Event Fabric

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Scally

C.E.S.L Notts explorers
Oct 10, 2004
uk but want to emigrate to NZ
My wife wants to buy a new jacket so she has been searching for a new goretex jacket But there is a relative new fabric on the streets EVENT humm Lowe alpine and crag hoppers have taken it on board any one know anything about this?
its supposed to be more breathable than XCR ?

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Good question.

Basically, eVENT is a PTFE (teflon, ie: plumbers tape) membrane laminated to a face fabric.

Gore-Tex was the world's first company to use PTFE in a waterproof breathable. But, their patent ran out a few years ago, and other smaller companies jumped on the proverbial bandwagon and started using PTFE as well.

Both are exceptional fabrics. The only drawback of using a microporous laminate or coating is the garment's complete reliance on the DWR. Once the DWR wears off, and the face fabric becomes saturated, the garment stops breathing. This is why W.L. Gore and all the other microporous garment manufacturers are so adament about keeping the DWR in top condition.

The other route is a MVT (non-pomeric) coating, which doesn't have any pores. MVT's use two diametrically opposite layers, one is hydrophillic (water loving) and the other is hydrophobic. (water hating) Water vapour produced by the wearers body is 'picked up' by the hydrophillic layer, and the hydrophobic layer 'grabs' the vapour and tosses it outside of the garment.

Microporous fabrics are much more breathable, but MVT fabrics are not at all reliant on a DWR.

So you have to pick which road you want. However, companies like Helly Hansen use both technologies combined into one garment. 'Helly Tech.'

There's one other drawback to using a laminate/coated fabric. They don't breathe in below freezing temperatures. This is why countries like Sweden and Norway use cotton as an outer layer in the cold, cotton is unaffected by temperature drops.

Adam

Razorstrop

Nomad
Oct 1, 2005
North West
I have seen Event tested at the outdoor show in Birmingham in the summer and I must say I was impressed. Apparently its better then Gore-Tex and I saw nothing to say thats not true. ALOT of US companies are supposed to be starting to use it in a big way.

However as much as I like the looks of it, I have Ventile and thats the daddy as far as I am concerned.

My two pence worth
Mr Strop

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
The hype says it is better than goretex.

I have a pair of event lined fabricboots. Breathability is very good, and waterproofing is perfect. Only 5 months old but no problems to date. They are more breathable than goretex/leather footwear I used to own but this might be an unfair comparison.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE