Adventuring with children

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
I recently became an (older!) parent. Not wanting to give up adventuring, I thought it would be useful to share tips and kit folk have found useful when taking their kids on trips. It may not be possible to do quite the light-weight, carry less by knowing more trips we could do pre-baby, but there are some really useful bits of kit and information out there that helped in some ways.

My little one is now 10 months old and has been camping three times, canal boating, on foreign trips to France and Portugal and various day trips. Here's some of the stuff we have found useful so far, please add anything you've found useful and approximate age of child for which it's relevant to this thread.

For any child on formula milk, we have found JosephJoseph folding kitchen scales a brilliant (and compact) way to measure the correct amount of water given that there are very few flat surfaces to put bottles when camping. (Thanks to C_Claycomb, who gave these to us as a house warming present a few years ago!)

Again, for children on formula milk: Nalgene bottles can hold boiling water without melting. We would fill the bottles with boiling water (so we knew the water and the bottles were both sterile) and use it to make up milk during the day. Please note that there is still a risk with the actual milk powder not being sterile, so be careful about accidentally putting dirty hands into the milk powder when scooping it out and that sort of thing. The official line on this is to only make up milk with boiling water so that it sterilises the powder, but we ignored that and just used common sense and care - it's your call.

Another one for formula milk (boy did I wish breast feeding had worked out!): Milton is a great way to sterilise bottles when camping. Take a plastic bucket and use a permanent marker to mark the level of water you will be using (I think it was 5l). That way, you only have to measure the water once, at home, then you can use the mark on your bucket while camping. At the bushmoot, I changed the water each day, but if water is in short supply (as it was on a 10 day camp we did later on) then you can just throw another milton tablet into the same water each day. A cloth over the top of the bucket will reduce the number of insects that get into the water.

If you're taking some kind of bowl for washing up, consider using it as a bath for a small baby as well.

Slings. There are loads on the market, and they are a great light-weight way of carrying a baby. Now our little one is on our backs, I have found a baby hawk carrier really useful.

When flying, it helps small babies to be sucking on a bottle of milk on take off and landing so their ears can cope with the pressure changes.

Most flights these days allow you to carry a couple of items such as pram and car seat as extras in addition to your normal allocation of luggage, it's worth checking!

And that's about it from me so far. Looking forward to ideas from you guys for when our nipper gets a bit older :)

Last edited:

Fae Eyes

Mar 2, 2006
Thaxted
Just contemplating first moot with just me and three year old (Daddy can't get time off). Kit for easy use with lo would be useful to know about. I have a connecta preschool carrier for when small legs finally get tired. Can't do hooch in and hammock as I used to do on my own.

Wondering what set up folk use for shelter? Lo generally sleeps in with me or close to me, so something easy and communal. I have a massive Bell which seems like over kill, but would be big enough obviously.

Any other tips for camping with small ones welcome.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
A 2 man tent with a good sized porch would seem a sensible choice Fae.

My eldest was a bit older when I first took her away. Honestly loads of help will come your way at the Moot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
When I was a kid, we had a 9' x 12' Woods canvas tent. There was a pole up the middle, inside.
I cannot recall how many family camping & fishing trips we did with that tent. It got used , hard.

So, I did the very same with my little family. Except my 'modern' Woods tent had an external frame.
For some reason, my 2 kids were very leary of sleeping in a tent. Almost afraid of the whole adventure.

You can't have a big enough tent. Sheltered space outside the door is just as important.
Children live in houses. There's no wind inside a house. Switching to a tent is a huge leap of faith for little guys.

Hunting? Forget it. How far can you go with a 3-year old carrrying a glass of milk?

I would do it all over again in an instant.

Fae Eyes

Mar 2, 2006
Thaxted
When I was a kid, we had a 9' x 12' Woods canvas tent. There was a pole up the middle, inside.
I cannot recall how many family camping & fishing trips we did with that tent. It got used , hard.

So, I did the very same with my little family. Except my 'modern' Woods tent had an external frame.
For some reason, my 2 kids were very leary of sleeping in a tent. Almost afraid of the whole adventure.

You can't have a big enough tent. Sheltered space outside the door is just as important.
Children live in houses. There's no wind inside a house. Switching to a tent is a huge leap of faith for little guys.

Hunting? Forget it. How far can you go with a 3-year old carrrying a glass of milk?

I would do it all over again in an instant.
He'll sleep anywhere as long as I'm there with him to be kicked in the night. I'm more worried about the long car journey than the tent, although given he's capable of filling a super king size, I should probably err towards glamp rather than roughing it :p Maybe I'll bring the bell and let him "help" putting it up :)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Any nappy tips? We've got a baby due soon and are looking into reusable nappy systems at the moment. They look great for daily use at home but we'd only have enough of a supply for a few days away without washing them.

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
Any nappy tips? We've got a baby due soon and are looking into reusable nappy systems at the moment. They look great for daily use at home but we'd only have enough of a supply for a few days away without washing them.

I'll assume that a "nappy" is a diaper ;).
Clean them out and wash them by hand? Though i wouldn't take a kid who needs a diaper out "adventuring", not even just camping in the wild. There'll be plenty of time when they can actually walk. Your hobby can wait a bit. It's one of the choices you make when having kids imo.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Lots of people here use the convenience of disposable diapers.
How they dispose of them is anything but decorum.
We call them "ditch rabbits."

Waited until they at least used a "potty chair" and did a lot of glamping, chair & pot included.
Not inconvenient.

Fae Eyes

Mar 2, 2006
Thaxted
I can let you have some reusable info, but to be honest way too much hassle for camping. They don't last as long if you have a heavy wetter and you'd really need a washing machine to make sure they didn't get smelly and ruined on a trip. G nappies do eco disposable inserts as well as cloth for their reusable outers, so you could use those.

Fae Eyes

Mar 2, 2006
Thaxted
As to using disposables, be prepared to take them away with you. Leave no trace etc. and not all camp sites will be happy for you to bin them on site.

Fae Eyes

Mar 2, 2006
Thaxted
I can let you have some reusable info, but to be honest way too much hassle for camping. They don't last as long if you have a heavy wetter and you'd really need a washing machine to make sure they didn't get smelly and ruined on a trip. G nappies do eco disposable inserts as well as cloth for their reusable outers, so you could use those.

Ps the best birth to potty I found and imo, the only really leak proof one was bum genius free times and elementals. All in ones, so no annoying stuffing of pockets and after trying 20 odd different pockets, fitted and sectioned nappies, they were the only ones we could get on with. All babies are different though, so worth trying from a nappy library before you buy.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Don't leave a disposable nappy anywhere outside. We wildcamped up a hill (didn't want to drive drunk after a party in a remote pub) and on the way down in the morning after a wet night spotted the remains of a nappy and various food tins right next to a rising stream. We packed them out. My mate had a bin.bag strapped to the outside of the rucksack with a sodden nappy inside. The gel material that absorbs wee had swollen so much it had spilt out of the nappy. What a mess! Glad we didn't see the ppl who left them.behind. Glad my mate carried it out too. Dribbled all down his rucksack!

richy3333

Jan 23, 2017
Far north Scoootland
From the moment our twins could walk they've been out with us on the Croft. They're involved in all the jobs from collecting eggs to feeding the sheep. One funny thing was when we saw my boy at around two years old with his arms around a sheep looking as though he wanted to wrestle it to the ground and the sheep non-plus walking off and dragging him along. It was all perfectly safe but so funny. This summer we've started to build a shelter together so they can get the idea of spending time in it and eventually we'll all camp out together.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I've waited till mine are old and strong enough to carry some of their stuff themselves, last weekend walked along the local river [can apparently go from source to sea, 60 odd miles] we did about 7 miles then camped with hammocks and tarps then walked back the next day - plenty of rest stops, skimming stones etc..

Previously have car camped without any walking at local spots, only one nighters over a weekend.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
The book "Cradle to Canoe: Camping and Canoeing with Children" by Kraiter & Kraiter is really good. Long hikes are a problem, the one carrying toddlers can't carry much else, so others need to compensate. Canoes were ideal I found: IIRC mine was about a year old the first time, but there is no reason to wait that long. Fixed camps are also easy.

For inspirational photos (and text) look at "
North: Adventures in the Frozen Wild" by Vanier: they horsepacked with their toddler, wintered in a long cabin they built, and then dog-sledded out in the winter.

I found that reusable nappies worked well, at least in fixed camps: the pee ones could be thoroughly rinsed and hung out to dry.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
As bad or worse than toilet paper near streams. One spot popular for wildcamping, outwards bounds groups has a few streams feeding the tarn to draw water from. On.a few stays up there I've seen toilet paper in and around all of them.

Fae Eyes

Mar 2, 2006
Thaxted
The book "Cradle to Canoe: Camping and Canoeing with Children" by Kraiter & Kraiter is really good. Long hikes are a problem, the one carrying toddlers can't carry much else, so others need to compensate. Canoes were ideal I found: IIRC mine was about a year old the first time, but there is no reason to wait that long. Fixed camps are also easy.

For inspirational photos (and text) look at "
North: Adventures in the Frozen Wild" by Vanier: they horsepacked with their toddler, wintered in a long cabin they built, and then dog-sledded out in the winter.

I found that reusable nappies worked well, at least in fixed camps: the pee ones could be thoroughly rinsed and hung out to dry.
We used to use reusable, but he's 3 now and they leak too much. Fixed camp at Bushmoot was fine as I just made sure the disposables were bagged up and in the skip, but anything more "wild" will have to wait until he's older.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE