Estonia Kit List - Comments Please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Hi Jaan

hope you are well. Thanks for the update although i would prefer a late spring and some cold weather :)

im sure whatever the weather brings, we will have an enjoyable time. After all, the worst day in the woods is better than any day at work :D

I will leave it to the last minute to select gear and pack accordingly

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Hi Jaan

hope you are well. Thanks for the update although i would prefer a late spring and some cold weather :)

im sure whatever the weather brings, we will have an enjoyable time. After all, the worst day in the woods is better than any day at work :D

I will leave it to the last minute to select gear and pack accordingly

Amen Mr Thrills!!!

Its gonna be an epic trip mate!!!

Looking forward to the nights round the fire while Pete tells us his tales of Jokmokk,

Im even looking forward to all the camp admin, sharing firewood prep and cooking etc!! What a team!!! lol

One for all and all for one!! lol

Last edited:

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Update on ice;

I spoke to a Sailor in Sweden who breaks ice in the Bay of Bothnia and runs a hovercraft business ferrying passengers accross the pack ice.

His view was that it will be very unlikely that the sea will still be frozen but possible. Expect big chunks of ice to be still floating around though. :)

After Sweden, I'm revising my kit list;

1 flip flops
2 Speedos
3 Hammock and straps
4 Battery cooling fan

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Hi Pete

Welcome home. Looking forward to hearing about your adventures and picking your brains

By all accounts its been a fairly mild winter over there. From the webcams ive seen the sea looks to be fluid already but its difficult to say for sure on a web cam. Dont forget yor suncream lol

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Cheers mate :)

It'll be good to catch up. Looking forward to not sinking waist deep to collect firewood.

I've invented a new game for us to play out there-chase the moose! Its great fun :)

DSCN1272.jpg

Jaan

Forager
Apr 22, 2011
Tallinn, Estonia
Snowstorm in northern Estonia for the past 12 hours!

Yesterday went to the store at 9pm and 10 minutes later when I came back my tracks in the snow had vanished.
Still very much like the heart of winter here!

I do hope it gets warmer now. The past week has been mostly above 0, but last night messed it all up again with a foot of new snow.

Tried to walk on the snow in a field yesterday, it had melted for a week and then froze again, so I didn't manage to go through it - makes walking in the woods much much easier.

Looking forward to you coming here! I might put up a kit list of my own! :)

Just got a new sleeping bag last week from the Polish company Cumulus. A nice down bag with a comfort temperature of -2C, but weight of only 640g. Can't wait to try it out.

I'm still missing some items of kit and I hope I can get them before you come here to spend a night in the woods with you.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Thanks for the update Jaan :)

I'm keeping an eye on the weather, there looks to be some very cold conditions possibly coming your way in 10 days time or so. The Cumulus stuff looks very good, never seen one in the flesh though.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Snowstorm in northern Estonia for the past 12 hours!

Yesterday went to the store at 9pm and 10 minutes later when I came back my tracks in the snow had vanished.
Still very much like the heart of winter here!

I do hope it gets warmer now. The past week has been mostly above 0, but last night messed it all up again with a foot of new snow.

Tried to walk on the snow in a field yesterday, it had melted for a week and then froze again, so I didn't manage to go through it - makes walking in the woods much much easier.

Looking forward to you coming here! I might put up a kit list of my own! :)

Just got a new sleeping bag last week from the Polish company Cumulus. A nice down bag with a comfort temperature of -2C, but weight of only 640g. Can't wait to try it out.

I'm still missing some items of kit and I hope I can get them before you come here to spend a night in the woods with you.

HI Jaan, great to hear from you, ive been watching the weather cams avidly and see from the forecast temps could be down to -20 again by the end of next week. Still, i guess it could be very different in three weeks time. i just hope its either cold or hot but not thawing as thats not easy conditions to cope with for extended periods.

I considered a Cumulus bag before i went with western mountaineering. They have a very good reputation so i look forward to seeing it.

I do hope you can make it out to meet us. I think it would be good to meet at Nommeveski if thats ok with you. were you thinking of the weekend? Saturday?

Jaan

Forager
Apr 22, 2011
Tallinn, Estonia
HI Jaan, great to hear from you, ive been watching the weather cams avidly and see from the forecast temps could be down to -20 again by the end of next week. Still, i guess it could be very different in three weeks time. i just hope its either cold or hot but not thawing as thats not easy conditions to cope with for extended periods.

I considered a Cumulus bag before i went with western mountaineering. They have a very good reputation so i look forward to seeing it.

I do hope you can make it out to meet us. I think it would be good to meet at Nommeveski if thats ok with you. were you thinking of the weekend? Saturday?

Yep I think the Nõmmeveski campsite on Saturday would be perfect. I've already booked the weekend months in advance and will be bringing a friend (or two).

We'll definitely join you for the evening but depending on the weather we'll see if we can stay for the night. I don't have sleeping kit to cope with weather below freezing, at least not yet. This will be a project for fall 2013.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Thats great. I will forward our mobile numbers via pm before we go in case we need to make arrangements but im hoping we should be able to update the thread fairly easily from the woods to give time of arrival at the site.

I hope the weather is kind for you and look forward to your company.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Hi Jaan,

Im the 3rd (and best looking) memeber of this motley crew.

Im very much looking forward to meeting and sharing a brew round the fire!!

I must admit though Im definatley in the same frame of mind as you in that I hope it warms up!!

If not looks like Im gonna be spending a few nights in the bear cave lol

Jaan

Forager
Apr 22, 2011
Tallinn, Estonia
The beginning of "spring" in Tallinn.

epe8eje9.jpg

Last edited:

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Time to start picking a kit list soon, early signs for it being a cold one :)

Does anyone know if kiddy sleds are available in Tallin or the supermarket at this time of year? If not, I might take one over. The pulk may ride again this year.:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE