Elderberries

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 27, 2006
Kent
Anyone got any definitive thoughts on the toxicity of raw elderberries? What do you do (if anything) to process them for eating?

I'm very familiar with them myself, and only tend to use them cooked - but I'd like some thoughts from other people.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
chickenofthewoods said:
Anyone got any definitive thoughts on the toxicity of raw elderberries? What do you do (if anything) to process them for eating?

I'm very familiar with them myself, and only tend to use them cooked - but I'd like some thoughts from other people.
Firstly Chicken of the Woods welcome to BCUK!

On the subject of elderberries we have had a few chats on the subject - Moonraker (Simon) offers some very salient advice on this post if I could point you to it

Elderberries

Nice to see you over here

Red

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
Hey Red.... Nice to come out of the woodwork at last! :)

Yep, that's the advice I've been passing on. I just wanted to see what take others might have on it. I've come across the juice story before (although I hadn't realised that the dimwits were using the leaves as well as the berries, talk about asking for it! :rolleyes: Geeze.... )

Elder is a dodgy one I find because everyone asumes they know it. Just goes to show though, don't assume - do the homework!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
So...go on...I never cook the berries for wine - and have had no problems...due to the effects of alcohol perhaps?

Red

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
:D Yep, & if you throw up afterwards you just assume it was the alcohol that did it!

Nah, really I suspect that it may be something to do with the chemical changes that take place during the processing - also, if you steep your fruit in boiling water to release the juice, it seems to be just enough to destroy the mild toxicity of the raw berries. I have a steam juicer, which seems to have the same effect and pastuerises the fruit juice as it works.

Does kill off the natural yeasts tho'. So not much use if you want to experiment by brewing without using purchased wine yeast.

geoff88

Forager
Jul 14, 2006
SW England
I have a copy of British Poisonous Plants a HMSO publication From 1968. It says about Common and Dwarf Elder.
"They have a certain reputation among country peopleas purgatives when the bark, leaves or berries are eaten. There are few modern records of their having seriously poisoned animals, which, if they eat them at all, do so in moderate amounts."

Don't know if this helps,

Geoff

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
Hi Geoff, I'd say that pretty much confirms what I knew.

The plants for a future webby* is good for info about medicinal uses, toxicity and edibility of plants. I've also spoken to various people about their experiences with the raw berries that seems to confirm their mild toxicity. If eaten in small amounts, you're unlikely to notice any side effects - but scoff too many and they'll probably get you - one end or the other!

*http://www.pfaf.org/

(If you've not come across this one before, it's very useful).

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
janiepopps said:
I got hold of some elderberry fruit leather last weekend at a festival. Apparently it was 50% apple & 50% elderberry.

Anyone ever made it before?

j
I have never made it from elderberry but that sounds a good combination :)

I have made fruit 'cheese' and leather before from wild plums and also quince. it lasted well and was avery good 'energy' food. It is a traditional method of preserving fruit in a glut. If you like I can dig out the recipes for both. But hide it from kids as they will demolish it in no time ;)

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
British Red said:
Bonsoir M Simon - the blackcurrant blog just finished - can I offer you a glass? :D

Red
Bon matin I think now mate :) oh! good news, will pop over and take a look tomorrow. A glass sounds very tempting thanks Red. When I get over to the UK for the start of my course I may well take you up on that :D

janiepopps

Nomad
Jan 30, 2006
Heavenly Cornwall
Moonraker said:
I have never made it from elderberry but that sounds a good combination :)

I have made fruit 'cheese' and leather before from wild plums and also quince. it lasted well and was avery good 'energy' food. It is a traditional method of preserving fruit in a glut. If you like I can dig out the recipes for both. But hide it from kids as they will demolish it in no time ;)

That would be great thanks Moonraker. It did taste wonderful, and we've tonnes of elderberries this year!

j

PS whats the difference with fruit cheese?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Fruit leathers are excellent, and elderberry is surprisingly tasty. Add just a squeeze of lemon to bring out the taste of the elderberries though even if using apples 50:50 in the mix.

Y'know there's an awful lot of opinions and postulating about elderberries. They're just coming into season, why not just try them?
See if a small handful of raw ones does make you feel awful or not. Me? I'm fine with them :)
But, that said, I'm fussy because I *know* that every tree is different. Sharp and tangy/ sweet but bland/ smell or scent/ bloom or waxy. The only way to figure out the ones you prefer is to smell and eat two or three from different trees.
Don't eat the leaves, do try to wash your hands after handling cut bark or leaves, don't pick near traffic or industrial pollution, don't gorge on the fruit until you are absolutely sure that your gut is fine with them............oh, and they're ripening up here *now* :D Too useful a natural resource to ignore I think.

atb,
Toddy

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
janiepopps said:
That would be great thanks Moonraker. It did taste wonderful, and we've tonnes of elderberries this year!

j

PS whats the difference with fruit cheese?
There is a good explanation of the process of making fruit leather here;

How to Make Fruit Leather

Here is a recipe for a nice looking fruit cheese;

Apple Cider Cheese

and a variation from Waitrose;

Apple Cheese

There is a great recipe from Mrs Beeton;
DAMSON CHEESE.

1536. INGREDIENTS.—Damsons; to every lb. of fruit pulp allow 1/2 lb. of loaf sugar.

Mode.—Pick the stalks from the damsons, and put them into a preserving-pan; simmer them over the fire until they are soft, occasionally stirring them; then beat them through a coarse sieve, and put the pulp and juice into the preserving-pan, with sugar in the above proportion, having previously carefully weighed them. Stir the sugar well in, and simmer the damsons slowly for 2 hours. Skim well; then boil the preserve quickly for 1/2 hour, or until it looks firm and hard in the spoon; put it quickly into shallow pots, or very tiny earthenware moulds, and, when cold, cover it with oiled papers, and the jars with tissue-paper brushed over on both sides with the white of an egg. A few of the stones may be cracked, and the kernels boiled with the damsons, which very much improves the flavour of the cheese.

Time.—1 hour to boil the damsons without the sugar; 2 hours to simmer them slowly, 1/2 hour quickly.

Average cost, from 8d. to 10d. per 1/3 lb. pot.

Sufficient.—1 pint of damsons to make a very small pot of cheese.

Seasonable.—Make this in September or October.
The trick with crushing the kernels is good as it imparts a natural almondy flavour but don't overdo it as raw they are poisonous; cooked however like this it is OK.

Basic difference is the texture, where fruit leather is dried to a leather-like texture, a fruit cheese is solid but still moist. Both will last in a cool dry place, but leather lasts longer. I use a glass jar (with rubber seal) to store this.

Personally I use the excellent book on preserving which includes this and any other ways called;

Schwartz, Oded 1996. Preserving. London: Dorling Kindersley. ISBN: 0789410532

Unfortunately it is out of print but worth hunting.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE