Eggs transportation.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
How do you transport your eggs, in a custom plastic case, in the box, in your pack, outside your pack. Do you take powdered eg and how do you get on with it? Last time they where in my bread bag in the cardboard box the came in, and I managed to crack one. Just looking for ideas.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I Pack the eggs in a plastic tub surrounded by flour or bannock mix (those lock and lock ones). Works brilliantly with the powder protecting the eggs.

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
I Pack the eggs in a plastic tub surrounded by flour or bannock mix (those lock and lock ones). Works brilliantly with the powder protecting the eggs.

Top tip Red... I have the lock & lock 12 egg box & one time when I used it the eggs had a particularly rough time & 2 or 3 got cracked... I had been thinking of padding with foam... I will be trying your tip the very next time I'm out! cheers.

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I claim no credit, I stole it off someone else :). Best bet is to half fill the box with bannock mix, nestle the eggs in, then top it up. Worth knowing if you add an egg to some bannock mix and water, you get a great pancake batter :)

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I, too, use the BR's method. Anything with smallparticles will do; rice, flour, oats etc., noods crushed in their bags work as egg packing (they cook quicker too).
I'm told, though I haven't tried it, that eggs boken into a clean nalgene bottle are good for a couple of days.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Like last post depends on end use. If you cant take eggs and a recipe like bread, cakes or the likes asks for them you can use a spoonful of mayonaise per egg instead. Works in sweet or savory mixes.
For a day trip in winter I boil one for each hand and use as a handwarmer for the first 40-50mins or so.
You can also boil an egg for a minute and it cooks the outside making it more resilient.
If you're carrying moss as tinder you can usually stuff an egg or two in there.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Personally i carry mine on a spoon like i was taught competitively at school

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Red can ask whats in your bannock mix please!

A pint of bread flour
A tablespoon of baking powder
Half a teaspoon of salt
Half a cup / 125ml of milk powder
2.5 tbs suet.

I put the whole lot in the blender and blend to a fine powder.

To be honest the salt and milk powder are optional and you can use self raising and atora for a pretty fair result. I think the milk powder improves the taste and texture so I add it.

bannock by British Red, on Flickr

5 cook by British Red, on Flickr

Then I add some sugar and dried fruit for a cake mix, just water for bread dough and more water plus an egg for pancake batter.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
If you only want to take one egg with you (raw or hard boiled), the To Go Egg Box from Clas Ohlson is pretty handy and cheap. Plus the salt cellar is handy.

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
Break the egg(s) into a small container and transport them that way. Provided there is not to much air space the yolks will remain intact. Alternatively beat them first.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I normally crack and bottle them. Swmbo got these microwave egg cooker things out of asda and you can take a couple in them though I don't mind them scrambled

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE