Estwing or Husqvarna axe? please help a newbie!

andyxedos

Nomad
Jul 2, 2011
newport
Hi everyone!
This is my first post so please dont chew me up too much :D

Ive just started camping and have started to look for a decent axe for use whilst im away-not going to be used loads just for cutting some firewood etc and i'd like to learn some other skills while im at it!
After looking around i've narrowed my list to either a Estwing E24 or a Husqvarna 576. Just like an opinion on which to get really. I've read some reviews and most seem to go for the husqvarna which puzzles me as surely the solid metal design of the Estwing is better and for a newbie like me probably safer as theres less maintenance needed?
(plus the estwing looks awesom!)

Please help! and if theres anyone whos in the south wales area i'd love to hear from you ;)

Andy

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
IMO the Estwing is a little too much of a lightweight to be a good all-round axe. The Husky will serve a variety of needs better. A GB SFA is probably the No.1 choice for most bushcrafters. It has the weight of head, and length of handle, to allow for some serious work to be done, 2 handed if needs must, but is also light enough to comfortably work with one handed and is capable of doing even relatively fine carving work if properly maintained with a good edge.

It's your money, so is ultimately your choice, but I'd go for something a little more beefy than than an Estwing if your ever likely to be doing much for than split kindling with it on a regular basis.

Ian S

On a new journey
Nov 21, 2010
Edinburgh
The Estwing will really only be comfortable to hold by the (built up section of the) handle, and therefore limited in use. A wooden handled axe can be held from just under the head - great for controlled carving work - to the end of the handle - great for hard chopping.

I'd try for a wooden handled axe.

Cheers

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
For most UK camping you need a saw for actually cutting (dead) wood into lengths and then something to split it down if it is of a larger diameter or damp on the outside. You won't be using the axe actually for cutting. In that case the Husquvarna has a great profile for splitting and I would recommend it. Fantastic value - I prefer it over the GB Wildlife hatchet at twice the price.

I find the GB Small Forest Axe not much good for spitting because of the grind. I also cut myself with it and find it a bit too big to slip INSIDE a pack; not everyone wants to see you wandering around with an axe strapped to the outside of your bag. However, I am in the minority in disliking it.

I have no experience of the Estwing you mention.

I am sure you know this, but don't cut living wood. Most of it won't burn anyway. Enjoy your new hobby.

Last edited:

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Andy... You are just down the road from me. (Pontypool)

I have the Husqvarna and also a rather nice Wetterlings Mini Axe you would be welcome to try out. I know the Husqvarna takes a stunning edge, and keeps it.

Free Sunday afternoon if you want to pop up for a brew. We could go over axe safety. selecting wood (dead) and I also have a Silky saw to cover the basics of wood prep.

We also hold meets up this way during winter. Friendly group, always a good night out. Welcome to the forum!

al.

Last edited:

andyxedos

Nomad
Jul 2, 2011
newport
Cheers for the offer and a half!!!! I've gone for the husqvarna in the end-there were just too many good reviews of it not to bit it must be said I think the estwing looks awesome!! I'd love to pop up for some advice on Sunday-hopefully you'll be able to stop me losing any limbs when my axe comes next week! Lol I'll pm you later if that's ok?

Thanks again to everyone for their advice!!

andyxedos

Nomad
Jul 2, 2011
newport
No problemo... Good choice ;)

al.

just realised i cant yet send messages :(

my emails: ****removed from open forum to prevent harvesting**** if you can drop me a line?
looks like im working this weekend but will definitely be up for it next sunday if you are??

cheers again

Last edited by a moderator:

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Are you sure you actually need an axe?

They can be very dangerous in use, especially when you are tired. For most things you can use a saw, even for creating sizeable chunks of wood for a fire. You saw half way through and then hit the length of wood against a tree /rock and half splits off. (sorry - I tried to find a You Tube video but couldn't)

For smaller bits of wood you can batten with a knife

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
You beat me to it- i weas going to advise against getting the estwing anyhow! It's not a bad axe for certain uses- very strong, and for this reason is issued to the military as their survival axe. I used it on a week long course, and as mentioned above, it doesn't really have enough weight behind it in comparison to other (cheap and nasty) hand axes i've used.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Does the uncle Ray saw-halfway-through-and-whack-it technique for splitting work in practice? I can't imagine it works for short lengths. I can't get the knack and did a long wet canoe trip a couple of years ago sorely missing my splitting hatchet. A knife just wasn't enough for splitting sizeable rounds.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Does the uncle Ray saw-halfway-through-and-whack-it technique for splitting work in practice? I can't imagine it works for short lengths. I can't get the knack and did a long wet canoe trip a couple of years ago sorely missing my splitting hatchet. A knife just wasn't enough for splitting sizeable rounds.

I'd rather make a small wedge. Very easy to make, very effective, you can make another one if it wears out. :)

andyxedos

Nomad
Jul 2, 2011
newport
Well guys the bad boy has arrived!! £25 from amazon and I can't say I'm dissapointed so i'd just like to thank everyone for their advice again!! Out of interest is there any way of polishing the entire head of the axe as only the cutting edge is currently polished?or would this be too difficult for a newbie? (again apologies for not usingthe right terms!)

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
HI andy.
You could polish it if you really want to with some wet and dry paper down to cutting compound then with Autosol.
Can you really be bothered to though when it will oxidise rapidly and need constant maintenance to keep it shiny?
That time would be better spent in creating a superb cutting edge imho.
Seriously though , have fun and be careful.I own several axes and use them regularly so I keep them very sharp.
Makes spoon carving much easier and I never really got the point of battening with a knife if you don't absolutely have to : an axe is so much better at doing the job.
Cheers , Simon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE