Endicott's Modified Dutch Bivi Bag Review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Endicott's have bought in a batch of centre and side opening Dutch issue 'Goretex' Bivy Bags in excellent condition. They are modifying these (to order) at the moment with heavy duty YKK zips.

The bags weigh 1300 grammes. This is due to the heavy duty construction, quality of the materials and also because of the rather useful kip-mat holders (more of which later). However the whole package feels robust and reliable. The few extra grams I'll just have to shave off somewhere else. However - for those ultra-light freaks out there this modest weight will probably have you shaking your heads.

The modified bag costs £49 and the link is 'ere

http://www.endicotts.co.uk/product_...d=720&osCsid=c22a23de7433312ae2d1312bd087712a

The side opening one is 'ere http://www.endicotts.co.uk/product_...d=721&osCsid=c22a23de7433312ae2d1312bd087712a

Here is the bag being tested and modelled by my VERY understanding wife (!).

IMGP1521.jpg

You will see that it has a large protection flap over the zip area.

It is a roomy bag (my wife is 5' 8" and I am 6ft) and there is plenty of spare foot room for longer framed people. I am 16 stone and find the space more than ample.

The sleeping bag was a down one and the loft was not affected much by the weight of the fabric. The round bulls-eye foot area helped this lofting.

IMGP1617.jpg

The fabric is PTFE backed with a brushed face to it. Inside has the usual micro-mesh-facing over the membrane and the sealed seams to help movement in the bag (membranes are notorious for clinging to your sleeping bag material) and create a more comfortable environment.

IMGP1628.jpg

IMGP1618.jpg

IMGP1615.jpg

The face-hood area has a draw-cord

IMGP1612.jpg

This is the inside view of the modified Zip (YKK):

IMGP1627.jpg

This is an outside view of the zip which is under the sizeable storm flap:

IMGP1543.jpg

The underside of the bag has a pair of kip-mat holders. I have found these very useful as I tend to 'migrate' off my matt in the night. It has also been useful in a hammock as it has secured my matt (for extra warmth) underneath me - otherwise the matt tends to shift during the night. The kip matt holders are quite narrow so I would look to use either the narrower models of self-inflating matts or a cut down closed cell one. If you do not want this feature or want to strip a few grammes off the package then you could cut these holders off. But I quite like the option and the few extra grammes.

IMGP1611.jpg

Now to the testing:

I filled the test area with a hosepipe (well my 2-year old did) to a depth of 1 - 1.5 inches.

IMGP1522.jpg

IMGP1528.jpg

Covering the bag directly with water and spraying it

IMGP1525.jpg

The water beaded off well

IMGP1526.jpg

IMGP1527.jpg

Of course this amount of water under pressure did 'wet out' the surface of the bag eventually!

IMGP1532.jpg

IMGP1530.jpg

The weight of the water did affect the loft of the bag. But this would affect all bags and it would be unusual for such a puddle to remain on a bag in such a way (unless you lay very still all night!)

IMGP1531.jpg

I had my 'model' roll from one side to the other to ensure the sides of the bag got wet and also to simulate natural rolling in the night. Of course if you rolled right over on your front then the zip and the storm flap (and your face opening) would be in the water!

IMGP1534.jpg

IMGP1535.jpg

The end result: a very wet test area and wet outer to the bag - all over.

IMGP1536.jpg

Underneath the storm flap the zip was dry:

IMGP1540.jpg

With no sign of water ingress due to spray or direct application of water to the flap area at the mid-point of the zip.

IMGP1541.jpg

This was the same for the bottom of the zip but managed to flick some water under the flap as I opened it to take the photo. Even if this was not the case - this was the area that had the most water poured onto it. It remained dry.

IMGP1542.jpg

However the zip itself is not water-resistant (I would argue that it does not need to be under this highly effective storm flap and under normal usuage). But as you can see when I poured some water directly onto the zip it went through:

IMGP1624.jpg

IMGP1623.jpg

In conclusion I would give this bag my thumbs up with a 3.5 - 4 out of 5

Pros:
Quality of construction and materials
A good quality YKK Zip modification
Massive Storm Flap
Kip Mat holders
Centre opening - great for hammock use - a doddle to get in and out of (even with a side opening sleeping bag)
Good price for condition of bag and modification.
Endy's Customer Service

Cons:
A slightly more weighty package than many - by around 300gms.
Kip mat holders could be a cm or two wider (very minor niggle) but do the job well
If you sleep in rivers then any opening (zip, flap or otherwise) on the bag will not do!

Simon H

Nomad
Feb 20, 2008
The Ashdown Forest
Very good review. I have wondered about those.

I've got an old British army one and I always have my mat in the bivi bag in an effort to stay on the thing (still doesn't work), having those mat holders would probably save a fair bit of wear and tear on the bottom of the bag too.

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Rep deserved for such a comprehensive trail and review. Bordering on extreme testing, you (and the family) went that little bit further than any before. Well done LBL, no flannel, just facts (and a great deal of plastic and water)! :)

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Thanks Jedadiah, Simon H and SimonM for the appreciation. Always good to get feedback after a review :D:headbang:

My wife scowled furiously when she saw that I was posting a picture of her on the Internet (even if she was in a bag). I said it could have been ALOT worse and could root around for some less clad ones :D ;)

At that point she :nutkick: :buttkick: :twak: :sulkoff:

And I said :sad6:

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
I've already got one of these and I mod'ed it myself a while back. Many thanks for the review, it's good to see it fares well under your comprehensive testing, usually I'll be using it under a tarp so I'm glad to know it'll hold up to much worse than I've subjected it to :D

p.s. Kudos to Mrs. Littlebiglane :D

verloc

Settler
Jun 2, 2008
East Lothian, Scotland
These caught my eye the other day when I was browsing Endi's website. They look really good. I actually called Kevin at Endicotts and unfortunately he isn't taking any more orders for this at the moment as his seamstress who does the mod is off sick with a poorly back at the moment and he needs to fulfil the orders he already has.

Hopefully this will change soon cos they look awesome!

Cheers for the review - that's some serious hardcore testing.

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
Thanks for this great review!

Now it's time to buy your SWMBO some flowers for an excellent modelling job!

Mine would probably :argue: :censored: :sulkoff: :eek: :swordfigh :tapedshut :rant: :rant: :rant:

Regarding the weight of the whole bivy bag, I've got a tent that comes to 1450g including poles & pegs.. I think I stick with that for the moment. But if I had the money I'd go for one!

:D

Mike

LBL

Great review, it's firmed up my decision to get one, as I've been interested in them for ages - just got to sort out the finances.

One quick question, I may have missed it but if not, you mention the water repellency in your review, I take it that there were not wet patches inside the bag after the test (apart from what went through the zip)?

Well done to you and the family for a top job :You_Rock_

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
LBL

Great review, it's firmed up my decision to get one, as I've been interested in them for ages - just got to sort out the finances.

One quick question, I may have missed it but if not, you mention the water repellency in your review, I take it that there were not wet patches inside the bag after the test (apart from what went through the zip)?

Well done to you and the family for a top job :You_Rock_

The 'wetting' out was just on the outside of the surface of the bivy bag - none inside :) The fabric remained totally waterproof.

Nelis

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Oudenbosch
Hi folks,

Like the review as I have an dutch army bivy bag myself (actually the complete set with the sleeping bag and sheets).

Might be usefull to put a zip in though.

Just one question, how do you close the storm flap properly when you are alone, after the zipper has been closed (The flap should be very tight shouldn't it) ?

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
I put a zip in my dutch bivi and took it to the arctic. Fantasic bit of kit.

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
Here as well, great bag & did the mod myself. Just to save some weight I removed all the stud fasteners using pliers. I also have the huge sleeping bag that goes with it (-300 rating a think;) ) but thats a bit of kit I will probably never use because you'll need a truck just to take it with you...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE