Ex Mil Clothing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Grez said:
Not sure on the waterproof jacket though. Any suggestions?

Grez..

Hi mate
i've just bought a green Peter storm waterproof from millets for thirty quid.
It's one of those generic goretex materials and i wore it at the weekend and it with stood a heavy downpour so its passed my test.(thirty quids not bad for a half decent waterproof,not exactly Mt Everest spec but not bad).

Jjv110

Forager
May 22, 2005
Jersey C.I.
Hi,

Just adding my bit to the conversation. I think, after having worn both, that the SAS windproof smock is far superior to the M65. It allows more freedom of movement, is lighter more windproof and has better pockets. It has a decent hood with rear drawcord so that you can actually see when you turn your head. (this maybe only on the arctic model). They dry out extremely quickly and are nice and quiet. in my opion you can't beat them,military wise. If you don't want DPM, then you can get replica versions from SASS which are of virtually the same quality. They are 100% cotton, so breathable too.

The Norwegians are excellent(the army shirts that is).

Lightweights/denims are good but are not 100% cotton, so you have to be careful when sitting around a fire. The leg pocket is only good for a small map or I found leg movement was restricted. I also found that they weren't baggy enough to be totally comfortable. They are very hard wearing though. For the money it will be difficult to find better. I would go for combat trousers which are cotton. I can't remember the model but the ones before the ripstop seemed to be okay.

By the way, there is a place in America that do BDUs for $24.00. I'll find out. They are genuine and arrive in a week. I suppose Silverman's for the SAS smock.
As for waterproofs, a pocho is okay but a bit "in the way" when you need to work. an army gore-tex is better. Yes, expensive but at least it will protect you and you won't get drenched in sweat. I'd get a basha for a shelter.

Julian.

Grez

Forager
Apr 16, 2005
-
leon-1 said:
If you get an M65 get a poncho to go over it. You get the added bonus of the pocho keeping the rest of your kit dry as well :D

Cheers for all the advice guys. I think I have finally settled on the M65 and poncho combination. Now all I have left to do is decide on black or olive green!! :D

OhCanada

Forager
Feb 26, 2005
Eastern Canada
One of the differences between the Europe and North America is the equipment.

Over here it is all lightweight fleece and nylon. Even our military have traded wool in for fleece, not sure why it hasn't caught on with UK bushcrafters. The army here still uses 65/35 Poly/Cotton because it doesn't make noise as much as nylon and they have gone and put a waterproof/breathable liner in uniform too.

If you want military issue (and can't get military fleece) you would be better going with light military wool pants. I have British DPM pants and jacket and they are both heavy, the pants needlessly so. I used my M65 with liner for a long time and it is a pretty nice jacket. Good work jacket if you are putting up wood for the cabin.

Over all I recommend nylon pants and nylon or polyester shirts. My gortex jackets also double as rain and wind wear adding to my warmth without adding weight. Light weight and quick to dry. You don't need expensive brand name stuff either as I get a lot of nylon gear used at thrift shops. If melting is a concern, carry a light 65/35 or wool jacket.

I do like you Brits for keeping bushcraft alive. Over here it has all gone "leave no trace and lightweight "ie. take nothing", or overweight militia let's play Rambo style. Nice to see less flash and more skills.

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
"Soldier 2000" is the invention of a 3rd party clothing manufacturer. It is not issue kit. This in itself is not a problem, the quality is though. It's dire.
It's really sneaky in that it has NSN labels and everything but even a cusrsory examination will reveal it to be pants. As a pointer, if you're being offered UK "mil surplus" in outsizes (40"+ waist trousers and jackets of up to 50" chest) it's almost certainly from this range of clothing. Avoid.

Jjv110

Forager
May 22, 2005
Jersey C.I.
OhCanada,

Do you not find that nylon makes you sweat and it doesn't have much warmth property? I always worry about nylon when near a fire.

Julian.

maximus otter

Sep 14, 2003
UK
I'm in the market for a pair of OD lightweight trousers. How do the British army surplus ones size up? Do they have an adjustment strap?

I wear a 34" in Levi 501s.

maximus otter

OhCanada

Forager
Feb 26, 2005
Eastern Canada
Sweating in nylon? Not being warm in nylon?

If these two things happen you are doing it wrong. Good nylon is for pants, and coats. Polyester is what fleece it, but it is also used for many shirts and some pants. This gear has kept many hikers warm and dry. Pants, shirt, sweater, and wind/rain coat is good for spring and summer in many areas. For winter you want thermal underwear and both fleece pants and sweaters covered by wind/rain pants and jacket. You must layer properly as it is possable to sweat even in the winter, and yes, even in wool clothes. Dead men wear cotton when it is cold and wet outside :confused:

Warmth in any fabric depends a lot on layers and wind protection. Clothes do not make you warm. Eating food and burning calories creates heat. Clothing only surrounds you with air pockets to keep your radiated heat in; but on a windy day without wind protection the wind can blow away your heat.

I use wool/nylon mix for socks and sometimes hats. And yes I sometimes wear wool clothes for the charm (at $3 I am addicted to US Army 1951 pattern wool shirts, Canadian Army wool sweaters, styled after your British jumpers, are often around $5)

Wool is ok if you have a car and are just heading to the woods for a day...if you are going hiking for a week or so it gets a tad heavy to carry on your back and hard to dry (compared to nylon). Sparks from flames? Use a cotton jacket or wool shirt if you must and use only hardwoods. I do have an OD 1951 para-parka I love wear from time to time. It is either cotton or a mix, but very windproof.

Grez

Forager
Apr 16, 2005
-
Well I am now the proud owner of a new M65 copy. Jacket is a bit long in the arms so now I don’t even need gloves…. :D

Thanks again for all the advice.

Grez..

Grez

Forager
Apr 16, 2005
-
Hi All,

Well after getting my M65 jacket I’m now thinking it is to big on the sleeves.

The label says that its for up to 128cm chest size. Does anyone know if that is the large or x-large? I have also checked with the shop I bought it from and they also say it is a large.

Cheers

Grez..

Grez

Forager
Apr 16, 2005
-
Cheers leon thanks for the link.

I think your right, however they are insisting that it is a large.

Grez..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE