Elwell 2 1/2lb Axe Refurb

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Following the last Couple of Axe projects, During break times at work I have been working on a short project of one of the two axes that I recently laid my hands on.

2013-05-29 15.41.03.jpg
A quick reminder of the original Condition of the axe, it the one on the Right, it was in quite good condition apart from having a coat of paint at some time and the poll was a bit of a mushroom, and the helve was in good nick all apart from the knob, the wedge had fallen apart and more or lest fell out.

I took out the helve carefully as I could see it may have been a re-user, once it was out the Head went for a swim in vinegar for a couple of days until most of the rubbish was off, I finished the clean up with a Pan Scourer in the vinegar, a quick wash dry and a 30 buff up with autosol to stop the rust starting again, I then linished off the mushroom until I thought it looked correct.

I then worked on the cutting edge keeping as near to the original, but removing the couple of dinks it had.

The helve was the easy part to be fair, the whole thing got a good sanding to remove as much of the dirt, taking care to leave the Elwell Brand Mark in tacked as much as I could, I then cleaned up the knob as it was well featherd and someone had cut into it with a saw, so I cleaned it up with a goats foot knob.

It all came together with the help of a Cherry Wedge that I quickly made up and knocked in, a quick coat of oil for the Helve, and here it is.

DSC_0971.jpg

Hope you like, and I have done it justice, it feels nice in the hand and well balanced, just got to finish off the sharping of it and will try it out at the weekend.

Last edited:

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Nice little project you finished there Stew mate, the back end looks much better and overall a good job done.
It is nice to rejuvenate old tools.

scorpion

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2009
Manchester
Nice job that wood looks really nice Whats the length of it? Ive just come across a Elwell 2 1/4lb axe myself which I'm going to refurb but I'm not sure what handle length to use.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Nice job that wood looks really nice Whats the length of it? Ive just come across a Elwell 2 1/4lb axe myself which I'm going to refurb but I'm not sure what handle length to use.

I normally go with what I want to do with the axe, but this one had a very good helve which was the original, so went with it 18" originally, but to take the damage out of the poll, its ended up as just over 17"

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE