Ere! what do you reckon to this?

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Just wondering what you chaps think to the shape?( in it's rough form).

:drive:

DSCF4085.jpg

think a woody shaped blade with swoopy handle, convex, 01.

Last edited:

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Don't look too bad! What I'd do now it to make a blade out of birch ply, 3 or 4mm thick, then use some pine to make the handle. Quick and easy. Then i get to hold a knife in hand, I find it easier to have a concrete "something" in hand rather than try to visualise it from a picture or a piece of paper. But that's me!

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Forgot to say, it's inspired by the Canadien belt knife shape, but i want a curvy grip.

ah looks very nice mate! I thought it looked simular to the candian belt knife, when will it be finished?

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Don't look too bad! What I'd do now it to make a blade out of birch ply, 3 or 4mm thick, then use some pine to make the handle. Quick and easy. Then i get to hold a knife in hand, I find it easier to have a concrete "something" in hand rather than try to visualise it from a picture or a piece of paper. But that's me!

I'm there dude!

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Apart from the thumb ramp so obviously characteristic the now famous JD design It reminds me a little bit of my EKA Super Swede, which I like precisely because of that curvature (and the blade shape, and the 12c27 blade material and the scales, and -- well I just like it, and it wasn't even the one I asked for as a present all those years ago but I fell in love with it anyway). Back on the topic the thing about your outline is that it seems to me to put the point a little higher than I'd find comfortable, almost like you've opened my folder a little bit further than it's meant to go. But there are swings and roundabouts there and I don't know how you plan to use it and what your existing tools are like, and this is my second Cointreau of the evening so it's not a criticism, just an observation. I think I'd also go for a slightly bigger handle but that's just the personal preference of somebody with wide mitts. It will be good to see how you get on with it once it's made. :)

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Hahah! never stop critiquing ideas, it's how we learn, though I will say this, your wrong. hehehe is this the model you refer to matey?
e9bf6ba6.jpg

I kind of see where your coming from, my idea for the handle comes mainly from these designs.
b8cab34d.jpg

and this was the basis for the whole idea.

no1big.jpg

Multi purpose knife, but with a slide toward food prep while still being a decent carver.

I have been expertly guided by the maker, and I'm very grateful for that, as you can see in post one , my initial design was to say the least, a bit of a shambles.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Hahah! never stop critiquing ideas, it's how we learn, though I will say this, your wrong. hehehe

You might be right. :)

... is this the model you refer to matey?

Yep.

Multi purpose knife, but with a slide toward food prep while still being a decent carver.

I was thinking that food prep would be one of its strong points (obviously assuming a flat grind). Go for it!

maethor

Jun 10, 2011
Berlin, Germany
Wow, sweet idea. Please keep us posted on the process, I love those WIP threads! Are you forging the knife or will you just work it out of a solid piece with hacksaw, file and grinder?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE