Emergency, Grangers 2 in 1 treatment not working.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pysen78

Forager
Oct 10, 2013
Stockholm
Hi all!
Got in a bit of a pickle... Going on a field-trip to Japan on saturday, and wanted my no-name faux gore-tex breathable jacket to look a bit more city-worthy, than it's usual mudstained self.
Weather forecast says rain (30mm/day) so really need water proofs.
Bought a bottle of Grangers 2in1 and popped it (along with another jacket, mil-tec polycotton smock) in the washer.

Put the correct amount (2 caps) of grangers in the detergent drawer and used the program for delicates, 40degrees centigrade.
Jackets came out a bit wet, I guess since the delicate program doesn't spin as hard as ordinary wash.

After, I put them in the dryer, on standard heat (dryer's got no program for medium heat, only heat on/off).

When drying program was finished they were not competely dry, but, say, slightly damp. Nothing I saw as a problem. Hung them up fo the time being.

Tested them for water resistance just now. Rubbish! water absolutely does not form beads and roll off, it soaks in. Worse than before I washed them.

Does anyone see a clear reason why this didn't work? I reckokn it's my washing them as delicates, but I need to know, so I can wash again with confidence tonight or tomorrow.
I've no time to either shop for a new jacket or pick up a new bottle of grangers after using it all up in another failed attempt.

Please help!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
To be honest I'm not a fan of 2in1's they they're not jacks of any trade and masters of none. The jacket has to be dry and heated for the DWR to be activated. Pop it back in the dryer for 10 -15 minutes. That should help.

One thing though, do you use fabric conditioner in your machine, or a washing powder with one built in? If you do and you didn't rinse the machine out on a hot wash first the DWR on your jacket will be slightly kaput! It'll need a good wash and separate re treatment to get it anywhere near back to useful.

Hope that helps and you don't feel to disheartened?

GB.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Get the ironing board out and set the iron to the hottest setting, then wet a towel and wring it out; iron your kit through the damp towel giving it a really good heating all over. Take a bit of time and be sure the complete garment (s) get a good dose of heat, keeping the towel damp all the time to prevent any heat damage. The hot steam will activate the DWR.

Let us know how you get on :)

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Id go with Goatboys theory if you've any residue or build up in your draw from softner or powder it can have a big effect,also I would have washed it first in non bio, then in tech wash then in the proofer I do this on my wifes and my jackets and they have worked spot on.

Bonzo Frog

Forager
Jun 21, 2005
Worcestershire
I'd also go with Goatboys theory, I used to work in the outdoor trade and this sort of complaint wasn't uncommon. Any detergent residue will cause problems. Go with the suggestions from Goatboy and Andybythesea and you should be ok.

Dave

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
To be honest I'm not a fan of 2in1's they they're not jacks of any trade and masters of none. The jacket has to be dry and heated for the DWR to be activated. Pop it back in the dryer for 10 -15 minutes. That should help.

One thing though, do you use fabric conditioner in your machine, or a washing powder with one built in? If you do and you didn't rinse the machine out on a hot wash first the DWR on your jacket will be slightly kaput! It'll need a good wash and separate re treatment to get it anywhere near back to useful.

Hope that helps and you don't feel to disheartened?

GB.

Great advice from Goatboy. I'll add that wash-in treatments aren't really suitable for Gore-Tex. Only the outer face of the fabric needs to have it's DWR maintained and becuase GTX is a flourocarbon finish, heat and cleaning should re-activivate the DWR unless it's had a lot of wear. Use spray on Grangers or my preference, Nikwax TX-Direct spray (you can make TX-Direct spray from wash in TX-Direct; just dilute 9 parts water to 1 TX-Direct and spray on) if it won't bead up after following the advice above.

The only time I've had un-successful results are when I've been lazy and not rinsed the machine out well. I find it easy to wash wool before doing detergent sensitive kit. The soap does a good job of cleaning any remaining residues out of the machine.

pysen78

Forager
Oct 10, 2013
Stockholm
Thank you all for your help and moral support.
I tried ironing one sleeve last night with no positive effects and gave both jackets another go in the dryer. Tested again this morning and no beading.

Based on your combined experience, I'm leaning towards residues in the washer and not shaking the bottle enough. Will wash again tonight. Clean out the machine. Then one cycle without detergent, then one with grangers, then tumble until completely dry.

Updates to follow.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE