Everyday ice spikes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Various companies make a type of crampon like thing you can fit to your normal shoes for when it's a bit icy, and you want to be able to walk across the car park, but don't need the full on crampon setup. But given those on the market, can anyone recommend any of these? Which ones to avoid?

Am after something that will allow me to walk about on the uncleared snowy/icy pavements without major risk of falling?

Thanks

J

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I had a look at the Yaktrax in blacks recently. My reservation was that being that they are not actually spikes, how much traction would you get on ice with them? They mention snow more than ice in their blurb.

Has anyone direct experience of these units?

thanks

J

Chrisj

Nomad
Oct 14, 2009
Gwynedd
We have a set of the rubber ones each and they're really effective. In fact our local post people are issued with them.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I had a look at the Yaktrax in blacks recently. My reservation was that being that they are not actually spikes, how much traction would you get on ice with them? They mention snow more than ice in their blurb.

Has anyone direct experience of these units?

thanks

J

I'm a spanner and wrote the wrong model J, many apologies. :eek: I have never liked the look of the coils on the Pro's either, but have never actually used them.

I've done many miles in my Kahtoola microspikes though; running, walking and arctic use hauling a heavy load and they have been great. The other 2 I mentioned are very similar designs will work just as well for your use.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE