Evernew DX stand/stove with Etapower 1-litre pot?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Oarsnpaddle

Forager
May 24, 2010
Greater Copenhagen
I've asked the same question as follows on sotp, only realising afterwards it might be a better idea to ask here, as it's one of those ultralight thingies.

Anyway, my question is, if anyone have any experience, thoughts and/or comments on using the Evernew DX stand with or without the alco burner in combination with an Etapower 1L pot?

The reason I am considering the Etapower pot, rather than a flat bottomed titanium thingy, is because I am amazed at how fast my 2.9 litre Etapower pot can boil water. It's ridiculously fast.

But here's the catch: the 1-litre pot is quite narrow/tall in comparison, but whether this translates into less efficiency I have no idea.
The other thing is that apparently, the Etapower 1litre is 80mm in diameter between the fins, but the top of the Evernew DX stand is 80.29mm in diameter.

I am buying the DX stand and alco burner no matter what, but I'm not sure if the etapower pot will be an idea. I already have two msr titan pots which are more than a decade old (most of the time they have been moved from storage to storage), and I'm thinking that a tall, rather than wide pot might be worth trying.

Any ideas, thoughts and comments appreciated.

Last edited:

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
Unless someone else comes along with a definitive answer, as you are getting it regardless, and have a selection of pots, why not try them all out and see which works best?

I know I'd have fun spending an hour or two in the garden making brews all in the name of science of course :)

Oarsnpaddle

Forager
May 24, 2010
Greater Copenhagen
I'm getting the stand/alco burner regardless, but I'm in doubt which pot would be best to buy at the same, and if the Etapower 1L pot would work (I don't have the 1L - only Etapower pot I have is a 2.9 Ltr-one.). I don't want to be wasting money on something not useful, then that money would have been better spend buying beers, lol.

It would be nice if someone had tried that particular combination. One of the reasons I want a semi slim and tall pot is so I can have both my MSR cup and burner/stand in it, something that is not possible in the pots I have, unless we count the 2.9 litre etapower.

P.S. I'm in Denmark and I can't for the life of me find anywhere that has the 1 ltr etapower pot in stock. Well, I can find a webshop, but not in any physical shop. If I could, I'd buy the burner/stand and then go into a shop here and try it out, but as that's not possible, I'm hoping to buy the lot from backpackinglight.co.uk and it's cheaper to buy the "right" stuff from the start, rather than buy something that isn't quite right, and then not only have to buy something else, but pay the associated shipping with an extra shipment. I mean, I can't even return a wrong purchase, as the only way to properly test something like that is to boil some water.

But no matter what, rest assured I will try every pot I have on the thing when I get it. :)

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I have a 1 litre Etapower pot. My original plan was to use it over a standard Trangia bnr in a Honey stove, but that set up proved to be hardly any better than a Tran27 setup.

1LEtaHoney.jpg

Next I tried the Etapot over an Optimus Crux and that was very fast indeed - a pint boiling furiously in around 2 minutes, but it was a bit unstable and had to be watched constantly.

EtaCrux.jpg

I now regularly use the Etapot over a Svea (Optimus) 123 petrol stove and it is a good setup with which I am very pleased I have replaced the all-but-useless Svea alu cup with a GSI stainless mug and have a small plastic bowl which fits over that.

Eta123_b.jpg

Stove, mug & bowl all fit snugly inside the Etapot

Eta123cookset.jpg

Last edited:

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
I'm getting the stand/alco burner regardless, but I'm in doubt which pot would be best to buy at the same, and if the Etapower 1L pot would work (I don't have the 1L - only Etapower pot I have is a 2.9 Ltr-one.). I don't want to be wasting money on something not useful, then that money would have been better spend buying beers, lol.

Sorry that will teach me to read posts properly before commenting :) but do understand about not wanting to waste your money on a pot that might not work!

Oarsnpaddle

Forager
May 24, 2010
Greater Copenhagen
Nice, thank you!

I do have an Optimus Nova+, and a "old" primus titanium gas stove, and I really like the Svea, but I'm hypersensitive to the petrol fumes (among many other things), so the Svea is out the window.

I wonder if the honey stove/trangia didn't work properly because it was too closed in? Perhaps too little oxygen? It looks like very little air can get in?

I'm glad to hear that the fins works even in such a small diameter pot.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I wonder if the honey stove/trangia didn't work properly because it was too closed in? Perhaps too little oxygen? It looks like very little air can get in?

The Tran bnr seemed to burn ok in the Honey stove and whatever stove is under the Etapot, very little heat escapes up the sides. The fins seem to keep it all in.

EtaHoney2.jpg

I had other issues with the Honey stove, as it happens, and sold it on shortly afterwards.

Last edited:

Oarsnpaddle

Forager
May 24, 2010
Greater Copenhagen
I guess this settles it somehow, assuming it will fit on or around the DX stand. I have fired an email away to backpackinglight (UK) to ask if and how the etapower pot will sit or fit the DX.

I'm on the verge of just ordering the lot and chance it, but as that also entails emails and weighing of the gear (for shipping rates), I figured it would be best to ask first both here and them.

I wonder if all fails, if it's possible to figure something out with some thin tent pegs, or perhaps file the fins so that the bottom diameter is slightly enlarged. Hmm, tough call, lol.

Dormouse

Tenderfoot
Jul 15, 2010
UK
I understand the folks at backpackinglight are very helpful - I'm sure they'd be happy to try out the combination for you.

Oarsnpaddle

Forager
May 24, 2010
Greater Copenhagen
And ... I just ordered the stuff, including the Etapower 1L! I thought about it, and figured I could grind some of the material off of the fins. Rose from Backpackinglight estimates that around a millimeter has to be ground (grinded?) away, although she warns that the fins will soot. Good point, but I thinks it's worth a little handywork to make it work - even if I have to clean the fins from time to time.

Oarsnpaddle

Forager
May 24, 2010
Greater Copenhagen
I've received, ground the inner diameter bigger with a cylindrical "stone-on-a-stick" in my power drill, only to find I still couldn't get a clean enough angle where the heat exchanger meets the pot.
My solution? Well, I took out my knife and cut off the rounded bit in the corner. It was much easier than I thought.

I scavenged the titanium handles from the 1L MSR pot just visible to the left. As the MSR pot was much bigger in diameter I had to bend the handles quite a bit more, but this is what it looks like (very similar to the Svea in the looks department, methinks!):

L1050908.jpg

L1050917.jpg

Edit: I forgot a picture of it with the handles closed, so it's possible to see that they're a bit longer:

L1050921.jpg

Last edited:

Oarsnpaddle

Forager
May 24, 2010
Greater Copenhagen
LOL, although I did boil some water, to "test" it out, I didn't measure the amount of water, nor timed it. I will do that one of these days. But I can say this: Even if it is slower with the spiritburner, than if I used a pressured stove such as my Nova+ with paraffin, it's not slow. But of course it can't boil a litre in two minutes flat.

I will do a test tomorrow (I have a lot of sewing to do today) to get a somewhat useable number. But I'm amazed at how little of the flames /heat goes past the fins. Most of the heat is transferred to the alu-pot, and to the water by extension.
My guess so far would be under four minutes for a half a litre with a cold pot and using the spiritburner in the stand.

Last edited:

Oarsnpaddle

Forager
May 24, 2010
Greater Copenhagen
I forgot, my old MSR cup fits on the three small prongs inside the top cylinder, and it is possible to boil water in it placing it there. Of course, the short handles of the cup gets really warm by doing that, but a glove, piece of suede or felt or even a pot grabber will make that useful too - boiling water for coffee directly in my coffee cup I think will be useful.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE