Estonia Kit List - Comments Please

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I've spied those Wiggys too, they look very good.

I don't know the exact performance of your boots, but mine are Scarpa Sl's 3/4 season b1 boots, rated for -3 C. IME, they are ok down to -3, then I feel the cold coming through the soles if I'm not moving. at -8 or under, I'm contsantly stepping to keep my feet warm in the Scarpas and need to stand on some insulating material/twigs/ deep snow. When dry, my least insulated pac boots (Meindl Soeldens) are much warmer and of a very similar design to the wiggys re-the lacing.

If its -10 or under, my feet would be cold. Assuming theres snow still lying and underfoot is constantly wet, my Meindls and spare liners will be coming.

Aside from pack boots, there's Berghaus Yeti Gaiters that would be a good addition ( Your Scarpas could have a reflective insole installed to boost their warmth a bit, as long as you can wear 2 thick pairs of socks in them too without them being tight) or Neos overboots to add some flexibilty to the footwear system.

The beauty of the pac boot system is the abilty to take the liners out and dry them. Far easier and quicker to dry than boots.

I'm expecting either snow or quagmire and ankle height boots are probably going to be swamped.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Cheers mate. Useful thoughts as ever. I think ill invest in a pair. Andy BB is popping in later and bringing his so i can try them for size before ordering.

Even if i dont use them this time there will be other opportunities as i want to make at least one cold weather trip per year.

Was looking at flights to Anchorage yesterday :D

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Cheers mate. Useful thoughts as ever. I think ill invest in a pair. Andy BB is popping in later and bringing his so i can try them for size before ordering.

Even if i dont use them this time there will be other opportunities as i want to make at least one cold weather trip per year.

Was looking at flights to Anchorage yesterday :D

Oh yeah, Alaska is calling me too. Trip of choice for next year :)

BTW, get a quote for shipping ;) Mr Wigatows shipping estimates have a tendency to rise :naughty:

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Jesus, I hadn't even thought what season my boots are!!

How in earth do you figure that out?

Its the thickness of the sole and whether theres any insulation in them, if they are the same as you took to wales, they probably won't be suitable dude. Another good otion Steve is buying some cheap, oversized wellies out there ;) 2 sizes too big with a few pairs of wool socks inside would be a very practical, cheap and lightweight solution. Just keep drying socks out and changing them. :)

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Yeah they are the ones in Wales mate.

I just assumed some hiking socks and some thick wool socks over the top would be ok tbh!!

The Wellys sound like a plan though!!
What would I need to google? 4 season hiking boots?

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Yeah they are the ones in Wales mate.

I just assumed some hiking socks and some thick wool socks over the top would be ok tbh!!

The Wellys sound like a plan though!!
What would I need to google? 4 season hiking boots?

If your going to buy, I'd go for a pair of Pack boots. Personally, I'd be tempted to either look at the Wiggys or wait for the end of winter sales to start. Going at the end of march is a perfect time to grab some end of winter bargains. My £300 polar boots cost me £75 landed from the US when they were on offer : )

Proper 4 season walking boots tend to be winter mountaineering orinetated with very stiff soles for crampons. Scarpa Mantas are a classic style 4 season boot.

Have a look at Pac boots, Nokian or Hunter wellies for something bang on the money. Also , have look at overboots-I like the look of the Neos overboots.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Sole flexibilty mate. It means they are very flexible and not recommended for Crampons. It goes from B0 to B3. B3 being full on plastic rigid boots.

Could have fooled me lol. Feel like wearing iron bars :D. I think pack boots are the way forward for me. Will try on Mr BBs for a size ref and then get an order in. Wiggys already has $60 off so im keen to get in and do the deal

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Will try on Mr BBs for a size ref and then get an order in. Wiggys already has $60 off so im keen to get in and do the deal

The Candy man has just left. The wiggys boots are out of this world. Never thought i could put my feet in something as warm and the comfort is just stunning. Ill be ordering tomorrow for sure

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
The more I think about it the more I'm thinking Wellys and welly liners are the way forward for me!!

As much as I would like I think spending a ton on new shoes is a bridge too far for this trip!!

Plus if teepee or mr thrills get eaten by a bear I can just steal there's :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE