Estonia Kit List - Comments Please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Latest weather. :bigok::hatscarf:

weather_zps8e415ca7.jpg

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Kit list to follow shortly Mr Thrills!!
As I said I got my hammock suspension sorted today, its amazing!!
Massive thanks to Pete for sorting that out!!

In fact a big thanks to both of you!!!
You have both been absolute superstars helping me with this trip in all sorts of different ways!!

You are both my heroes!!!

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Kit list to follow shortly Mr Thrills!!
As I said I got my hammock suspension sorted today, its amazing!!
Massive thanks to Pete for sorting that out!!

In fact a big thanks to both of you!!!
You have both been absolute superstars helping me with this trip in all sorts of different ways!!

You are both my heroes!!!

Help a Hero! Empty your inbox! :lmao:

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Mate, wearing a funny hat so you can laugh at me doesnt make me a hero :D

Thanks for a great weekend. It was great to try out the full rig in some cold weather and im happy my gear list is about there. Just need to add the group pot and im good to go.

The golite has exceeded my expectations for space vs weight and pack size so i think its now prefered to the seekoutside which ill keep for home use.

20130112_104341.jpg

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Mate, wearing a funny hat so you can laugh at me doesnt make me a hero :D

Thanks for a great weekend. It was great to try out the full rig in some cold weather and im happy my gear list is about there. Just need to add the group pot and im good to go.

The golite has exceeded my expectations for space vs weight and pack size so i think its now prefered to the seekoutside which ill keep for home use.

20130112_104341.jpg

Silly question I no, but were you able to stand up in there to get changed do your 'admin' etc?
It was a long time ago but that was part of the reason for getting a Teepee, no pun intended lol

Jan 19, 2013
Finland
Silly question I no, but were you able to stand up in there to get changed do your 'admin' etc?
It was a long time ago but that was part of the reason for getting a Teepee, no pun intended lol

Ah, so british of you dear :lmao:
You recon if he did it out in the open you'd see something you haven't seen before or that your eyes would melt?

One of those things a Finn will never understand :D

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Ah, so british of you dear :lmao:
You recon if he did it out in the open you'd see something you haven't seen before or that your eyes would melt?

One of those things a Finn will never understand :D

I'm sorry I don't quite get your point?

I was more getting at If its raining or snowing that Paul will have somewhere to get changed etc rather than getting wet and cold.

Thanks for the input though, or not!!

Jan 19, 2013
Finland
I'm sorry I don't quite get your point?

I was more getting at If its raining or snowing that Paul will have somewhere to get changed etc rather than getting wet and cold.

Thanks for the input though, or not!!

Don't get me wrong here guys, it just reminded me of the times I was in college in UK and watched 7 girls sitting in the hallway and one in the dorm room getting changed and that being repeated 8 times :D

One of you guys have a tarp right? So that can be hung high enough for comfort, so that everyone can change into dry gear under the tarp? No need to try and wiggle in a one man tent?

If it was me and a few mates going on a trek, there would only be one tent/tarp, big enough for three and carrying weight distributed to everyone, same with most gear, no need to carry everything 3 times. you know, one axe, one kettle for water, one for grub, one tent lamp/lantern etc.

The most importat question however, after looking at the kit lists, who has the first aid kit and what does it contain?
The wildlife really is abundant as Staffas pointed out and there are also populations of abandoned dogs that are wild and surviving, but not nessesarily as affraid of human as the actual wildlife, so might pose a threat too. There is a big risk of Rabies with most of the dog, wolf, fox, raccoon guys and plenty of them have mange and other bugs too.

Second thing is the issue of conditions, it is spring, so everything is melting in the sun. Even if it is still cold and might be minus temperatures the snow is wet, trees are wet, ground is soaking wet. Wearing waterproof means getting sweaty, not wearing waterproofs means getting drenched from snow. So whilst shopping in Tallin before launching into the woods, I suggest you visit the SuperAlko (Off License) too and get a few bottles of "liquid heat" into the pack too.

And as for food shopping, there are really good choices for dry stuff that can be made into a nice porridge, not just oatmeal, my favourite is rye flakes, but you can get a different one for every morning if you want to, also berry custard/soup powders that are high in sugar, they are extremely popular with local hikers, you can eat them warm or cold (always add hot water), the amount of added water regulates the density, they are nice as a drink or custard with the morning porridge.
Rye crispbread weighs next to nothing and is slow carbs witch are good on a trek, when buying butter try and find one with salt in it, unsalted one is very popular in Estonia, they have really nice creamcheese and sausages and salami type things.

My writing style may give you the wrong idea (too old to change that) but I'm actually just hoping you have a good, fun trip and get the most out of it.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
All good points my friend. The tipi im taking is a 5 man golite. The primary reason for taking this is to have a hot tent with stove rather than a changing area. The fact it gives good head room is just a bonus for dressing and admin rather than preserving my modesty.

First aid kit im taking is much fuller than I would carry at home. The aditional items are broad spectrum antibiotics, suture kit, clot pad, tourniquet, israeli bandage, forceps and some strong pain killers. this is on top of standard dressing plasters bandages etc.

I took your post in good faith, made me chuckle :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
If rabies abundant, worth while getting innoculated - I got the jabs - last 2 years I think and if you get bitten, just need a simple booster rather than something more unpleasant!

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Well i finally got round to burning in the Seek Outside Ti stove today. Putting the 9ft flue together was an interesting job that on my own would have been impossible and im sure it would have looked like a battered cigarette had i been successful . Some assistance from wifey saw us manage it easily. Teamwork rocks :).

took it outside and loaded a couple of my aldi heat logs. I had to lean the flue on the pergola but normally the stove jack will hold it in place.

20130121_145348.jpg

20130121_145400.jpg

Off we go

20130121_145607.jpg

Soon started to get good heat and a nice ti patina. The wire pulls on the door are inspired and were cool to the touch

20130121_151725.jpg

I closed the door and opened up the damper and it really did go well on full chat. The pipe quickly developed some colour up to about halfway and i briefly had a flame from the top

20130121_152141.jpg

I let it burn on full while i took my daughter out on her sledge and by the time it had gone cold enough to handle it had managed 1 3/4 hours. I think thats a creditable performance with the damper open all the way and would hope to improve with it choked down a little.

i lay the pipe out and slipped of all the retaining rings and it maintained its shape pretty much all the way along although the end nearest the stove was best. I rolled it back the other way for storage but i think it will be much easier to assemble on my own now ive burned it in.

20130121_163118.jpg

All in all a cracking bit of kit. just need to get my stove jack fitted in the golite now and im good to go

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
6 weeks and 3 days chaps!!!!

I really should get my kit list up to be torn to bits lol!!

Bring it on!!

Best of luck Pete in your upcoming adventure to jokkmok!!

Stay safe and warm pal!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE