Evolution of a Bushknife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Askdamice

Tenderfoot
Jun 20, 2006
Windsor Ontario Canada
I would like to share with you the evolution of my "Bushknife".

The descision to make my own Bushknife started out as a few drawings. I wanted it to be a little beafy but not too clunky. Eventually, I cut out a blank to get the feel for the knife...

newleafknife.jpg

Unhappy with the flow of the knife I decided to blend the lines in and make it more organic. It was at this point that I made the descision to go with a cord wrapped handle. This was going to be a survival knife and I wanted every component to have multiple uses. It was going to be my carver, chopper, prybar, digger, thrower and striker for traditional "flint and steel".

Leafblade.jpg

Leafblade2.jpg

My first intention was to harden the spine of the knife for use with flint and steel... but because it needed to te strong and flexible I had to change my design and incorporate the striker into the butt of the handle. This way I could fully draw back the hardness on the spine to make it felxible and tough as nails. The cord wrap was slipping after heavy use and a few throws and since glueing would render the cord useless for survival scenarios... It was back to the drawing board....

bushknife.jpg

I made a handle channel for the wrap to seat itself and get locked into position. I also included a palm swell toward the front of the handle to improve grip. The ends of the cord would be fed through the holes and melted in place. With the help of Master Bladesmith and new found friend, Wally Hayes, I forged the knife and began what I hope to be the final design for the Buskknife..... we'll see.

Bushknife-1.jpg

Bushknife2.jpg

IMG_0159.jpg

IMG_0158.jpg

IMG_0157.jpg

Here are some pics of the sheath I made for the knife... After lots of measuring, cutting, dyeing, glueing, sewing and riveting... I totally SCREWED IT UP when I applied the hot wax dip ... Yes.... I had the mixture WAY to hot and the sheath shriveled up like a raisin ... You learn from your mistakes... That was the first time that ever happened to me.... snif, snif.

Bushknifesheath2.jpg

Bushknifesheath.jpg

So here I am now... knife heat treated and ready for finish grinding... NEW improved sheath made (totally riveted) including a successful hot dip... whew...

BKandSheath1.jpg

BKandSheath2.jpg

Here is a pic with the handle wrapped... the residue in between the windings is beeswax... I soaked the handle in melted beeswax to improve grip in wet conditions and it helps keep your hand from chaffing during heavy use. I put it through some tests yesterday... carving, chopping, splitting, scraping, prying, and flint and steel firestarting.... I like it.
Rick

finishedbushknife1.jpg

Jacko

Life Member
Aug 3, 2004
SHROPSHIRE
Great to see the story behind the knife and how you adapted it. A thing of beauty!!
Also, what type of axe is in the background, on the workbench? It looks like a type of tomahawk? Is there any chance of more details/pics?
Very envious on both counts!!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Interesting knife! Really like the blade shape a lot - not a huge fan of cord wraps personally so I'd have that off in a blink and some nice desert ironwood on there but beyond that - like it a lot - what I'd change is just taste - always nice to see other peoples designs (and great to see someone else who takes a personal approach to knife design)

Red

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
The only problem I can see is can you remove the paracord after melting the ends in place? I would have just tied them off with a small lanyard knot, but apart from that it looks great. You haven't abandoned the first one have you? It would look great with some nice wooden scales and a brass butt plate!

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
Spamel, you could cut the string at the ends with your knife lol. Actually a good point, I'd guess heat it might be a way.

Askdamice

Tenderfoot
Jun 20, 2006
Windsor Ontario Canada
I think I've tested every aspect of this knife... I had a harder time getting the cord off when it was knotted than when it was melted. A good, strong, sharpened stick pushed under the last winding can pop it through easily enough. I also used my flint during another test... and even resorted to biting and pulling with my fingers once.... lol... I sometimes have alot of time on my hands. :)

Rick

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE