Emmer and einkorn bread

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Hi folks
does any one have receipts for emmer and einkorn flour breads that they have personally used?

Having long learned that lot of receipts on th interweb are merely copies of others what I'm after is recommendations for ones that actually work from the experience of folk here who's opinions I have found (gawd help me) to be sound.

Sitting here with my feet up waiting for the Roman army ( best guess ) spelt bread near the end of its second rising I can see the packs of emmer and einkorn leering at me. Also I just found that live yeast goes off faster than I thought in th freezer, the consensus is one month probably but ill be pushing it at two. So I have a freezer full of ex Asda live yeast that I'd like to use up rather than waste.

to be honest I've been pretty poor at getting out to cook the last two years so this year I'm going to make the effort. I've cleaned the big Ausie camp ovens and just now to make use of the excellent pound to Euro rate herself has ordered me one of those Condor magnetic Dutch oven thermometers.

ATB

Tom

markheolddu

Settler
Sep 10, 2006
Llanelli
I have tried this one.
500g Einkorn flour
1tsp quick yeast
1tsp salt
1tsp sugar
325ml Luke warm water

Mix it all and knead. Place it in a 2lb tin let it rise and bake at 200c for 35/40mins.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers!

Its just remembered I've a copy of Jacqui Woods "Prehistoric cooking" that I read in one of my dopier states so don't remember too well. Ill go through the chapter on bread again.

One of the reciepts on the einkorn bag has a 10 to 15 hr proving period and a hours cooking, partly covered!

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Well I made a 4.5 lb batch of emmer bread, from the instructions on the bag, maybe with a little more live yeast than what's strictly the equivalent to the dry yeast in the receipt.

it rose really well the first time, 2lb went into a tin, 2lb onto a tray and the left over as a bun to try . The receipt called for a wetter dough than I'd allowed for so the nice circular loaf spread out into a amorphous blob.

image.jpg1_zpspudffkuc.jpg

The second rise took longer than I thought it would so when the stuff in the tin had doubled I bunged them in a gas mark 6 and a bit.

The crust is excellent. Taste is, well nowt special, different and pleasant enough but nowt to go mad about. Overall I prefer spelt or spelt and rye. I'll see what the rest of the family think, the wife who is one of the worlds crust lovers will go mad for the flat loaf I think. Definately worth trying if you get a chance.

There was just over half a oz of yeast left from the freebie bag from Asda so I made a batch of Whelsh yeast pancakes. Not done them before and they are rather nice. Three were misshapen so I had to eat them just to be tidy, like. The rest will probably survive until the lads come home at Teatime.

ATB

Tom

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I think that you have excellent results! Fresh yeast should be 2x (by weight) to the dry yeast to account for the moisture.
After 20(?) years of making my weekly breads, I am always amazed when the pans come out of the oven.
I know that it's been done with a bowl and a stick for thousands of years but it's still magic to me.

Another book to be on the look-out for is Wayne Gisslen's "Professional Baking."
It's the text used in all Cordon Bleu culinary schools. Good info and thousands of recipes.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers! It went down very well, the cob and mutant flat loaf were wolfed down at Tea, with butter and pepper salami for those who wanted ithemand the yeast pancakes disappeared even faster, most of us had them heated up with butter and maple syrup although certain uncouth people couldn't wait and shoved them in pretty much whole.

i think I will save the rest of the emmer flour for some griddle cakes. When its the season i'll get some more and use elderberries as the leaven. There's a natural yeast on them I'd like to see work.

Way back, about '92, 93 I baked twice a week, loaves and cobs, naan breads and what not but when the kids came along I fell out of the habit. Since I'm a house husband I have the time so have been trying to get myself back into it. Adding the element of historical experimentation, for want of a better term, gives it a bit of spice.

ATB

Tom

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Feeding time at the Zoo, huh?
Ah. "Artisan breads" have a real appeal. Grocery store white stinks when toasted.
The best of the bread book bunch is "Dough, Simple Contemporary Bread," by Richard Bertinet.
ISBN 978-1-904920-20-5.

5 basic doughs and more than 50 breads. I do believe that he's over your way.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE