a 30ml tube[/thread]

That's it. Small stuff that's annoying, you can cover with the plasters, stuff that really needs a the bleeding stopped, that's what the IDF dressing is for. If I need a sling, I'll use my belt. Need to splint an ankle? Belt again, possibly my tshirt, or jacket. Etc...

Simple EDC carry.

J

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Here's my all rounder. I use this for a day hike or a weeks camping. Deals with small cuts, burns and general maladies. I figure if it's more serious than that a hospital trip is needed and trying to superglue myself back together is the wrong way to go :). However I do carry an IDF dressing if I take the axe with me.

1l Dry bag
Midge repel
20ml Sudocrem
Medium bandage
Whistle

Ziplock containing:
Cut-to-size sheets of plasters
Assorted plasters
Alcohol pads
Bister plaster
Surgical tape
Large adherent dressing.

Small nylon bag containing:
Paracetamol
Ibuprofen
Co-codamol
Diohorrea relief
Antacids
Lipsyl
Tick tweezers
Heliograph / Tick mirror
Safety pin
Rehydration Salts
Spare chlorine tablets

DSC_0397_zpsmdolahg4.jpg

All in 255g, but could do with some sunscreen adding for summer and more blister plasters.

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I've never been able to understand the reluctance of folk to carry a clean hanky as a matter of course; I always do and it's amazing how often it comes in really useful. Good quality and large in decent colours to be had on the 'bay for not much money.

Angry Pirate

Forager
Jul 24, 2014
Peak District
I've noticed no-one has mentioned gloves yet.
For me, my top two are:
Nitryl gloves
CPR face shield.

As said before, knowledge is key and I can improvise most stuff but if I encounter someone else, especially in urban or rta situations, then self protection is top of my list.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
For me, my top two are:
Nitryl gloves
CPR face shield.

As said before, knowledge is key and I can improvise most stuff but if I encounter someone else, especially in urban or rta situations, then self protection is top of my list.

Valid Point.

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
My day hikes usually involve the use of a saw, axe or knife so I tend to keep plasters, sterile wipes and a couple of decent dressings in my kit. A blister pack of pain killers (ibruprofen, paracetamol and aspirin) just for personal use, a tube of bite and sting relief, a small pair of medical shears in case I needs cut through clothing and a CAT (combat application tourniquet) which I hope never to needy use.
It may sound daft but the biggest tip I can think of is to be sure you know how and when to use everything in your kit (formal first aid training is great here).
Also make sure you have a mobile phone handy to call for help if you or others need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
My "Walking the dog kit" consists of...

Dog.
Lead (optional, depending on where the walk is).
Poo bags (optional, depending on where the walk is).

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
For me, my top two are:
Nitryl gloves
CPR face shield.

Fair point, but I'd rather have a hi-vis vest, goggles and particle mask in an RTC/urban scenario.

Not to mention knee pads, rain gear, leather gloves, etc.

For an every day carry pocket pack, you've got to draw the line somewhere and we're drifting from self-help to providing first response trauma care in major incidents?

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Nothing beats having appropriate first aid training, but better than nothing might be the St.John Ambulance or British Red Cross phone app.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE