Excuse My Question, If it's been asked before

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 22, 2009
West Glamorgan
Would someone kindly let me know out of the following knives,
Frosts Mora 840MG Clipper High Carbon
Frosts Mora 860MG Clipper Stainless steel
which one has best blade and why. Cheers

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
you may have posted in the wrong section, im sure the mods will move it to kit/edged tools for you. if you are not sure why not get both, you can never have enough good sharps

good luck in you quest for a good bush knife

Col....

p.s carbon will hold a better edge but will rust stainless wont but i dont think the edge is as good (all my knives are carbon)

SteveW

Forager
Dec 10, 2006
Launceston,Cornwall
It depends what you want to do with the knife. If you are the kind of person who is a bit anal about knives, keep them clean when used and afterwards. If you like the blade to develop a patina through use and are keen to have a knife that is easy to sharpen and to keep sharp then get a carbon steel blade.

If you are the kind of person who wants to use the knife then pop it back in the sheath without much fuss, if you spend a lot of time near salt water or don't mind the fact that it may be a little harder to sharpen (that will depend on skill more than anything), get stainless. if you can afford it get both and keep the stainless for the really dirty jobs at the beach :)

leon-1

coln18 pretty much summed it up to be honest.

Stainless can be more difficult to sharpen than high carbon, this is a generalisation though as it's not always the case.

High carbon will corrode if not treated properly whereas stainless is a lot more resilient to corrosion.

The elements that are added to stainless steels can make them able to withstand greater impact at higher rockwell hardnesses.

The carbon content of a high carbon blade means that it can be used as an improvised strike a light, whereas a stainless knife could not be used for this.

The arguments for and against can be drawn out for a long time, but in the end it's what you actually prefer that matters.

Have you ever tried either one???

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
I have both and frankly like the stainless better. I always have a diamond sharpener in my pocket so that bit of maintenance is a breeze. Where i live the weather is hot and humid so I sweat when i hike or sometimes just standing up. The sweat makes a carbon blade rust quicker than salt water.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Carbon if you care about your knife - stainless if you are careless with your knife.....that is what I was taught....but I prefer stainless if I am around water - especially salt water - as then I do not have to care too much:)
Generally I find that a carbon blade has more "soul" or "character" and is "alive" wheras stainless blades are purely "functional"...
Cor - that sounds pretentious!
However - most of my knives are carbon with wod handles (mainly un-stabilized) and with hand made sheaths.
I am not a fan of stainless steel blades, plastic (including Micarta) or plasticised wood handles, plastic sheaths - though they are more "advanced and durable" than my choice...they just feel "dead" to me - no matter how good a tool they make.... I also like Ventile, canvas, wool and leather gear more than synthetics:)
But then I have been told I am wierd in many other ways as well.....

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
The carbon content of a high carbon blade means that it can be used as an improvised strike a light, whereas a stainless knife could not be used for this.

Do you mean spark up a ferro rod? If so then any steel will do it. Look at a fallkniven F1 stainless and one of the best for sparking up a ferro. It has more to do with a sharp edge scraping shavings off than anything else. You can do it with glass.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
A "strike a light" is generally haeld to refer to a carbon steel item for sriking on flint as in Iron Age to Mountainman type times :)
Ferro rods are not the same at all :) modern easy stuff :D

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Well,

Around the garden or at home and nearby bush its the Viking carbon that I use because I like its sharpness and the ease of stropping it back to scary sharp. I haven't used a stone for years, just the strop after use.

But my bush is the jungle so its a s/s clipper for trips as I do not want to spend time sharpening the blade while out there or having carbon steel rust

markheolddu

Settler
Sep 10, 2006
Llanelli
I could be wrong here are the grinds on those 2 blade different? I have both but bought at different times and the grind on the carbon one is slightly concave where the stainless one is flat to convex. The carbon is easier to sharpen in my opinion.
Shoot me down here if I am wrong.:22:

Mark

leon-1

Apologies for my misunderstanding:)

No problems, I am just very used to calling them a strike a light, I should have said something along the lines of "The carbon one can be used with a piece of flint in the role of a traditional flint and steel whereas the stainless cannot".

I have been using the term for however long and I tend to forget that not everyone is familiar with the term.

samthedog

Jun 12, 2009
Norway
I probably can't add much more to what people here have written but I will try.... :)

If you live in a humid environment or will be using the knife to prepare foods high in salt or even meat, then maybe the stainless will suit you better, if you are a little lax with maintenance. As far as one staying sharper than the other, I have used both for work and honestly have not found much difference. The stainless will sharpen just as easily as the carbon steel if you use a diamond stone/hone and strop.

As has been said before, they are cheap as chips so buy both and have a play. You need to break some eggs to make a mora omelette!!

Paul.

Nov 22, 2009
West Glamorgan
Thanks to everyone for their input, I have just ordered a Frosts Mora 860MG Clipper Stainless steel for the reasons above from Camelot Outdoor, it was £ 8.50 with free p+p. Cheers

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE