estwing hatchet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hilltop

Banned
May 14, 2006
edge of the peak district
i have heared a lot about swedish made axes of different sorts and sizes, i got to say my estwing hachet is a fantastic tool, small, balanced, compact, it punches above its weight,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,anyone else use one?

leon-1

I have, I have also refurbished for other people as well, they are not half bad as far as a little hatchet is concerned. They deliver quite a punch partly due to thier construction, but if set up correctly they can cut even deeper.

Neil1 has one that he has had for a fair few years and I have developed a very healthy respect for them mainly due to the amount of work that his has been through.

Salix

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
Bolton
I have one, and use it a lot as part of my work set up. Great little hatchet - Much respect!

Mark

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I've only read a few negative comments over the years. Most have been positive. I have used Estwing hammers most of my life and they sure take a beating. Back in the 70s when I was working as a framing carpenter, most guys carried an Estwing hammer. I figure if those hatchets are built as good as their hammers, they gotta be pretty good.

R-J

Forager
Jan 26, 2005
norwich
yup, i've got one in my kit. its heavy, but i'd back it to do nigh on anything. it holds an edge well and has never let me down. inshort i'm impressed with it and its always in my kit when i go out n about. hope that helps

R

Roy S

With regard to the grip -when new the leather grip comes varnished and feels quite slippery. A colleague of mine told me you are supposed to sand off the varnish and soak the leather!
This seems rather strange to me and i am reluctent to do this.
Has any one else done this and what has been the result?
Do you think i should leave the grip as it is?
Cheers
Roy

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Although I have never owned an Estwing hatchet I have had three estwing hammers, two were 20oz leather handled ones and one is a framing hammer with a vinyl grip and ripclaws instead of the curved normal claws.

After years of use the first leather handled one developed a rattley handle and some of the white plastic washers came to bits, it wasn't worth repairing so I bought another exactly like it, at first I couldn;t get allong with the varnish so sanded it off and now I really like it(just like my old one).

The framing hammer is good for shuttering jobs as the ripclaws are almost like a crowbar but it's bit numb for using all the time.
Its a beast for battering four inch nails in on shutters where a nailgun sets them in too far

I realy like Estwings and they last well(bear in mind the fact that I carry one for at least 40 hours a week and they realy do get some use here).
Although I think the vinyl handled ones may be a bit better than the ones with the leather washers as every bloke and his dog on site own them I find that the leather washered ones don't get nicked as much.

I have used the Estwing hatchets but to be honest joiners don't really need an axe nowadays so have not bought one.

zackerty

Nomad
Dec 16, 2004
Christchurch...New Zealand
I own a leather handled Estwing hatchet from the 50's, and it has worked hard...
I still use it...
I also own a blue rubber handled Estwing claw hammer, and I woud like to see the Hatchet with the same type of rubber handle...

Feral

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 7, 2006
Victoria
I love mine, I have the bule vinil handled one. I bought it with my very first pay, 22 years ago. It is still going strong.

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Hoodoo said:
I've only read a few negative comments over the years. Most have been positive. I have used Estwing hammers most of my life and they sure take a beating. Back in the 70s when I was working as a framing carpenter, most guys carried an Estwing hammer. I figure if those hatchets are built as good as their hammers, they gotta be pretty good.

Same: Still have a number of Estwing hammers. Their roofing axes are also good, and everyone in the family has one for group roofing projects. Have two Estwing hachets, both originally handled with leather washers. One has had the leather come off and is now wood handled. They mostly get used around the house for splitting kindling for the woodstove and sauna stove. No complaints.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE