Ember burned mug

Dec 4, 2009
NJ, USA
So I'm very new to any sort of woodworking or bushcraft knowledge but I love DIY and outdoorsy projects. Right now I'm trying to make a mug out of a dry birch log as a Christmas present. I had heard about burning the inside of a log and then scrapping out the charred part.

My first attempt ended up with the sides being burned more than the bottom. Is there a way to control what is burned so that it will burn down into the log instead of to the sides??

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
... I'm trying to make a mug out of a dry birch log ... . I had heard about burning the inside of a log and then scrapping out the charred part.

My first attempt ended up with the sides being burned more than the bottom. Is there a way to control what is burned so that it will burn down into the log instead of to the sides??

I'm no expert, don't take this as gospel.
You can use a dribble of water to stop the embering/burning from spreading to an area you don't want to hollow. You can also use dampened sand (etc) as a protective barrier. Both will need to be applied and re-applied as and when required.
Which plane of the log are you going to burn out? I believe that the vertical plane will be liable to split very easily - you may be better of splitting the log and doing a horizontal burn. Either way, take it slow - extinguish, scrape and re-burn far more often than you're likely to want to. Basically, the longer ypu allow the log to burn, the more likely it is that splits will develop.
As mentioned above, a narrow pipe/straw will help localise a burn.

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
So I'm very new to any sort of woodworking or bushcraft knowledge but I love DIY and outdoorsy projects. Right now I'm trying to make a mug out of a dry birch log as a Christmas present. I had heard about burning the inside of a log and then scrapping out the charred part.

Had the same happen to me several times so I gave up and made myself a spoon knife. Much easier and quicker but something else to carry with you in the woods

Dec 4, 2009
NJ, USA
I've managed to salvage my first attempt despite the opening being narrower then I'd like. It still has the bark on and I think I rather like it like that, plus it gives it a slightly wider opening...any suggestions on the best way to seal/finish it?

I'm no expert, don't take this as gospel.
You can use a dribble of water to stop the embering/burning from spreading to an area you don't want to hollow. You can also use dampened sand (etc) as a protective barrier. Both will need to be applied and re-applied as and when required.
Which plane of the log are you going to burn out? I believe that the vertical plane will be liable to split very easily - you may be better of splitting the log and doing a horizontal burn. Either way, take it slow - extinguish, scrape and re-burn far more often than you're likely to want to. Basically, the longer ypu allow the log to burn, the more likely it is that splits will develop.
As mentioned above, a narrow pipe/straw will help localise a burn.

I had been doing a vertical burn but I think tomorrow I'll take your advice and work with a horizontal burn and take it slow.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I have heard, I think it was on the Northern Wilderness, that the Native People of the West Coast used to finish burning the inside of their large canoes in the water, the idea being the the burning would stop when it reached close to the outside surface of the canoe because the wood was wet, though preventing the fire from burning through. Maybe it would work in the same way if you got the outside of the mug wet?

Not sure if I am being helpful here..:rolleyes:

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
...any suggestions on the best way to seal/finish it?

Erm, not something I've done yet - a food safe oil? It would probably need the occassional re-application, and more-so if the content is warm/hot. I've only done a couple of coal hollowings and they've been quick impro stuff; they've been made as needed and then recycled - as firewood :D .

... I had been doing a vertical burn but I think tomorrow I'll take your advice and work with a horizontal burn and take it slow.

Playing is a fun way of learning goodjob .

... finish burning the inside of their large canoes in the water, the idea being the the burning would stop when it reached close to the outside surface of the canoe because the wood was wet ...

I'll have to try to remember this - got to be worth an experiment.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE