Elm Spoon

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
DSCF2354sep.jpg

Having not done any serious spoon carving for a while, i decided today was a good day to remedy that, so i took a walk over the hill to where the Farm had done some hedge maintenance during the winter and collected myself some pieces of Elm from one of the remaining rubbish piles.

Now as anyone who has tried to carve Elm knows. it's not the easiest of wood to carve, even when green, but if you persevere, you can get a spoon or carving that has some amazing grain patterns in it, the piece i chose for this spoon has a mix of dark heart wood and lighter coloured sap wood and a few small knots and inclusions that contrast beautifully in the finished spoon, as you will see, i elected to sand the spoon rather than leave the faceted look i normally finish with.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Cheers Nova, the finish is just perserverence, taking tiny amounts of wood away at a time, then in this case sanding down through the grits in this case 80, 120, 180, 320, 600 & 1000

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Elm is such a lovely wood, and I almost never have any to play with. Is Wych elm similar in characteristics, because I've found a good bit of that near me?

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Elm is such a lovely wood, and I almost never have any to play with. Is Wych elm similar in characteristics, because I've found a good bit of that near me?

Honestly cant comment of the Wych Elm as ive not used it, but there is some up the lane here that might "need a trim" later in the year, might have to give it a go, but your spot on Elm is a lovely wood to look at, just hard work to carve, worth it in the end though

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE