Elderflower, Elderberries.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TallTom

Forager
Mar 23, 2014
Surrey
So its the start of elderflower season, more blooms coming out each day, at least it is in West London.

So does anyone have any good recipes?

Could be for the flowers or the berries. Wine, cordial, pontak sauce, all welcome.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I've always followed Hugh Fernley-whittingstal's recipe for Elderflower Champagne and it's always been very good....should be available online if you do a bit of searching .

Cheers,

Bam. :)

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Elderflower fritters.
Make up a simple coating batter, possibly sweetened with some sugar or honey.
Take the whole elderflower heads, each with a stalk of a couple of inches.
Hold the head by the stalk and dip it into the batter, swirling it about a bit to ensure it is coated.
Plunge it into hot oil for just long enough to turn the batter crispy
Take it back out, hold it by the stalk, and eat it.
Throw the stalk away.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
You can make a sweet white 'dessert' wine when the flowers come out and it will be ready bu Christmas. It's like bottled sunbeams in the dark and dreary depths of Winter.
t2801.gif

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
The flowers make a lovely flavouring when steeped in spirits like Ouzo, Gin or Vodka. Don't wash the flowers (ruins the taste) just tap off any bugs.
The flavoured ouzo makes a really nice drink with iced water in summer. Tastes like you are sitting in an ancient flower meadow on the last days of summer.
When used in the gin it's probably one of the nicest martini's you'll ever make. :thumbup: :D

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Elderflowers are a traditional starter for sourdough cultures for breadmaking.
I've been using one in the bakery for about 10 years now.Makes beautifully fragrant chewy crusty loaves and works as quickly as bakers' yeast.
Cheers, Simon

TallTom

Forager
Mar 23, 2014
Surrey
These are some great suggestions, thank you all.

I'm currently brewing my elderflower wine. And have finished off some elderflower cordial, going to have to make some more :)

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I make two diffferent elderberry wines, one is a strong wine, using approx 3lb of berries per gallon of wine, and the light uses 1lb per gallon. The Strong takes a couple of years to age before you can drink it. Whereas the light has a very short shelf life (<3 months), but is also ready to drink very quickly. If you make it in September it's ready to drink by Christmas. Needing &#8531;rd the amount of elderberries, I find myself increasingly making the light wine. To allow for a constant stock, I freeze the berries (destalked), in 3lb bags, so I can make another batch every 3 months...

Recipes available if interested.

J

TallTom

Forager
Mar 23, 2014
Surrey
I make two diffferent elderberry wines, one is a strong wine, using approx 3lb of berries per gallon of wine, and the light uses 1lb per gallon. The Strong takes a couple of years to age before you can drink it. Whereas the light has a very short shelf life (<3 months), but is also ready to drink very quickly. If you make it in September it's ready to drink by Christmas. Needing &#8531;rd the amount of elderberries, I find myself increasingly making the light wine. To allow for a constant stock, I freeze the berries (destalked), in 3lb bags, so I can make another batch every 3 months...

Recipes available if interested.

J
Sounds great, I'd love the recipes If your willing. I have just finished a batch of elderflower wine, tastes pretty good, but no flowers left now, going to have to wait for the berries.

Brynglas

I make an elderberry cordial/ syrup which I add rum or whisky to, always popular. I've made Pontack sauce according to Richard Mabeys recipe a couple of times, (currently using a 2003 batch!).
Elderflower cordial is good, and they make lovely fritters.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE